Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196

I need you help ! My friends because of me  became a victim of scum, they live in NY.
I helped them to find a sublet in Tel Aviv for their vacation period .
I found a post in Facebook in sublet group ( now it's been deleted)
After I conversetion by email with an owner of the post , i received a link from original , as i thought Airbnb email , to make a pre - reservation and sent it to my friends, so they can make it
But i cannot even imagine , that there will be instructions about bank transfer , and my friends didn't tell my anything , they just made this bank transfer...
After their transaction we received an email from Airbnb that reservation was confirmed , after two days we received email that reservation was cancelled.
I started figuring out , what happened. And the owners of the post on Facebook just talking like everything is ok. And they asking for a bank receipt to approve the reservation on Airbnb.
We didn't send them any receipt , and if I'm on the right way - they cannot get the money from their bank without receipt, that's why they continue ask about it . Please tell me that i think right...Money were sent from US bank to the bank account in Spain ...

Is there any chance to get the money back?

My friends were in there bank already , i they got a negative answer.
I have all the screenshots if it's necessary.

Klaris3
Level 1
QC, Philippines

We experienced the same! We were looking for an apartment and found it on Facebook Marketplace. The story checks out... "daughter" posted on FB Marketplace, passed on to her mother saying she is back for good in her country and her mom manages property remotely. "Mom" gets in contact via WhatsApp with a seemingly legit phone number from Spain. When she started replying with these long disengaged messages with bad grammar, I just had to google the exact words and boom we're all here. I feel sorry for those who fell for it completely. I hope Airbnb does something?

Hey people,

glad to have found this thread.

I’ve just now been in contact with someone on ImmoScout24 about an apartment in Berlin that frankly seemed just a bit too good to be true. Not amazingly so, but still. The first thing that made me a bit cautious was that the email sender had a different name than was listed on ImmoScout. It also felt like they hadn’t read my original message. When I answered positively and asked some questions, it seemed like they didn’t read that email either and just dumped a long chunk of text very much in the style of what’s been seen in this thread:

”Hi there,

Thank you for your response.The pictures are attached.
The apartment is available for long term.Minimum for rent is 1 month but can stay 15 years or more if you want. The contract start when you want.
The apartment can be furnished or unfunished you choice after you view it!! In case that want it unfurnished i will speak with a storage and they come to picked up my furniture but if you want to keep some things, you can keep it .
The price is 525 Eur included utilities and 1.000 Eur as deposit(will be returned when you leave the apartment.).
Like I said, I live in the Cadiz-Spain and cannot travel(because of my full contract-work) to show you the apartment.  I chose to rent the apartment through Airbnb, so my presence is not necessary. I take care of the entire process, you don't have to worry about that.
I list the apartment on Airbnb and I send you the link that you can use to book it.
After booking with Airbnb you will receive a signed copy of the rental agreement and apartment keys.You reserve the apartment on airbnb website, we do a normal rental contract in case you like to stay in the apartment.
We will only use Airbnb services for the first month.
If you decide to turn down the apartment, you will be refunded the full amount on the same day. I have a contract with Airbnb and they have the best security methods available.

Thank you”

The bit about AirBnB sounded so weird that it made me go look if this was some kind of scam, and here I am.

I guess I’ll report this and move on.
Ezhena0
Level 2
Prague, Czechia

Hey, I came across this scam to rent an apartment in Prague.

The price was too-good-to-be-true also. 

Thank you for answer , the price is for the total apartment .

My name is Chehade Sara  and I am working at Hospital  and I am the owner of the apartment . I lived in this apartment until 03 March 2022 , My job there has an

initial contract for three years although this may be extended.They moved me in United Kingdom , London  ( PALS Whittington Hospital ) for new project, so the

apartment is available for short and long-term . The apartment is fully furnished with all the necessary equipment and appliances. As you saw in the pictures it is in

excellent condition, very clean and well kept. The rent will be  15.000 Kc  per month including utilities (hot/cold water, electricity, Internet, cable TV) and parking

space .  

You have full access to all building amenities. That's all I can say for now until you have a taste of my place.You can rent in short term and long (1 month  minimum

and 3 years maximum). The domiciling will be possible .

In the meantime, can you please confirm the following:

· How many people would be living at the property?

· When would you like to move in?    

· What term/length lease would you like?

· Do you have any pets?

If further interested, please give me some information about yourself (age, job, lifestyle or whatever you think makes you a good tenant).

· You will see the apartment after I will explain you step by step how the viewing procedure works .

Please feel free to ask any questions ,

Thank you

Thank you for responding  .  

