Reviewing as a New Host

Answered!
Roger17
Level 10
Thomaston, GA

Reviewing as a New Host

Hello Everyone and happy Mother's Day to all of the moms.  I'm a new host and my 4th guests have just left after staying 5 days on Friday.  My first 3 guests were perfect with no mishaps at all.  My 4th guests, a married couple who booked and utilized both of my rooms were a bit of a challenge (well the husband was).   They were in town for a church conference and when they came in late evenings, the husband wanted to socialize and had many needs. Wifi didn't work in his room (even after purchasing a booster) but would if we let him change our main settings from android to iphone (we would not)  We asked that he use the lounge.  My candles and soaps irritated his allergies and on and on.  On the 2nd night there was a large roach on the ceiling in his room.  I immediately killed it and was going to spray but that would set his allergies off as would having my vendor spray.  I had given them a huge discount for booking both rooms so I didn't offer any type of refund?   I'm in a little town South of Atlanta with minimal Airbnb prospects. The church my guests were attending bring lots of folks in year round and will most likely generate 75% of my guests.   He has not reviewed me yet but said on day one he would.  I want to take responsibility for my part and asking the community for advice on my review.  My home is very large and very old with lots of trees on two acres and even though I keep it very clean it's difficult to avoid a roach from time to time.  In my review, should I apologize publicly ref the roach and wifi?  I just wonder if this might deter future guests?  Any advice is most appreciated.  Thanks

1 Best Answer

@Roger17

I would advise against apologizing (unless it was your fault and you offered a lower quality stay than you described in your listing), it often brings more problems with it, people want refunds, they rant and rail.

In my experience anytime you offer a discount people expect the moon and the stars and always find something to complain about, e.g. his allergies are his problem not yours.  I have only ever had problems with people I have given discounts to - it seems to invite abuse.   Now I just decline off the bat if they ask, because even if they book after having been refused a discount they always try to make up for it  in some way or other that is offensive and dishonest.

As for roaches -  an infestation is a problem, but as you say all is clean, so a lone roach,  spider, daddy long legs  well, that's a fact of life and in cities too. As for wi-fi  you could say in your description that it is FREE as you cannot guarantee 100% effectiveness at all times.

I have the same problem with mine in NYC nothing I can do about it, I have two carriers and both cannot be relied upon 100% of the time.

If you write a review you could say something along the lines that

" Guest had particular and specialized requirements that might have been better catered for in a  hotel experience".

Best with your future hostings.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11

@Roger17

I would advise against apologizing (unless it was your fault and you offered a lower quality stay than you described in your listing), it often brings more problems with it, people want refunds, they rant and rail.

In my experience anytime you offer a discount people expect the moon and the stars and always find something to complain about, e.g. his allergies are his problem not yours.  I have only ever had problems with people I have given discounts to - it seems to invite abuse.   Now I just decline off the bat if they ask, because even if they book after having been refused a discount they always try to make up for it  in some way or other that is offensive and dishonest.

As for roaches -  an infestation is a problem, but as you say all is clean, so a lone roach,  spider, daddy long legs  well, that's a fact of life and in cities too. As for wi-fi  you could say in your description that it is FREE as you cannot guarantee 100% effectiveness at all times.

I have the same problem with mine in NYC nothing I can do about it, I have two carriers and both cannot be relied upon 100% of the time.

If you write a review you could say something along the lines that

" Guest had particular and specialized requirements that might have been better catered for in a  hotel experience".

Best with your future hostings.

Dang - I posted a long long reply and it seems to have dissappeared?  Did you receive?  Thanks so much....Roger

No, I just received the short note. No worries,  best with everything and sorting this out for the best. In my experience 99% of guests are wonderful people so don't let the  exceptions get you down.

