Review clock still ticking. Guest asks for cleaning fee after check out.

Review clock still ticking. Guest asks for cleaning fee after check out.

Hello All.

We've had some really good people stay at our home. We've also had some horrendous things happen with less than stellar guests. We sleep up to 18 people so I consider ourselves lucky that, for the most part, our reviews are consistently lovely. However, for the first time, our guest from last weekend asked for their cleaning fee (2 days after check out) because he claimed leftover items in the frig made some of his family ill and that some of his friends walked through "cob webs" and there were dead spiders.  Neither of these are possible. Perishables are removed by housekeeping as part of cleaning check list and the home has been booked every weekend since November and subsequently cleaned - not more than 3-4 days go by inbetween cleaning and the next check-in - those would be some dang fast spiders to criss cross all over the house. We denied his claim and have heard nothing in response.

However, the clock is still ticking for the review period. He has not reviewed us yet. I have no desire to say anything negative, but should he review us, how do you respond? I assume he will make mention of these things but a poor star rating and your overall performance and listing is impacted...

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Martha91

They should have raised this immediately and you would have investigated - they didn;t so I smell a rat. And what on earth were they doing eating food found in a fridge (if you believe that!). I would not review, but wait and then respond professionally to any review they leave. Along the lines of: we did not review these guests as they made claims relating to illness and cleaning post their stay (which were not validated) and they asked for a refund.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I would wait until the very last moment to review this guest and cross your fingers he doesnt get a chance to review you back before the time runs out.  If he does review you poorly, a brief, professional response is always the best way to go.  "Thanks for your feedback, Mr. Guest.  We're disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay.  We make it a point to provide a beautiful, clean listing and will investigate your claims with our housekeeper."