Due to the current  situation we  can do this transaction through biggest estate agency from world , Airbnb  (https://www.airbnb.com/plus ) . In this way, you will meet with the agent  in less than 48 hours to inspect the apartment and you will be able to view the apartment . To avoid any misunderstanding I will be gladly to explain you step by step how the viewing procedure works:

To reserve the apartment I need to send some details :

. When would you like to move in(exact date) :

. Period of the contract:

. Adults:

. Name:

. Address:

. Valid Cell phone number /Whats app to agent Airbnb contact you : 

.  A copy of your ID,passport or driving license by email ( scan or photo) and a picture of you for inspection and to prepare all necessary papers for you to become a future tenant. 

Once I get your details, I will contact Airbnb with them to start the procedures and I will give you the link with my listing on their website,there you can book my apartment.

You will complete the Booking and pay to Airbnb for confirm your reservation (The deposit consists of first month rent + the security deposit (15.000 Kc this amount you will receive back after finish the contract )= 30.000 Kc  to Airbnb and is just to reserve the apartment and not a commitment. You have full payment control until you will check the apartment), you will meet with the agent  in less than 48 hours to inspect the apartment and make the papers.If you will be satisfied with the apartment, you can move there in the same day. All you have to do is to sign the rental contract and Airbnb will release the payment to me.   I'm quite confident you will like the apartment, but if not, you still have the option to cancel, and get your deposit back from the agent, immediately but I am sure that you will be happy after you will move in the apartment .Agent of Airbnb check the apartment before and everything is OK , the apartment is like on the photos.

Let me know if everything is clear ?  

Thank you   

Sara

Rosana210
Level 1
Cologne, Germany

Hello,

Another version of the same scam. A lovely apartment in Winterthur Zürich - Neumarkt 13 - Price seemed too good to be true and the “owner who lives in Spain” cannot come to show it because he had a bad experience with another interested party and lost time and money.

It just didn’t add up. The whole renting process was too complicated involving sending money before even seeing the apartment. We actually rented long term apartment through airbnb that we then converted into an actual rent through a management office, so we knew something was really fishy. - We are also very distrustful of EVERYTHING - to our fortune I guess.

Here are the emails he sent me and the “story” they are currently using 

Email address: aiak9018@gmail.com and his “name” is Martin Meier

1st email:

Thank you for your interest. I am sorry but my German is not so good so I will reply to you in English. Located at Neumarkt 13, 8400 Winterthur, a quiet and secure street, close to all amenities and schools. Very clean and bright, in a secured building, with a surface of 75 m². The apartment is exactly as you can see in the attached photos (can be rented unfurnished also).
The monthly rent is CHF 1'200 (all utilities are included - electricity, water, heating, gas, internet, cable TV).
I am the owner and I have worked in Switzerland for five years as an energy consultant for different companies. One year ago I had to leave my job there and move with work to Spain, where I live now.
The apartment is available as we speak, has all the facilities and aids: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high-speed internet, pets are allowed and registration available.
I intend to rent the apartment for unlimited period. Any other details about yourself would be appreciated.

2nd email

Thank you for your reply. I don't have any restrictions about dog's size or breeds.

I'd like to show you my apartment, but I am not there to set up an appointment. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends or relatives in Switzerland and last month I took 2 days off from my job and came to show the apartment to a person that was interested in renting it and when I arrived, he told me he's no longer interested in my apartment. I have lost money and time. I do have a solution for this inconvenience, I chose Airbnb, so you can inspect the apartment and move in (we will use Airbnb's services only this first time).

The rental procedure is very simple. I will publish the apartment on the platform and you will have to book it yourself. I have to open a reservation via Airbnb and register you for an inspection. For this, I'll need your contact details (Scan/photo of ID or passport, address, phone number).
You will have to send the payment for the first month of rent + 2 months as warranty (security deposit/Mietkaution) to Airbnb. The payment is a simple formality and by paying you are not obliged to rent the property, as Airbnb only wants to verify your identity and to have a confirmation that you have the funds available if you decide to rent the property. Once you have confirmed the payment, you will be contacted by Airbnb to schedule a suitable date and time so you can view the property. You will meet an agent who will show you the property on my behalf. After you will check the apartment, if you decide to rent the flat, I will personally come and make the arrangements with you (the tenancy contract will be made under Swiss law and regulations).
I'm quite confident you will like the apartment, but if not, you still have the option to cancel and get your full payment back in your account, immediately, directly from Airbnb.
I will wait for your reply.

