Rental Scam! Red Flags and How to Avoid.

Answered!

Rental Scam! Red Flags and How to Avoid.

*The reason why I started a new coversation regarding rental scams is because "the owner" I contacted sounded legit and seemed to know Airbnb long-term rental rules. Different from other scamming stories I read online, he did not ask me to transfer money outside of Airbnb (at least not yet). Instead, he indicated that everything, including the payment and the rental contract, will go through Airbnb. However, he still raised lots of red flags (details down below). After contacting Airbnb Customer Support, they confirmed that the emails were sent by an unauthorized party.*

*From what I know and hear, Airbnb DOES NOT have local agents to help handling the rental matters.*

*Check the website URLs. Should be under "www.airbnb.com". Otherwise are fake.*
*If you are in doubt, contact Airbnb Customer Support before taking any actions (including clicking links in the emails if any).*  

For the past few weeks, I have been searching for an apartment to rent in Miami. I found this too-good-to-be-true listing on both rental website (Zumper) and advertisement on Facebook Marketplace. For those who don't have much idea about Miami rental price: normally a 1 bed/1 bath apartment cost around $1,200+ just the place itself. This listing offers $1,000 only for a 2bed/2bath townhouse including all utilities (water, electricity, internet etc.). Out of curiosity, I made contact through Facebook message. It was later on directed to Zumper for "the owner" to contact me via email. At first he sounded cool (tho explained a little too much), but soon rasied lots of red flags once he mentioned Airbnb. 

1. No listing post available on Airbnb site.
  2. Described Airbnb as "the biggest international website dealing specifically in rental properties." 
  3. Ask for information in order to "provide Airbnb with your details."
    (Never heard hosts booking for renters on Airbnb. Should be the other way round!)
  4. Only allows potential tenants to check on the property after paying full amount deposit (in my case $1,000).
    (Mentioned refund but do not trust them! Why don't you allow people to book one day stay with a discounted price (or even in full) to check on the property?) 
  5. "The property looks like in the pictures."

Other detials I found weird:

- Almost exact wording as other Airbnb scams people shared online. "If you decide to proceed with this transaction, ..."

- Keep mentioning Madrid/Spain. Okay, I get it. You live in Madrid/Spain. 

- Interesting timing. He sent me emails at 6:58pm, 10:05pm, and 10:43am EST. I did a little math, it should be 12:58am, 4:05am, and 4:43pm Madrid/Spain time. Sounded like a hardworking person who is very eager to rent out his property in Miami/USA.

Following are the emails:

Hello,
My name is Miguel Rufino Garcia and I am the owner of the property I am happy to let you know that it is still available for long or short term rental. I bought this property for my daughter during her studies in the US, but now she is back home in Spain, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time (obviously preferable for long periods).
The property looks like in the pictures. The utilities (cold/hot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, 1 parking spot, dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, etc.) are INCLUDED in the price of $1,000 per month. One month deposit of $1,000 is also requested and fully refundable once you decide to leave the apartment (with a 30 days notice before). As from my side, I will never ask you to leave the apartment because my daughter is permanently living here in Madrid/Spain, so we won't disturb you.
Before we proceed I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the property, and for how long.
All the best from Spain,
Miguel

Hi again,
Everything sounds good, but as I said, I live in Madrid/Spain and unfortunately i cant be present to deal in person. I can arrange to rent the apartment from Spain through AIRBNB, which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.
I hope you are familiar with Airbnb, but if not i'll explain you how it works..
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name, the date when you want to enter in the apartment, how many people would live there and for how long.. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them with your details. Next you will receive a notification message with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys with the rental contract.
This is the only way i can proceed, so hopefully you will find it ok in order to secure the apt in your favor...
Let me know,
Miguel

Hello again,
At this moment i dont have it listed on Airbnb, but if you are interested, Airbnb will send you a notification and you can see the listing with pictures and description on Airbnb website. Also on the notification, you will receive the steps on how you need to proceed in order to book the apartment. Everything will be thru them, including the payment and sign of the rental contract. Once you confirm the booking with Airbnb, an agent from them will show you the apartment. However, they will ask you to pay them the security deposit in amount of $1,000 before that. They will hold your funds and they wont release anything to me until you have checked the apartment, you decide to rent it and we sign the rental contract. At any time, you can request for a refund if you are not happy with the apartment.
Please send me your full name, phone number, the date when you want to enter in the apartment, how many people would live there and for how long.
Looking forward to receive your email.

