Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

Answered!

Rental scam using Airbnb? How should I go forward, if at all?

I have been trying to find an apartment and found a listing on a popular rental website (not Airbnb). We started e-mailing, and the owner told me that he lives in Spain and will be using Airbnb's services for payment. It didn't seem strange until this last email. What bothers me about this is that it doesn't seem to follow any of Airbnb's practices. It also threw up other rental scam red flags, such as the fact that he wants me to pay before seeing the property, he's asking for my personal information outside the Airbnb platform, and the place doesn't come up on the Airbnb search list. Here is the portion of the most recent e-mail that I find odd, copy/pasted, edited for clarity:

"If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name and address where you can be contacted for the keys and the rental contract. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them your information. Next you will receive a notification message from them, containing a receipt with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys and the rental contract.
Regarding the payment, you will get all the necessarily [sic] instructions on the invoice, so you can deposit the money for the first month along with the warranty, into an escrow bank account from AIRBNB. They will hold and insure your money until you check the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not.
As soon as you will complete the deposit of $1,100 + $1,100 = $2,200 into their bank account, an agent from Airbnb will meet and show you the property. You will be given one day inspection period to take a decision and [in case you are not satisfied with the apartment], next day the total amount will be refunded to you by Airbnb. If you'll like the flat then you can keep the keys, sign the contract, and we will fix a date for the monthly payment, that it has to be done by you directly to my personal bank account."

There's a lot about the whole exchance that seems quite.... off. The more I think about it, the stranger it sounds. There is nothing on Airbnb about "escrow accounts," etc. It just smells terribly fishy, and I want to make certain that my eagerness and need for a place to go doesn't get me ensnared into some scammer's net. 

So, what are your thoughts on this? 

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question surrounding this subject, please click on the "Start a conversation" button below 👇

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thank you

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

1,196 Replies 1,196
Martina139
Level 1
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I received exactly the same when trying to rent an apartment in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I googled his text and immediately this forum showed up.

I would like to expose him, does anyone know how can I do it?

Is unbelievable the evil these human being have with their equals, I can't understand it.

This were the Instructions;

1 - To start the process all I need is your full info(full name and address).

2 - I will go at Airbnb to deposit the keys and the contract on your name as the intended receiver.
3 - Airbnb will check the package to see if everything is in order and also the legal papers that will come along with the keys and proof of ownership with their Real Estate Professional Department.
4 - Airbnb will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the keys and the papers in their custody. They will also send you all the payment instructions to complete the rental transaction.
5 - At this point you will have to go to your Bank Location and make a money transfer to the bank account of Airbnb Representative for the amount we agreed, the total amount you shall deposit is $1000.
6 - After you make the deposit you will have to send the payment details to Airbnb.
7 - Airbnb will verify the transfer and if everything is in order they will start the shipping procedures using UPS or TNT Next Day Shipping Service.
8 - After you receive the package, you will go and check the apartment and in 3 days (inspection time) you must contact Airbnb to inform them if you keep the apt or not and if everything is in order you will instruct Airbnb to send me the information about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the funds. If you don`t like the apartment they will be sending the money back to you and you will send back the keys and contract. Airbnb can't release the funds without your approval.

Got the same message "from a lady" called Paula ** ([email address hidden]). Attaching mail below:

"Hello again,

Thank you for your very quick response, as I told you I am in Poland, but this is not a problem for this transaction because I still have a contract with Airbnb, and they will help us to close the deal. We can make the lease contract for 1 year with the possibility to continue.
Here is a brief description of how it works:
I need your full name and address so you can receive your invoice as a guest from Airbnb.
Once I will receive your info I will forward them to my Airbnb agent.
You will receive an invoice from them directly to your email address, where you will find their payment information's that you will use to make the deposit, 1 month rent + security deposit = 14.100 DKK.
After Airbnb will receive and confirm your deposit, an agent will bring you the keys and the contract at your exact address.
You will have 2 days to decide whether you want to rent it or not.
In case you do not want to rent the apartment for any reason you will receive a refund from Airbnb immediately.
In the event that you understood all Airbnb terms and conditions please send me your information's :

Arrival (move in date):
Adults:
children:

Name:
Surname:
Address:
City:
Telephone Number

Best regards,
Paula **

"

This is definitely a scam, so please report these guys.

Sille0
Level 1
Copenhagen, Denmark

This happened to me in Denmark two days ago. When the owner refused to talk to me on the phone with the excuse: "Airbnb advice us not to get in touch with the tenant until they confirm the booking so everything will be safe for both of us", I figured it was a scam. 

