Researching Market Demand in Nearby Communities

Andy62
Level 1
Marquette, MI

Researching Market Demand in Nearby Communities

I'm a relatively new host to Airbnb and in less than a year I've had great success with a listing I began marketing in Nov 2015.

I'm considering purchasing another property in a neighboring town, and currently there is only 1 airbnb listing in that town (i.e. there are no comparables to guage demand).  I'm wondering is there's a way to connect with someone at airbnb to provide data on whether or not there are travellers searching for rentals in that town.  I'd like to try and take advantage of the lack or competition in that area, but don't want to dive into another property if there is little or no demand.

Any thoughts??

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Speak to your local tourism people they will have an idea of visitor numbers and what demand is like for accommodation in various areas.

In the UK we  can also pay for market research reports from local and national tourism bodies. So see what is available.

Check on availability of the BNB in that area - how busy are they? It might be there aren't more because there is no demand. Also check out B&Bs, apartments, hotels etc.

Even if BnB have that information, they probably won't provide it. It would be too time consuming for them to give free market research stats to everyone who wanted this sort of information

@Andy62shortcut:  just check the famous hotels, how is their business. if no, means nobody goes there at all.

Carlos481
Level 1
Porto Alegre, Brazil

Hello guys, getting to this conversation right now... I'm facing the same problem... Wondering about buying another property for airbnb renting... Well, the town is called "Foz do Iguaçu", Parana state, in Brazil. It's a very turistic town (so, full of hotels), but full of tourists as well. So I wonder, can anyone give me some tips about the town? There are some airbnb listings(including from hotels), but no one seemed like the apartment I would buy... Any tips helps!! Thanks! 

1. Olá pessoal, estou entrando agora no airbnb e vou colocar uma casa para estadias longas, a minha dúvida e preocupação é que se incluo ou não a taxa de agua e luz, porque aqui em Foz do Iguaçu é muito quente no verão e receio ficar no prejuizo, caso não cobre. Como vcs fazem? Alguem pode me dar uma dica, por favor? 

@Andy62 , @Carlos481 estou entrando agora no airbnb e vou colocar uma casa para estadias longas, a minha dúvida e preocupação é se incluo ou não a taxa de agua e luz, porque aqui em Foz do Iguaçu é muito quente no verão e receio ficar no prejuizo, caso não cobre a parte. Como vcs fazem? Alguem pode me dar uma dica, por favor?