Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Review the star system - revolutionary simplicity!

Replace the individual star ratings with a simple thumbs up or down, as in would you recommend/not recommend this guest/host? Eliminates all the issues with getting a 4, or 5, or only a 3. Was is good? Thumbs UP!

Very very simple and streamlined.

71 Replies 71
Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

I share the same concern about the Star rating because the meaning is subjective with each guest.  Some guests think that 4 out of 5 is a great rating and it is awkward as a Host to have to try to explain.  The guest just wants an enjoyable stay because it's for them, not the host.  Thumbs up or down with the added comments would seem to be sufficient.  I know I always read the comments when I'm looking through the reviews.

In addition, some guests will take stars away for things that were clearly spelled out in the house description and the host has little recourse to do anything about it.

David641
Level 3
Union Bridge, MD

I don't have a problem with the Star Rating per se, but using "location" is a killer. As hostsw we simply can't change location as we own a property and it is kind of stuck where it is. SO long as the description identifies where it is and what type area it is in, having a gues grade us on location is foolish. We all can't be exactly where a guest wants, and their choice for location usually centers on cost, room availability and other factors. But that "Location" star rating kills the host when it comes to super host rating!

Mary-Ann0
Level 10
Sun City, AZ

I am fortunate to be in a good location for a lot of guests and so I get 5 stars for "location".  However I have often got just 4 stars for the value category which I believe is also a subjective category and is the “killer” for me.

What does “value” mean actually?  Does it mean when a guest gives only 4 stars that my place cost too much – well I keep my prices at one of the lowest in the area for an entire place – so that couldn’t be it – so what is it?  What is “Value”?

With my latest long term guest I received all 5 stars in each category except value where I got 4 stars.  He was a great guest but I think it was because he was disappointed it had no dishwasher when he arrived – this is even though I mentioned this in the listing. But I will never know.

I have come to the conclusion that the star rating system is Airbnb’s undisclosed hold over us hosts.  Also I have long term guests for the most part and so I will never qualify for Superhost; and when I realized that and accepted it, I became less stressed and a happier host.  I decided not to pay any attention to the scolding from Airbnb; “You are not making Superhost status – we hope you make it soon”.  I just don’t pay attention to it anymore like I don’t pay attention to the PriceTips suggestions and the suggestions to use Instantbook.  Heck with that stuff!

Also I didn’t have any legit inquiries for 6 months and so I listed on VRBO and instantly got two long term guests so I’m now booked for almost all Jan. Feb and March 2017. There are some things about VRBO that are not as good as Airbnb but at least I don’t have to put up with the star ratings BS and hopefully get reviews that are honest and won't be graded like a hotel and then be scolded by Airbnb if the grade is not "5".

Carl-and-Elodie0
Level 6
London, United Kingdom

I think Airbnb should keep their rating system but make it public!

When you rate guests with the stars regarding communication, respect of the house rules etc it should appear on their profile.
Hosts need to have this additional informations!
its not because we list our place that we want anyone as a guest!
This is one of the multiple examples that shows airbnb lack of customers services for hosts.
Hosts are customers too!!

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

I don't agree.  There are far too many considerations that affect a thumps up or thumbs down.  I give 5 stars to my Guests nearly every time - because they are awesome - but rating systems and evaluations are tough as it is.  I want them to know they were almost great, but there was something that really needed work.  If they get 4 stars on something from me, it wasn't really minor.  We all need that rating information, either a Guest or a Host, to know and understand - you should work hard.  A simple thumbs up could mean:  1) You're outstanding, or  2) You're passable.  That does nothing to improve this business as an industry, or for us as Hosts.

Marie-Claire3
Level 5
Waltham, MA

@Lois-and-Darryl0

The stars we give our guests are not visible to anyone, not any future hosts or the guests themselves. When in a hurry I don't even bother giving any, just an honest review and a thumbs up.  (Only twice out of over 150 stays have I given a deserved thumbs down.) The only thing that counts for guests is the thumbs up or down, and it's important because a thumbs down will protect hosts with Instant Access from guests who have received a thumbs down from another host. On the other hand the stars given to hosts count enormously and have consequences to determine whether they'll be downgraded or reprimanded by Airbnb, or if very high, they can eventually lead to Superhost status.

Michelle13
Level 8
New York, NY

I know this is an older post but does anyone use Yelp (business, mainly food rating site)? The star system there has a text scroll over option i.e. 3 stars "A-OK!", 2 stars "Meh..."

This may help guide guests on what 1-5 stars actually means versus each persons understanding of a star system. I like thumbs up/down with a review as well though! I only have an issue with value and location as a measure. If your listing acurately described the location & space then these 2 should be a given. You only need cleanliness, accuracy, communication and check-in with a review for details. 

To give credit, I think airbnb is testing some of this stuff out. I just left a review for a guest and when I selected 4 stars per category it showed me an overall 4 star rating plus my review before pushing "confirm". 

Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

I disagree, there is not only black or white.

Your guests might like your way to host and your location, but maybe they found something that they dind't like at 100%,  maybe 80%, so they decide to give you thumbs down because there is not other way to say that something wasn't at 100%. it's unfair way to rate.

Cheers Raf

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

For some reason the site is not letting me click the thumbs up for this post, but yes! The way the rating system is set up is ridiculous. Either educate the guests so that they understand they are penalizing hosts by taking away stars, or find a different way to evaluate.

Lannie0
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

Why not go to a simple "Would you recommend this Airbnb?"

And a follow up of why or why not.

Mike127
Level 2
Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines

Totally agree.Star system sucks. We hosted a guest with good reviews... when he stayed in our property  ( we don't live there) he brought extra guests, did not want to pay for them, then became abusive to our property managers when asked for extra payment and on the phone to us. Then gave us a bad review,  because we did not initially wanted to take his booking for cash, but only through Airbnb. 

Because of this one guest our rating dropped... Get rid of stars rating....

Yasmin2
Level 7
West Ballina, Australia

I agree that the rating system needs adjusting.

Let's face it there are folks that are unable to appreciate what is given and so applies to their journey through life, however, this doesn't change my appreciation for myself and this is what holds me through my daily life. It's great to be aware to not take it too personally as we know that what we are offering is to our best ability,  to be open to learning as there is so much more to being a host than money yet a wonderful exchange of energy which builds our income.

We had guests who said to us that they never give 5 stars and they wanted to give us 7 stars for hospitality but they had to find something wrong so their comment was "some dust" you gotta laugh!

Lannie0
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

A very difficult and critical guest told me that while I wasn't home she 'looked thru every drawer in my kitchen/dining area'. Talk about lack of boundries!! We live in one of the most preferred/coveted/countryside neighborhoods in our city. She gave 4 stars for location. Really? What Airbnb doesn't seem to get is how a couple of 4 star ratings messes up the providers metrics. Not a fan.

i would prefer Thumbs Up, Neutral and Thumbs Down

Mike127
Level 2
Lapu-Lapu City, Philippines

Yes, yes and yes. Totally agree!!!!!