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

176 Replies 176

@Jade236  They probably live behind a computer screen in Mom's basement, telling Mom they're taking online courses.

@Sarah977 

Nailed it. 

April307
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I am so glad I found this thread! I was looking at an apartment in Arizona and received something very similar except the daughter was moving to California because she got married!

“Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We own the place and our daughter lived there until 2 month ago when she got married and she moved back to CA.
That`s why we decided to rent it.

Unfortunately, because of my job, it will be a bit difficult to meet you personally for the moment, we are from CA and I am unable to travel right now. Last week I came there to meet a couple who was interested, but they never showed up, and it's not comfortable to fly back and forth from CA, especially when work commitments are made. Because of that we decide to make everything through Airbnb, an international company that mainly deals with rentals.
They will organize the inspection and will also assist you in managing the payment.

I`ll make the booking registration for you with Airbnb, and they will send you by e-mail the booking confirmation containing all the rental information including the payment information.
You`ll have to make a down payment of 1 month of rent to Airbnb and after they will receive it, an agent will be assigned for your reservation, which will contact you to inspect the place. Can be even the same day when the down payment was made.

If you like the place, you`ll sign the lease, you`ll get the keys from the Airbnb agent and you can move in right away.
The down payment is 100% refundable, after the inspection if you do not like the place and you do not want to rent it, Airbnb will return your down payment in full immediately.

If you would like to proceed, please give me your details (full name, current address and phone number) and we will make the registration for you with Airbnb.

Anne Sanders”

Me too! So glad I did my research before paying, ... 

Hi folks, I had experience with this guy. 

Nicodemus Vassallos <nicodemus.vassallos@gmail.com:

Hello,

Please permit me to explain  you , how works Airbnb for long term rentals .

1. First of all , to can an register the transaction with Airbnb I need :

- your full name and full address ( address , city , zip code , country ) ;
- a copy ora photo of your ID  (identity card )  ( Airbnb need to verify your details )
- your phone # (a valid mobile number where Airbnb can contact you);
- the exact date from when you want to move there
- how many person will live there

2. Once I will receive your details I will go at Airbnb  to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as , the intended receiver.

3. Airbnb will check all documents  that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership , with their Real Estate Professional Department .
They will also confirm that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.

4 . After everything is checked , Airbnb will send you the link with my apartment on their website. There you can book my apartment. To can book it they will ask for a safety deposit equal with 3 rental months . This three months represents the period of accommodation .

5. After you will check the apartment and you will sign the contract , the deposit will remain for the payment for this first 3 rental  months.
After this first  3 months, if everything will be fine , and you want to remain in my apartment , the contract will be extended automatically for long term rental.

6. The deposit is required for Airbnb not for me  . This is  just a formality and it won't obligate you to rent the apartment , it is a safety deposit, just to be sure that this is not a joke and I don't pay the transport taxes for nothing to an person  that doesn't exist  . In this way will be sure for both , because the money will remain at Airbnb until you will see the apartment, and only after this ,if everything will be fine , I will receive the money.

7. !!! IMPORTANT !!! the payment of the deposit will be done, through Airbnb platform , using your credit card .  Everything is 100% secure , and all money will remain in their custody until you will see the apartment .
I will receive your money only after you check the apartment and you sign the contract .  

8 . After the deposit is done , Airbnb will start the delivery and the keys will be in Slovakia in 4  days . Once the keys will be there one of their agents will call you and you will meet with him to see the apartment . The contract will be signed only after you check the apartment .

9. If something will be wrong , and you don't want to rent the apartment , the Airbnb agent ,will give you , your money back ; and then they will give me back the keys.

Let me know if everything is clear ? or if you have other questions ?

Thank you"

- Wanna to lose money and your identity as extra bonus? 

- Be careful and stay safe. 🙂

Hey there, 

I had a similar experience. I didn't proceed because I recognised the red flags, but share this to prevent others from proceeding in this already hard time. 

The ad was for an apartment in Utrecht (the Netherlands) and was placed on Marktplaats by 'Sander' from Borculo. He asked for an email, on which I received an email from Philip Purdy (contact@philip-purdy.com) from London. He claimed to rent the place because his son recently graduated and lived back in London again. 