Ange - I'm bummed, I spent an hour asking several things and went on and on so maybe the secret world smiled on you and prevented all the boredom....lololol   Anyway, I ask the following:

a) Should I have not offered a discount upfront nor offered one when the guest thought things went wrong (nor both)?

b) My first 3 guests commented I was way under price yet my last guests found numerous things to whine about,  do you eventually        find a balance and turn a deaf ear to whiney babies?

c) I read your profile and reviews and see why you are the best of hosts and I want to attain that status, yet you seem almost aloof    

and adamant in your style....did that take awhile or did you begin that way?

d) In the South, we automatically apologize if anything seems wrong (we're raised that way-it's a curse)...should I get over that asap 

to be succesful with Airbnb or should I embrace it as an asset?

e) With the rooms (guests have a large lounge) converted from two bedrooms with a fridge (stocked with bottled water, pineapple          juice, apple and strawberry sauce, fresh yogurt and grapes) ice cream and Italian ice).  All free of charge.  Also I have a setup for

coffee and hot tea and a basket of fresh fruit and pistacios.

f)  I have the best of linens and towels, keep all my space squeaky clean and offer my guests numerous options for entertainment.

So I'm thinking I'm way over compensating not to mention being too kind?  I don't have to do this but really enjoy it plus other than the last guest, it's been really nice.  If you could reply with advice on all things Airbnb plus advice on my current situation and advice for moving forward, and should you ever want to venture South, I would host you in luxury at no cost and would really appreciate it.

Best regards and thanks so much Ange....... Roger

I would wait until they do the review and then ask for advice on how to respond depending on what they say. Often it is best not to respond at all. It can bring attention to the problem and can often seem defensive.

I am in the south too and bugs can be an issue even when spraying regularily. We had just sprayed and a guest saw a couple of dead ones. i thought they would mention it but didn't and gave us 5 stars for cleanliness.

All the best in hosting and try not to let one bad apple spoil the experience. We have done it since August and met so many wonderful people.

I agree with discounts, set you price point and leave it.

There are several ways you can apologine without accepting fault.

Sorry about the weather, sorry about the traffic etc etc

Refunds are for where you have screwed up badly and it has impacted the guest..

David
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Roger17, as an Airbnb host you will be challenged to be accepting and welcoming to a huge range of guests who will want to relax and just be themselves in the space which you offer them. 

We each express ourselves differently and words and phrases which are normal and innofensive to one person come across as rude to others. Today many people travel needing Wifi and having all range of preferences and allergies. That's the new normal and you will find yourself enjoying hosting if you can take pride in catering to these individual requirements, if you continue to host successfully they won't be the last guests with all of these needs.

Reframing the way you think about your guests could be a good start. e.g." find a balance and turn a deaf ear to whiney babies?" oops! How about...."I am learning how to be a successful responsive empathic host, due to challenges anticipated and embraced."... " I love  coming to the task of hosting with solutions, in advance of my guests needs."

Guests can read body language an attitude, so if you can be genuinely welcoming to your most needy guests, you may be rewarded tenfold by the appreciation they express in their recommendations and reviews.

Try to avoid thinking of or referring to your guests  as "whiney babies". Especially when it takes only 2 minutes to figure out who these people are [privacy], and who you are [reputation]. Such public utterances damage your brand/listing and gradually damage the overall Airbnb brand which you are currently relying on to generate custom way out there in the countryside. If the general public come to think of Airbnb hosts as people who will embarrass them in public, it's going to cost everyone in the long run. Plus, it only takes one other Airbnb host who sees no problem in being gracious to fill the accommodation need you are currently being blessed with in your current location.

I hope this information is helpful to you in adjusting to hosting.

regards, Christine.

Thank you all for the insightful responses.  After just a few days of my original post, I decided to use this as a learning experience vs something to fret about.  Overall, the complaints were mild in comparison to some things I've read other hosts experience so for that I'm thankful.  Once I changed the way I perceived the situation, I focused on the positive things out of the visit and wrote my review based on those.  It made all the difference.

@Roger17   Apologies for not getting back to you all those months ago, for some reason I never get any community board messages I subscribe to.  I just wanted to say I am happy you are having a better time of airbnbing and thank you so much for the offer to visit, your place looks amazing and relaxing.  Happy hosting!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I know it has been a few months since this issue was posted but I read all of it anyway.  I want to say it made me proud of the host community.  Roger got great responses and he chose to personally grow from the feedback.  Doesn't get better than this!!

Ben213
Level 1
Sabattus, ME

I have only hosted twice. The first guest was fantastic.  

How honest should I be in reviews?

I left a mediocre public review without details for my last guest. They left quite a mess and I needed to hire a plummer due to water damage they created. In the personal review I gave the details and was honest.without being mean. They had a great week and communicated well.