I don’t know where else to share this apart from airbnb - hopefully less people will be scammed by them

Same story , Switzerland Thalwil : 

Wannenstrasse 4 , Thalwil 

aiak9018@gmail.com Martin MeierScreenshot 2022-07-28 095929.jpg

"Hello Joanna,

Thank you for your interest. I am sorry but my German is not so good so I will reply to you in English. My apartment is still available. Located at Wannenstrasse 4, 8800 Thalwil, a quiet and secure street, close to all amenities and schools. Very clean and bright, in a building secured by digicode, with a surface of 75 m². The apartment is exactly as you can see in the attached photos (can be rented unfurnished also).
The monthly rent is CHF 1275 (all utilities are included - electricity, water, heating, gas, internet, cable TV).
I am the owner and I have worked in Switzerland for five years as an energy consultant for different companies. One year ago I had to leave my job there and move with work to Spain, where I live now.
The apartment is available as we speak, has all the facilities and aids: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high-speed internet, pets are allowed and registration available.
I intend to rent the apartment for unlimited period. Any other details about yourself would be appreciated.

Thank you! I'm waiting for an answer,
Martin

Good morning Joanna,

Thank you for your reply with the info. I'd like to show you my apartment, but I am not there to set up an appointment. Unfortunately, I don't have any friends or relatives in Switzerland and last month I took 2 days off from my job and came to show the apartment to a person that was interested in renting it and when I arrived, he told me he's no longer interested in my apartment. I have lost money and time. I do have a solution for this inconvenience, I chose Airbnb, so you can inspect the apartment and move in (we will use Airbnb's services only this first time).
The rental procedure is very simple. I will publish the apartment on the platform and you will have to book it yourself. I have to open a reservation via Airbnb and register you for an inspection. For this, I'll need your contact details (Scan/photo of ID or passport, address, phone number).
You will have to send the payment for the first month of rent + 2 months as warranty (security deposit/Mietkaution) to Airbnb. The payment is a simple formality and by paying you are not obliged to rent the property, as Airbnb only wants to verify your identity and to have a confirmation that you have the funds available if you decide to rent the property. Once you have confirmed the payment, you will be contacted by Airbnb to schedule a suitable date and time so you can view the property. You will meet an agent who will show you the property on my behalf. After you will check the apartment, if you decide to rent the flat, I will personally come and make the arrangements with you (the tenancy contract will be made under Swiss law and regulations).
I'm quite confident you will like the apartment, but if not, you still have the option to cancel and get your full payment back in your account, immediately, directly from Airbnb.
I will wait for your reply.
Thank you,
Martin"

Alexandra1567
Level 1
Anderson, SC

I just received this email todayScreenshot_20220727-011635.png

Unfortunately, the same thing is happening in Rockford, IL 

Hi there, 
My name is Wilma, 37 years old and I'm in the military. The apartment is available, and can be rented indefinitely, so you can stay as long as you want. 2,100 sq feet, three bedrooms, two bath, supersize master bedroom, supersize living room and dining room, big balcony. 
It is quiet, has all the facilities: TV, parking, laundry, air conditioning, high speed internet and the list could go on and on. 
It is ideally situated for the varied amenities and transport links, schools, cafes, gyms, restaurants, shopping. Pets are allowed. 
The rental price is $1000 per month (all utilities included) and the security deposit is $1000. The total cost to move in is $2000.
The apartment is fully furnished, equipped with all the necessary appliances. 
The apartment can also be rented unfurnished. In case you have your own furniture, I will arrange the furniture for collecting and storing. 
I'm interested in renting through Airbnb which provides an online platform that connects hosts with guests. I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to take care of it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, lifestyle, etc)? 

3 Bedrooms | 2 Bathrooms Apartment | $1000 / Month 

Best Regards, 
Wilma Collins 

Of course, it was too good to be true. Thankfully I caught on with the 3rd email we exchanged and didn't send my ID. 
Russell302
Level 1
Wonersh, United Kingdom

Same thing in the UK.. this came from an initial contact on FB. FB does jack **bleep** about this. Been stringing this person along to see how far they push it

A viewing appointment can take place from 10th of September at a time that suits you.

The rent per month is £655.00 + £655.00 deposit to move in (one off payment through Airbnb).

