Request Airbnb add additional cancellation policy (something between Moderate and Strict)

Jaysa0
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Request Airbnb add additional cancellation policy (something between Moderate and Strict)

I want to start a discussion because I have asked Airbnb for this repeatedly and have not seen any traction.

I would like them to add a policy between Moderate and Strict.

Strict is too strict and I think I lose bookings because guests don't want such a strict policy.

But moderate is too easy. I get guests cancelling 5 days in advance all the time and it really is financially disastrous because I can't rebook the property that quickly without steeply discounting it.

I've tried both policies and there real repurcussions from both.

I also use another "top" vacation rental site and I use there most flexible policy: 14 days (100% refund); 7 days (50% refund).

Wouldn't it make sense for Airbnb to add a policy similar to this?

Please chime in if you agree or you just want to help strengthen my case.

Thanks,

Jaysa

5 Replies 5

Pamela401
Level 1
St. Catharines, Canada

Hello community!

I was an Airbnb host last year, with no issues, no cancellations. This year, I have already 2 cancellations, which is becoming a financial hardship. It is very difficult to rebook and not worth a heavy discount to entice another booking. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

@Pamela401 you have a flexible cancellation policy. I would recommend changing it to moderate or even strict. I had a moderate policy & got sick of guests cancelling so I changed it to strict about 18 months ago. It's had no impact on my bookings & lessened the financial hit.

Pamela401
Level 1
St. Catharines, Canada

Hello Rachel177: Thank you for your valuable input. I was considering to change this for sure!!

All the best in hosting! Pam

@Alice-and-Jeff0 @Rachel177 

My mind is split what is the right cancelation policy. Now I am moderate - had 2 cancelations in a year, the same when I have been on Free cancelation.  There are two sides and 2 interests - that of the guest and that of the host. Sometimes the plans of the guest cannot be followed, so he wished to come but some obstacles hindered his trip to be done. That is why hotels and other sites have free cancelation policy and Airbnb would be in disadvantege following strict cancelation. Yes, it is good for the host every booking to be accomplished and money received. I think that once you make your accommodation more attractive, then  "cancel" becomes a rare event.