Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196
Rafael1025
Level 2
Dois Vizinhos, BR

Yeah, there's one very good reason for that saying: "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is".

A woman named Cristina Grossi contacted me offering a beautiful apartment here in Oporto with a 450 EUR rent, well below the average price even for a studio, or whatever it is called. I was surprised initially by how nice the apartment seemed by its pictures and by how affordable it was, but I kept thinking that it was too good to be true. And boy was I right!

Although I was suspicious, I replied, but the first thing I noticed was she first sent me an email from cristinagrossi78@outlook.com, then from cristinagrossi10@hotmail.com  and her signature had the address cristinagrossi72@hotmail.com.

That was the first clue, so I did some digging and here I am, feeling good that I discovered this scam before I went any further, but feeling bad for the people who actually sent the money to these guys.

Here is the first email, in Portuguese:

Apartamento T0 Porto Centro
Obrigado pelo seu interesse no meu apartamento localizado na Rua do Campo Alegre 754 4150-003 Porto .
O aluguel é de 450 Eur por mês sem custo extra (aquecimento, água, eletricidade, internet e TV, 1 parking estão incluídos
no aluguel mensal).Se você está realmente interessado em alugá-lo, escreva-me e eu vou explicar como podemos prosseguir.
Será ótimo se você fala inglês para uma melhor comunicação.
Área útil 63 m²
Todo o apartamento custa 450 euros  com todos os utilitários incluídos.
Apartamento T1 de alta qualidade em localização Premium, com acabamentos modernos de excelência e grande luminosidade.
Cozinha totalmente equipada.Para sua comodidade, o apartamento  ficará totalmente mobilado e equipado.

Here is the second:

I just read your e-mail regarding my apartment located in Rua do Campo Alegre 754, 4150-003 Porto.
It has 1 bedroom , 1 living room with kitchen and 1 bathroom (630m2).
I bought this apartment for my daughter during her studies in Portugal, but now she's back home permanently, so I'm renting the place for unlimited time. Before we go any further I would like to know a little something about you, like how many persons you intend to live in the apartment, and for how long. The flat is exactly like in the pictures, furnished and renovated. The utilities (coldhot water, electricity, wireless broadband Internet, digital TV, etc.) are included in the price of rent ,you will have one parking spot , the rent is 450 EURmonth . The guarantee deposit is EUR 450,00, and you get it back, when you decide to leave the apartment (you will have to give me at least 30 days notice). As for me, you can rest assured that I will never ask you to leave the apartment. My daughter is building her life here, and i am too old to move to Portugal, so we won't disturb you.
You can use my furniture, or you can also use your own if you prefer. If you decide to use yours, you will have access to a very large and well ventilated cellar, where you can store my furniture.
Now, a little bit about myself so we can get to know each other better. My name is Cristina Grossi and I'm a 56 years old ,Company Director of Italfarmaco SpA from Milan/Italy, planning to retire in the next 2 years. I have a lovely husband, Emilio and a 26 year old daughter, Rosalia. I am very proud to say that soon I'm going to be a grandmother ). Another member of our family is a 8 year old Labrador which we all love, so, I have no problem if you will keep pets.
The only inconvenience is that my job doesn't allow me to leave Milano even for one single day. We just hired some new staff and I'm in charge of their training.
But this won't affect you at all. I can make arrangements to rent the apartment from Milan (on my expense of course).
Looking forward to hear from you soon.
All the best from Italy!

Yeah, so thank God I was careful and that my Spidey sense was working well. One thing to note is she hadn't mentioned anything about Airbnb yet, but I believe it would be one of their next steps if I showed interest.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Please report this on the platform you saw it on.

Diego1028
Level 2
Belo Horizonte, BR

We almost got scammed with a similar story, we are looking for a place to rent in Lagos in Algarve - Portugal, the person identified itself as Alicia Howe and asked for the payment of one month rent plus deposit via an AirBnB link she would provide after sending the passport photo. Here are the messages, one in portuguese and the second message in english.

