Registration and taxes in Virginia Beach

Tim-And-Lisa0
Level 1
Norfolk, VA

Registration and taxes in Virginia Beach

They just passed legislation in Virginia Beach stating that all AirBnb hosts have to register and pay an 8% tax.  We are Airbnb hosts in the town next door, Norfolk. Can anyone offer advice on how to find out if we need to register and, if so, how?  Also, will Airbnb help us to collect these taxes or do we need to pay it on our own?

Thanks for your help.

79 Replies 79

Hello Kip. I have a few questions about Airbnb in that area. Do you have direct contact info we’re I can reach you? 

Do you know amendments and restrictions are moving through the VB Planning Commission on Dec. 13th 2017 at 12 noon?

Short term rental amendments proposed in VB Planning Commission Dec. 13th at 12noon.

How do I go about registering with Virginia Beach and the state?

Look at my post at the beginning of this discussion thread.  That might help.

@Jordan41

State of Virginia - online at Virginia Department of Taxation.  VATAX Online for Businesses you can both register and start your monthly filing.

City of Virginia Beach - you are best off going to the Municipal Center and registering for a Trustee Tax Account at the offices of the Commissioner of the Revenue at Building 1.  

I am looking into renting my spare garage room with a private entrance through Airbnb.  Today i called the zoning office to ask about zoning requirements and the gentleman told me that what I am trying to do is not allowed.  Am I missing somehting?  I though Va Beach passed Airbnb legislation.

Steve Va Beach

The city of Virginia Beach allows short term rentals as long as you register for trustee tax (aka Transient Occupancy Tax) collection with the city Treasurers office. The rules were passed by VaBeach city council in Aug 2016.  You don't need to talk to zoning office - go to Commissioner of Revenue office in Bldg 1 at Municipal Ctr to register then pay 8% of receipts plus $2 per room night every month 

Hi, Kip,

We are new to this forum and realize this is an old message. We would like to make contact with AirBnBrs in Hampton Roads, as we are opening our property for larger groups in the next month or so. How can we make that connection? Is there a local Meetup? Thanks for any info. 

Hi Kip,

I'd like to talk to you about your rental in Virginia Beach as I'm looking to start one next year.  

Best,

Michael

Rosilyn0
Level 1
Charlottesville, VA

How do you obtain necessary paperwork to register? can it be completed online?

If you include it in your listing price then aren't your taxed on your tax? 

@Terrin0 To avoid paying tax on the tax you take the total payment by guest and divide it by 1.14 to get your taxable rental amount. So if guest pays $800 and you divide that by 1.14 you get $701.75. 14% of $701.75 is $98.25 which is the tax you have to remit.  In VaBeach 6% goes to State and 8% goes to City.  

How do you account for the $2 per night tax?  Are you taking that out before figuring your tax?

@Stephanie301

I didn't see clear guidance on the flat $2 tax so I do not reduce the taxable rental amount by that. I figure it has a small impact and a conservative approach was best in light of ambiguity.