Restrictions on hosting limits in London

Cindy114
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Restrictions on hosting limits in London

I have a rental flat in Westminster. I have spent a lot of time on council sites for this 'approval' --Airbnb wants to host for more than 90days and it is it there.

the link Airbnb provides goes to approval for Planning permission, eg for renovations etc..

Airbnb care to help? Or has anyone followed / found how to get this approval?

18 Replies 18

you pay no vat if booking exceed 28 days

Daniel-and-Marsio0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Dear All

I'd like to encourage Airbnb to offer more support / promotion to those London hosts offering stays of 90+ nights (long-term stays).

A special section on the website and apps to make potential guests (and the wider public) realise that longer-term stays are available through Airbnb and that you don't have to rely on the 'traditional' rental market for this type of accommodation.

The points of difference that Airbnb could promote include (this list is not exhaustive, please add your suggestions):

- Flexibility: 90+ nights means anything over ninety nights, but you don't have to sign up to a 1 or 2 year contract, ideal for business travellers, people in transition periods, or even longterm tourists!

- Safety: robust reviews, super-hosts status and clear listings with good photos enable potential guests/tenants to make a very well informed choice on where to stay, even from afar.

- Payout Confidence: for hosts, knowing that you will get paid regularly is very re-assuring.

- Deposit Freedom: for guests, knowing that you don't need months' worth of deposit up-front plus rental fees makes renting more affordable and attainable

Airbnb could be a progressive 'new' entity in the longer-term rentals market in London and this would off-set any loss that they will incur due to having to enforce the 90-night rule on shorter-term lettings.

Having changed my bookings parameters to allow only stays of 90+ nights (to comply with London regulations) I now need Airbnb to help by promoting that option so that I actually receive some bookings! Are you in the same position? Please comment and gives 'thumbs-up' if you agree...

Thanks

Daniel

P.S. "Stay Longer in London" / "Linger Longer in London" / "Love London Longer" / "Live London Longer"

Danny53
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

the whole thing is beyond a joke...

1 - in Barnet where I host the planning depaartment , and I quote:

"has not yet formulated a policy of how to deal with these applications  - as it is somewhat of a grey area"

2 - there is nowhere to submit the planning consents on air bnb and the phone staff have no idea what to do with you if you discuus it with them - never mind you can never ever get the same person twice..

So you can't get the planning and there is no one to give ot to if you did...

It seems to me the whole thing is political / politically correct posturing on the part of air bnb...

Hosts! - We are not responsible for the housing shortage here or in any other city...

ancient planning laws and homeowners who want flats for their kids  (so long as they are not built in their back yards!) are the problem!

These are our properties - we are not drug dealers, why are we not being allowed to make a fair living by looking after our homes and our guests and at the same time offering a service that every city sorely needs:

for family holiday makers

for home rennovaters etc

buyers and sellers between moves

in short people who were never gonna rent on an AST in any event!!

It's tough to make a buck these days - such a shame they couldn't all just leave us alone don't you think...?

I agree Danny - and even the reports that Airbnb commissioned show that less than 1% of the housing stock in London is Airbnb-related. The housing-stock shortage problem is a total smokescreen, and has nothing to do with Airbnb.

Like you , I am miffed at being prevented from offering something that is fulfilling a real need: a mid-way between short holiday lets and long-term 'traditional' lets - which don't suit everyone's circumstances. I am not doing anyone any harm, my guests are happy, my neighbours are happy, I pay my taxes, the local businesses are happy. Who is NOT happy? Hotels? 'traditional' landlords? Sorry dears that the competition was too fierce for you!