We also found the photos she sent us via WhatsApp on another website for long term rentals, we do not know if its the same scam or a real appartment owner:
https://housinganywhere.com/room/1532384/es/Madrid/calle-del-conde-de-romanones

We also found the photos on many other listings via google search by image, but they seem to be already removed.

I'm leaving the content of the messages here for someone checking it in portuguese. Hopefully it will help other not to get scammed 🙂

####### Message 1 #######

Olá
O apartamento está disponível para aluguel em boas condições, totalmente mobiliado e bem equipado, como nas fotos. Está disponível imediatamente e por quanto tempo você deseja.
Meu nome é Alicia Howe, sou a dona do apartamento e sou do Reino Unido. Eu comprei este apartamento para minha filha durante seus estudos, mas agora ela está de volta em casa permanentemente.
O aluguel mensal é de 420 euros por apartamento inteiro e inclui todos os serviços públicos (Internet / Água / Gás / Eletricidade / TV a cabo). Quero antecipadamente o pagamento de 1 mês de aluguel € 420 mais uma caução de € 800 (você receberá a caução no final do contrato) ... no total de 1.220 €.
Eu peço este depósito de danos, porque tudo no apartamento é novo e eu quero ser bem conservado ... espero que você entenda.
Recentemente, sou funcionário de um navio de cruzeiro e ficarei fora por três meses e não posso vir lhe mostrar o apartamento. Antes deste trabalho, aluguei meu apartamento no Aribnb por curtos períodos, mas agora com esse trabalho não tenho tempo para cuidar dele e é por isso que quero alugá-lo por um longo período.
Todo o processo de locação continuará sendo gerenciado pelo Airbnb, para que eles cuidem da inspeção e pagamento. Eles me ajudam porque no passado eu uso o Airbnb para alugar meu apartamento por curtos períodos e nunca tive problemas.

Antes de prosseguirmos, gostaria de saber um pouco sobre você, como quantas pessoas você pretende morar no apartamento e por quanto tempo.
Obrigado e espero sua resposta.

##############

####### Message 2 #######

You seem to be a very nice person and I can assure you we will not have any problems.
I will try explain the process step by step how this will work...as I told you, we will do this transaction via Airbnb.First you must reserve the apartment via Airbnb for one month and after you've made the booking, Airbnb will send you via email the invoice and all details about your booking.
As soon as you will receive the invoice you have 24 hours to complete the payment to confirm your booking. 
As soon as Airbnb will receive your payment, they will contact you to fix the date of inspection and their agent will come in 2-3 days after your payment is confirmed to present the apartment and give you the contract. The contract is signed by me and you can choose to rent my apartment for how long period you want.
Once you inspected the apartment you have two options:
Option 1: You will take the apartment and sign the contract. After you've signed the contract Airbnb will release me your money.
Option 2: But I don't think you will use this option, you'll tell to the agent that you don't want to rent my apartment and Airbnb will refund you the money in 48 hours.
I've chosen Airbnb because they offer a guarantees for both of us.To continue I need from you a photo with your Passport ID or any official document of you. As soon as I'll receive this document I'll send you the link to make the booking.
PS: If you'll pay for 6 months upfront, I'll make you an discount of € 50 for every month.

##############

The same people who tried to scam me. 

Shame!

The same story is happening to me!! All the messages are the same, but this time the name of the "owner" is Mariere Joicelyne from Belgium. Fortunately I didn't send the money but I sent them the foto with my ID. Do you think I have to report to the police?

***BEWARE 618 N Sparks St, Burbank, CA***

After going through this thread, I am 100% sure this is just another listing these ***hole scammers are using . 

Here is the initial response I received when I requested for more information via the Realtor app:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We own the place and our daughter lived there until 2 month ago when she got married and she moved to WA.
That`s why we decided to rent it.

Unfortunately, because of my job, it will be a bit difficult to meet you personally now for the moment we are in NY now and I am unable to travel right now. Last week I came there to meet a couple who was interested, but they never showed up, and it's not comfortable to fly back and forth from NY, especially when work commitments are made. Because of that we decide to make everything through Airbnb, an international company that mainly deals with rentals.
They will organize the inspection and will also assist you in managing the payment.