THIS IS A SCAM

The address of the apartment is Pieterstraat 42 3512 JT Utrecht and has a price of 755 euros/month. He asks for a deposit of 1510 euros.

This is what he send me eventually:

The whole process is simple and safe. We believe you serious, please take care of our apartment. Pets are accepted but you must try to keep the furniture as clean as normal because I paid a lot of money for the renovation. If you are ready to proceed with the transaction i need to inform you how this works:
1. I will send you the Airbnb invitation so you can select the period and follow the steps to finish the booking and payment to Airbnb website.
2. Airbnb will require the deposit confirmation of the first month payment and security deposit (first month of rent + 1510 euro warranty (warranty, like I said, you will receive back at the end of the contract) = 2265 EUR). It will be done through their website.
3. After the payment is confirmed, the leasing process begins.
4. Airbnb will send an agent, and you will visit the apartment in his presence.
5. If everything is in order and you decide to rent the apartment, Airbnb will give me the money after you will sign the contracts of rental. Additional rents will be sent directly to my personal bank account.
6. If you refuse to rent the apartment, Airbnb will give you a full refund!
Now, if you are interested in renting the apartment I will need the next informations from your side:
Name:
Address:
City:
Postal code:
ID or passport copy attached via e-mail:
Phone Number Available:
I request all this details because i need to see that you are really interested in my apartment, i need to know more about you, I need to trust you.
P.S Since we cannot meet you personally, you will find a copy of my passport in the attachment so that you have a reference from your potential landlord.
Thank you.

I hope people google Philip Purdy and see this comment to prevent them from being scammed. I also feel sorry for the real Philip purdy since he was likely scammed before and now these people are using his identity.

Once again, Philip Purdy is a scam!

Bianca420
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

I just got this email....so yeah -__-

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We own the place and our daughter lived there until January when she got married and she moved back to CA.
That`s why we decided to rent it. Utilities included (• High-Speed Internet • Utilities: water/gas/electricity/heating/garbage • TV Cable • Parking Spot).

Unfortunately, because of my job, it will be a bit difficult to meet you personally for the moment, we are from CA and I am unable to travel right now. End of February I was there to meet a couple who was interested, but they never showed up, and it's not comfortable to fly back and forth from CA, especially when work commitments are made. Because of that we decide to make everything through Airbnb, an international company that mainly deals with rentals.
They will organize the inspection and will also assist you in managing the payment.

I`ll make the booking registration for you with Airbnb, and they will send you by e-mail the booking confirmation containing all the rental information including the payment information.
You`ll have to make a down payment of 1 month of rent to Airbnb and after they will receive it, an agent will be assigned for your reservation, which will contact you to inspect the place. Can be even the same day when the down payment was made.

If you like the place, you`ll sign the lease, you`ll get the keys from the Airbnb agent and you can move in right away.
The down payment is 100% refundable, after the inspection if you do not like the place and you do not want to rent it, Airbnb will return your down payment in full immediately.

If you would like to proceed, please give me your details (full name, current address and phone number) and we will make the registration for you with Airbnb.

Warmest,
Debbie

I just can't understand how this is possible, ... 

Thanks for sharing!

Take care

I got the same one!! Lol I was looking at one in Torrance ca her name is Debbie did she send you her ID? She sent me a picture

Caroline1613
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello,
Someone has tried to scam me yesterday. I have reported it to Air BnB but I am not sure if something will be done with it.

What can I do to avoid this happening to others?

The scam was soo good, I nearly fell for it!

Thanks,

Caroline

This is the email I received:

Eva <contact@whosalud.com>

+34 697 391 187

Hola,el piso tiene 2 dormitorios, 2 baño, 70 m2.
El piso es tal como se puede ver en las fotos, totalmente amueblado.El precio es de 500 euros / mes.
El depósito de seguridad/fianza es de 500 euros y se devuelve en el día cuando usted decide salir del piso.