I am in Spain now and would like to rent the property to you through Airbnb. You don't have to pay any fees to Airbnb, that's my responsibility.
I am willing to send the keys for you to view and check the apartment. The keys and rental agreement (signed by me) are delivered by Airbnb (www.airbnb.com). They also help us complete a transaction with a third party so that you can feel se...
I've been with Airbnb since 2015 and I'm a Superhost . How the Airbnb process works:

- I register the transaction with Airbnb
- You transfer a deposit to the Airbnb company
- You meet an Airbnb agent and inspect the apartment
- You approve the property, sign the contract and move in
- Airbnb forward the payment to me
- You do not like the flat, full refund is guaranteed

The refund policy applies to all Airbnb transactions anyway, but I'll include it in our rental agreement as well. However, if for any reason you are not happy with the apartment (which is hard to believe), AirBnb will return the money to your account within 24 hours.

To start the Airbnb transaction I need the following information from you:

-Your full name
-Phone number
-Copy or photo of your id, passport or driver license to draft the tenancy agreement

After I receive your details I will list the apartment on Airbnb and send you the link to complete the reservation and pay for the booking. The rental contract will be normal, long-term / open-ended, only the transaction needs to be secured through Airbnb.

At the moment I have at least 3 people interested in my apartment.
My apartment cannot be visited as a museum or as a tourist site.
If you really want an apartment you have to pay in advance. The money stays in the agent's custody until you see the apartment and sign the contract.
In case you don't like the apartment, just not sign the rental agreement and you get all the money back immediately.

I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for your time and nice cooperation.
I`ve also attached a copy of my id since I will be the person specified on the tenancy agreement.

Thank you,

Margareta
-----------------------------
Bagnoud Family(Margareta & Ignacio)
Healthy Food Farm
Come visit us at: bagnoud.farm
LinkedIN: margareta-bagnoud-246668248

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

So not only do they want to scam you out of your deposit but they are asking for ID information from you so they can commit further frauds. @Russell302 

Really horrible horrible horrible ***. ***

There needs to be a solution to this because innocent desperate people will find themselves in really bad situations because of these heartless evil lazy ***.

What makes them think they can take peoples hard earned money like that. People are out here working 40h+ shifts only for a lazy piece of dog poo that's sits at home all day try and take it. 

I caught onto this the second I received a response from them. If it's is too good to be true it probably is. 

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in renting my apartment, I'm flexible in renting a 3- to 48-month lease.
It's a 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom apartment!

The apartment comes fully furnished and with all the necessary amenities, exactly as you can see in the pictures, with dishwasher, washing machine, air conditioning, TV and internet. The pets are accepted. Also, it's a private parking space available for free.

The rental price per month is £500, a rent for the first 2 months is required and security deposit is £500 (100% refundable when you leave) so the total cost to move in is £1,500. The additional costs (water, electricity, internet, digital television), which are included in the price, are also important.

My name is Ariana *** and I'm originally from Amsterdam, Netherlands. I have worked in England for three years and I bought the apartment during my stay there. I'm the owner of it. Now, I have moved with my work in Madrid, Spain for at least 4 years and I'm interested in renting through Airbnb. I'm looking for a serious and responsible person to care, keep the house clean and see it as his own home. It would be great if you can send me some personal information about you (age, employment, lifestyle, etc)?

If you are interested please let me know so I can explain how you can rent my apartment through Airbnb.

Pure ***. 

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

i received the same email and unfortunately I sent my documents, any recommendations on what to do now? 

Yamin47
Level 1
Lancaster, United Kingdom

I had this exact thing just happen to me. I contacted a rental listing on Facebook and they told me to email the owner. So I did. His first response already felt suspicious to me especially when he mentioned the property was being managed by Airbnb.  Also the email sounded rude, that rubbed me the wrong way. 

I’ve used Airbnb for a few years I know that’s not how they work. I was curious to see what they say about the ‘rental process’ so I responded that I’m interested tell me more. The guy then basically tell me to pay a month in advance and a month worth deposit BEFORE ever anything can proceed. Then ‘Airbnb’ will draw up the rental agreement and send it to my current address. He said I’ll then have an ‘Airbnb’ agent show me the apartment and if I decide I don’t want it my money will be refunded. 

Sure ok that doesn’t sound ridiculous at all. 

one quick way to find out if the posting of the apartments are real of fake is to take a screenshot of the pictures of the apartment/flat or the house you see and upload them into an app called (reverse image search App) and the app would show you the original source of the pictures, when I did  that I found out that the apartment   I was going to be scammed to rent was advertised (under the same “original” pictures) on an official real estate site for $5600 while the scammer was trying to convince me the she’ll rent it to me for $950 !!!!!   

Primož9
Level 1
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Another scam. Now for Holiday Apartment 5***** in Livigno, Via Olta 104B.  Host "is" Toni Felbin.