I`ll make the booking registration for you with Airbnb, and they will send you by e-mail the booking confirmation containing all the rental information including the payment information.
You`ll have to make a down payment of 1 month of rent to Airbnb and after they will receive it, an agent will be assigned for your reservation, which will contact you to inspect the place. Can be even the same day when the down payment was made.

If you like the place, you`ll sign the lease, you`ll get the keys from the Airbnb agent and you can move in right away.
The down payment is 100% refundable, after the inspection if you do not like the place and you do not want to rent it, Airbnb will return your down payment in full immediately.

If you would like to proceed, please give me your details (full name, current address and phone number) and we will make the registration for you with Airbnb.

Thanks,

Anne Sanders.

Wow! I got one from Anne Sanders today, too. Same exact email word for word! 

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We own the place and our daughter lived there until 2 month ago when she got married and she moved back to CA.
That`s why we decided to rent it.

Unfortunately, because of my job, it will be a bit difficult to meet you personally for the moment, we are from CA and I am unable to travel right now. Last week I came there to meet a couple who was interested, but they never showed up, and it's not comfortable to fly back and forth from CA, especially when work commitments are made. Because of that we decide to make everything through Airbnb, an international company that mainly deals with rentals.
They will organize the inspection and will also assist you in managing the payment.

I`ll make the booking registration for you with Airbnb, and they will send you by e-mail the booking confirmation containing all the rental information including the payment information.
You`ll have to make a down payment of 1 month of rent to Airbnb and after they will receive it, an agent will be assigned for your reservation, which will contact you to inspect the place. Can be even the same day when the down payment was made.

If you like the place, you`ll sign the lease, you`ll get the keys from the Airbnb agent and you can move in right away.
The down payment is 100% refundable, after the inspection if you do not like the place and you do not want to rent it, Airbnb will return your down payment in full immediately.

If you would like to proceed, please give me your details (full name, current address and phone number) and we will make the registration for you with Airbnb.

Thanks,
Anne

The email that it came from was biolab@americanunited.club... that seemed suspicious to me. So glad that I found this thread here.

I had communication with the same email account (biolab@americanunited.club) last week (listing address was 57 Bristol Road, Medford, MA, 02115) and fortunately found this thread before any money was exchanged. This week I found another, which I am posting here so that people can be aware of the alias these scam artists are using.

From  Mario Ballesteros <mario@mr-balles.com> March 26, 2020 (listing address 5 Myrtle St, Boston, MA 02114):

"Hello again,

Thank you for your reply. The place is still available for rent and to move in right away. I want to tell you that i want to use Airbnb services For this long term rental. They will be in charge of everything (viewing, lease sign, maintenance, repairs etc), so both of us are safe and secure. I prefer this way since we dont live in the US anymore and we really want to find someone to rent this place for long term. We are relocating in Spain and we want to remain here in Spain for undetermined time(our daughter lived in the place for about 2 years). If you wish to continue, i will need your full name so i can start the transaction and Airbnb will contact you with all the steps and instructions you need to follow in order to view the property and sign the lease.

More details, rent price is $1,000 monthly with all everything included(electricity, parking, water, cable, internet). Also, it can be rented furnish or unfurnished and you would be allowed to bring your own furniture. The price is for the whole place and this is not a shared rental meaning that you are going to rent for yourself and not sharing with strangers.

looking forward for your reply.

Regards,

Mario Ballesteros"

I got the exact email from Anne Sanders too... EXACT!

the email was labs@abbottlhealthcare.club . SCAM

labs@abbottlhealthcare.club

Debbie Allen - HAHA ! I told her if you demand money before the tour of the unit then i will report you to cyber crime division .

Debbie Allen got upset when she thought I was accusing her of being a thief (before I 100% knew it was a scam, but I was suspicious). She attached a picture of a driver's license and everything, out of an act of good faith!

@Alex6647  You mean her fake or stolen driver's license? 🙂

Exactly! That's why I said "a driver's license" rather than "her driver's license." I feel bad for the real Debbie Allen whose identity is stolen!

biocare@ecopharminc.site Was the email address I got from Debbie Allen.