Para comenzar la transacción de AirBnb, necesitaré la siguiente información de usted:
-Fecha cuando quieres entrar en el piso:
-Periodo en el que se desea alquilar el inmueble:
-Adultos:
-Primer nombre:
-Apellido:
-País:
-Teléfono:
-Envíame una copia de la tarjeta de identidad de la persona que desea alquilar el apartamento, tambien te envie la mia para saber quién está detrás de este correo electrónico.
Una vez que tengo los datos te paso el enlace con el piso en la web de airbnb para confirmar la reserva.
Usted hace el pago a Airbnb (1 mes de alquiler más el depósito, total 1000 euro) y debe hacerlo en 24 horas una vez que tenga la reserva.
Airbnb administrará el pago, por lo que me lo enviarán sólo después de firmar el contrato y mudarse. Si no desea alquilar la propiedad, airbnb te devuelve el dinero en su totalidad en 24 horas. Después de hacer el contrato, usted debe pagar el alquiler en mi cuenta bancaria cada mes.

¡Gracias!

PD: Por favor, lee mi mensaje muy bien. Si no tiene dinero o no desea pagar antes de visitar el apartamento, no me envíe ninguna información sobre usted.

Muy importante: solo AirBnb tiene acceso a esta transacción para mayor seguridad. Su dinero se mantendrá en custodia de AirBnb de manera segura y espero que lea bien mi correo electrónico y sepa que tiene que pagar antes de ver el apartamento.

@Caroline1613  This isn't an Airbnb matter. It is just an online scammer who creates a fake look-alike Airbnb site, get unsuspecting marks to send them money, and then disappear.  The place to report it is to your police cyber crimes division.

If you want an Airbnb, book it through the official Airbnb site, not answer some ad from Craigslist, Zillow, Gumtree, or anywhere else. If a legitimate Airbnb host advertises on one of those sites, they would just direct you to their Airbnb listing, not send you some long email with some bogus life story and tell you there's some Airbnb "agent" who'll give you keys, because no such thing exists.

Aura4589
Level 1
Alhambra, CA

I got an email for an apartment in Torrance ca. 750 utilities included in nice area.  Owner lives in NY and daughter moved after she married.  They even sent a picture of the ID. 

Sylvia201
Level 2
Harrogate, United Kingdom

This was in response to my query about an apartment listed on Idealista Portugal. The name of the person who responded was different to the one in the advert and the address was slightly changed. The apartment was not listed on Airbnb and the request for a scan of my passport made me search for scams....

Hello again,
I bought this apartment for my daughter during his studies, but now she is back home in Denmark permanently.
The monthly rent is € 350 for the entire apartment, including all utilities.
I want to pay in advance for a month's rent plus a € 700 deposit (I request this title because everything in the apartment is new and I want to be kept well ... I hope you understand), totaling € 1050.
Before renting my apartment on Airbnb for short periods, but now I don't have time to take care of it, which is why I want to rent it for a long period.
The entire rental process will continue to be managed by Airbnb, so they take care of inspection and payment. They help me because in the past I used Airbnb to rent my apartment for short periods for almost a year and I never had any problems. I will pay the fees, so that you have no additional costs (no agency fees).
Before we proceed, I would like to know a little about you, how many people you plan to live in the apartment and for how long.

You are a very nice person and I can guarantee that we will have no problems.
I will try to explain the process step by step how it will work.
First, you must book the apartment via Airbnb for one month and after making the reservation, Airbnb will email you the invoice with all the details about your reservation.
Once you receive the invoice, you have 24 hours to complete the payment and confirm your reservation.
As soon as Airbnb receives your payment, they will contact you to fix the inspection date. Their agent will come in 2-3 days after payment is confirmed to present the apartment and provide the contract. The contract is signed by me and you can choose how long you want to rent the apartment. The monthly rent will be the same for the entire period.
After inspecting the apartment, you have two options:
Option 1: You will stay in the apartment and sign the contract. After signing the contract, Airbnb will release your money to me.
Option 2: but I think you will not use this option, you will tell the agent that you do not want to rent my apartment and Airbnb will refund the money within 48 hours.
I chose Airbnb because they offer a guarantee for both of us.
To continue, I need a photo with your passport or any official document of yours. As soon as I receive this document, I will send the link to make the reservation.
PS: If you pay six months in advance, I will give you a discount of 15% of the total amount.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sylvia201  The request for a scan of your passport was one red **bleep**, although many European countries require that travellers are registered with the local police. So in fact, some countries require this information.

Airbnb hosts don't send you a long email about their personal circumstances.

There is no such thing as Airbnb agents who meet with you and give you keys or take you to inspect the unit.

The URL for the place isn't an Airbnb URL- it looks similar, but is a fake site.

Good thing you recognized this as a scam and didn't send your personal info or any money.