Elīna0
Level 1
Riga, Latvia

I had a similar experience while I was looking for a short term apartment in other rental site. I got a reply from someone who called himself *** and the trickiest part was that he even had a ''professional'' looking e-mail address:[personal information hidden]

This was his first mail:

''My name is ***, and I work as a surgeon. I bought this apartment because I want to retire to Belgium in 5 years. 

The apartment is in perfect condition. The rent is 470 euros / month with everything included ( heat, water, electricity, internet package, and parking spots ). The security deposit is 940 euros.
Because I cannot come to Belgium, we should use Airbnb (www.airbnb.com) to assist us in the renting process. I will take care of the Airbnb fees, so you will not have to pay anything else. Have you used Airbnb before?
Regards,

I already was suspsicious, but anyway I asked for more details and then I got his reply wich cofirmed my suspicion.
''Hello,
The apartment is available immediately, so you can visit it anytime you want with an Airbnb agent. I can create a private listing on Airbnb but first I will need some info from you:
Your full name:
Address:
Preferred start date of lease:
Reason for moving:
Total number of persons:
If you have children:
Phone:
If you have pets:
A copy of your ID:
After I send your details to Airbnb, they will send you the link to the listing. I can rent it for 2 months if you can afford the 2 months + deposit now. That's 1880 euros. I have other persons interested in renting it so I need to know that you have the money, and I need an answer in maximum 24 hours. 
Regards,

Gracie4
Level 2
Cologne, Germany

I am currently looking for an apartment here in Germany and started sending emails to some apartments using some german sites. I had one who requested using airbnb as her contract mediator and her personal bank account as my  monthly rental payment transfer thingy. Below is the message

"Hello ,

First of all , I want to tell you that if you are ready to proceed with this transaction I will need to inform you the steps about how this service works. I will send a copy of the contract signed by me .
 You will have 2 days to inspect the apartment before your final decision to rent . I will pay the shipping costs.

This is how they work :

1) I will make the delivery papers at AirBnb Company.

2) After I will make the papers for delivery they will require for your payment confirmation of the first month and the guarantee deposit(€ 470.00 + € 940.00 = € 1410.00) to the company . AirBnb Company will send you a delivery notification to let you know they have the Keys and the papers in their custody .
AirBnb Company will give you further instructions about the money deposit .

3) After the payment is confirmed the delivery process will start and when you will receive the keys, you will have 2 days inspection period before your final decision to rent .

4) If all is in order, you will instruct AirBnb Company to give me the money. Further rents will be sent directly to my bank account.

5) If you refuse to rent the apt , AirBnb Company will give you a full refund (€ 1410.00) and you will give them back the keys and the contract.

If you are interested to rent the apartment please send me your information, so i can make the deal:

Name:
Address:
City:
Postal Code:
Phone number available:
ID Card number or Passport number:
Date you want to move in the apartment:
Rental period that you want to stay:

Thank you !"

Ive been searching for some rules regarding this matter in Airbnb but i cannnot find any. So I decided to google for scam possibility  and indeed it is basing on the previous reported issues which were perfectly the same as mentioned in this conversation thread.

My goodness...

David1028
Level 1
Chalfont, PA

So either we're dealing with the same person or this is a common scam. I'm looking for a place in west LA and the guy reached back out and the whole thing sounded too good to be true. This was my email conversation -

Hi again,

Sounds good, but as I said, I live in Madrid/Spain and unfortunately i cant be present to deal in person. I can arrange to rent the apartment from Spain through AIRBNB, which is the biggest international website dealing specifically in rentals properties.

I hope you are familiar with Airbnb, but if not i'll explain you how it works..
If you decide to proceed with this transaction, I will need your phone number along with your full name, the date when you want to enter in the apartment, how many people would live there and for how long.. Then I will start the process through Airbnb here in Spain, providing them with your details. Next you will receive a notification message with all the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete the process and receive the keys with the rental contract.

This is the only way i can proceed, so hopefully you will find it ok in order to secure the apt in your favor...

Let me know,

Pedro **
Empresario
Madrid, España

Vivian49
Level 1
Vaughan, Canada

If it's too good to be true, it usually is... One of the emails a scammer sent me:

Hi again Vivian,

First of all, I want to start this email saying that this is not an face to face transaction, this being the whole purpose for using AirBnb Property Management, to protect the both of us 100%. Now for security and for your peace of mind I had attached an copy of my PASSPORT to build up some confidence.

Regarding the process, you will only have to deposit to AirBnb the first month rent + damage deposit, an total of 1300$CAD (860+440) so they can proceed with the shipping, and you can receive the rental package (keys and documents). I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the keys and the contract signed by me right away.

Below I will explain you step by step how the transaction with AirBnb Property Management works, to avoid any misunderstanding please READ CAREFULLY THE FOLLOWING STEPS:

1 - To start the process all I need are your contact details: full name, mailing address (street, number, city and postal code), cell phone number, move-in date and lease agreement preferred (e.g. 6 months or 1 year rental contract with option of renewal). The lease agreement will be a standard one from the Canadian government.
2 - I will go to the AirBnb Property Management office to start the transaction and I will give them the apartment keys and necessary documents.
3 - AirBnb Property Management will check the ownership documents and lease agreement. They will also confirm with the building management that I'm the legal owner of the apartment I'm renting to you.
4 - AirBnb will send you a notification(via email) with the transaction details to inform you that they have the keys and the documents in their custody.
5 - At this point you need to send the amount of 1300$(1st month rent from the rental contract + damage deposit-refundable in the last month of rent from contract) to the the AirBnb Property Management payment representative (lawyer escrow account) provided to you in the notification. THE PAYMENT NEEDS TO BE SENT WITHIN 24 BUSINESS HOURS AFTER YOU WILL RECEIVE THE TRANSACTION DETAILS OR ELSE THEY WILL CHARGE ME AN ADDITIONAL FEE.
6 - As soon as the payment is completed you need to send the payment details to AirBnb.
7 - AirBnb will verify the payment and if everything is in order they will start the shipping procedures using UPS Next Day Shipping Service.
8 - You will receive the package (keys and lease agreement) and you will have 5 business days (inspection time) to check the place.
9 - If you decide to keep the apartment you just need to sign the lease agreement and AirBnb Property Management will release the funds to me. If you don`t want to keep the apartment you will receive a full payment refund including any payment fee.

PLEASE NOTE that AirBnb Property Management can NOT release the funds without your approval. You will have 5 days to inspect the apartment and decide if you want to rent it or not, in this time you will have full control of the payment. They can release the payment to me as a landlord just after they will receive the lease agreement with your signature.
ALSO THEY WILL SEND YOU OFFICIAL DOCUMENTS (LEASE AGREEMENT AND INVOICE) BEFORE MAKING THE DEPOSIT TO THEM.

I ALSO NEED TO BE SURE THAT EVERYTHING IS CLEAR FOR YOU SO PLEASE READ CAREFULLY ALL THE STEPS OF THE TRANSACTION BECAUSE I CAN NOT CHANGE THEIR TERMS AND CONDITIONS. ALSO I WILL PAY FOR THE TRANSACTION AND DELIVERY FEES AND JUST IN CASE YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND I WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND FROM THEM!

Let me know if you have the funds available (1300CAD$) so we can move forward and e-mail me your full information I requested. Any further questions regarding the transaction you can call or e-mail me.

Thanks
David

Valerie161
Level 1
Abbotsford, Canada

I am involved with the same situation with the same information in the email.  I guess it is best to let this one go and try to find another apt for rent.  The name of the people I am dealing with is Thomas and Patricia ** and the property is ** Nelson Place in Abbotsford, BC.

Ohh My GOD..i am exactly going thorugh the same communication at the moment. this guy says he lives in UK and can not come personally and asking me to transfer the money to and refering Airbnb will take care for the rental. What made me suspicious about he mentioning discount on rent if i pay yearly in one go. i was wondering inHeidelberg  Germany finding flat is so difficult and someone offering discount. seeing that i searched this kind of scam on internet and landed this page.

i am better off t this guy now..thanks Elizabeth for opening this thread....

thanks

Christopher182
Level 1
Philadelphia, PA

Saw the same thing. I was super excited for this too but after using google I now see that other people experienced the same thing. Be careful guys!!

Hello,
Sorry for the delayed response .Thank you for taking the time to look at my apartment. I'm the owner, my name is Anne **.
Now a few words about the place. The apartment comes fully furnished, is very clean, quiet, and you can move in immediately. It has cable TV, high-speed internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. There are two parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture. Well behaved pets are allowed. The area is just great and a very safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent is $500 - utilities included (Cable, water, sewer, electricity, heat) and please note that the rent is for the entire apartment. I am looking for someone to rent anywhere from 1 month to 5 years or more. Most of the time I'm offshore, I inspect oil rigs for a living and I'm looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my apartment. I had some bad tenants and now I had the property completely refurbished (see attached photos). As you can see I am not after a high profit, but after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The property is being managed by Airbnb and they will handle the whole rental process since I work offshore for the time being.
If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Regards,
Eng. Anne **

Robert-Armando0
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

Same thing here.

"Hello,
Sorry for the delayed response .Thank you for taking the time to look at my apartment. I'm the owner, my name is Anne **.
Now a few words about the place. The apartment comes fully furnished, is very clean, quiet, and you can move in immediately. It has cable TV, high-speed internet, dishwasher, washing machine and dryer. There are two parking spots and if you prefer to use your own furniture there is a storage unit where you can deposit my furniture. Well behaved pets are allowed. The area is just great and a very safe neighborhood.
The monthly rent is $900 - utilities included (Cable, water, sewer, electricity, heat) and please note that the rent is for the entire apartment. I am looking for someone to rent anywhere from 1 month to 5 years or more. Most of the time I'm offshore, I inspect oil rigs for a living and I'm looking for a responsible person that can take a very good care of my apartment. I had some bad tenants and now I had the property completely refurbished (see attached photos). As you can see I am not after a high profit, but after good tenants who will treat my property as their own home and I hope that you can send me some personal information about yourself.
The property is being managed by Airbnb and they will handle the whole rental process since I work offshore for the time being.
If you want to know more about the rental process please get back to me and I will send you the step by step procedure.

Find attached more photos and let me know if you like the apartment.

Regards,
Eng. Anne **

As I already told you in my first email, Airbnb will handle the renting process in my behalf due to my offshore job. I will have to contact the Airbnb agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. For that I will need your full name, rental period with exact move-in date, if other persons will be living with you, your email, phone number and a copy if your ID or Passport if possible.
 To secure the apartment you will be instructed to pay just the security deposit of $500 to Airbnb to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Only once the deposit is paid an agent will be assigned to handle the visit/ inspection so you will not be able to visit the apartment before the reservation. (Aibnb is a 20 billion dollars company but it has to manage more than 1,500,000 locations, so they would need an impossible number of agents to present every location they have without a deposit confirmation)
 Once you confirm the payment you'll have two options, I could send you the keys by FedEx or you can meet the agent that will hand over the keys and rental agreement. Please note they require up to 48 hours to process your payment and rental details before they assign the agent that will handle the walk-through and all. The $500 security deposit will be refunded immediately if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( but only If the apartment is not vandalized or something).
 If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID, pay the first month rent and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account.  If that is acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the Airbnb reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !!   Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. I'll have to pay for the transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

You will find attached a photo of my passport for more transparency.

Regards,
Eng. Anne **

"

Sara396
Level 1
Seattle, WA

My daughter responded to an ad in Seattle using this same tactic. So they're not stopping, just changing the names and hitting as many towns as they can. How do we escalate this with AirBnB?

Hello again ,
As I already told you in my first email, Airbnb will handle the renting process in my behalf due to my offshore job. I will have to contact the Airbnb agency and provide them all the necessary information so they can start the rental process. For that I will need your full name, rental period with exact move-in date, if other persons will be living with you, your email, phone number and a copy if your ID or Passport if possible.
To secure the apartment you will be instructed to pay just the security deposit of $500 to Airbnb to confirm reservation ( which is fully refundable in case you don't like the apartment ). Only once the deposit is paid an agent will be assigned to handle the visit/ inspection so you will not be able to visit the apartment before the reservation. (Aibnb is a 20 billion dollars company but it has to manage more than 1,500,000 locations, so they would need an impossible number of agents to present every location they have without a deposit confirmation)
Once you confirm the payment you'll have two options, I could send you the keys by FedEx or you can meet the agent that will hand over the keys and rental agreement. Please note they require up to 48 hours to process your payment and rental details before they assign the agent that will handle the walk-through and all. The $500 security deposit will be refunded immediately if you don't like the place or once the contract will end if you decide to rent. ( but only If the apartment is not vandalized or something).
If you are satisfied with the apartment all you have to do is to provide a valid ID, pay the first month rent and sign the lease agreement. After you move in, the monthly payment will be sent directly to my bank account. If that is acceptable please provide the requested details and I will submit your application right away. I will send the Airbnb reservation offer to your email and you can take it from there.

Very important !! Please reply only if you fully understand the process as I have been disappointed lately with unserious persons when it comes to reserving. I'll have to pay for the transaction fees and just in case you change your mind I will not receive a refund from them!

You will find attached a photo of my passport for more transparency.

Alenka4
Level 1
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Oh well... I've so been hoping, but it was also so apparent it's too good to be true. I'm looking for a place in Hamburg and received the exact same mail, only it was in German. The funny thing was it wasn't even looking on AirBnb sites. Thank god I was able to find all these posts before wiring the money. Thanks guys.

Maddy7
Level 1
Hitchin, United Kingdom

The exact same thing is happening to me currently!!

I don't know what to do!