Same day reservation...My first customer --HELP!

Linda254
Level 3
California, United States

Same day reservation...My first customer --HELP!

I do not have instant book activated.

A  woman wrote that she wanted to book 3 days, starting tonight while she moves.
I replied  at  3:24pm that I would have to do a little clean up, but could have the room ready.
I did not hear back from her until 5:14, even though I wrote her 3 messages telling her the progress of the room and that it was ready.
This is the message I got (I asked if she was moving to the town my room is in)

'Haha but no we are not moving to San Pedro just really liked your place but I just looked to see how far you are from me and it's a little further than I thought so I need to make sure our ride is able to take us . My car was impounded two days ago and I can't get it until Monday . So I'm arranging a ride ill let u know asap
Today at 5:14 PM'
It is now 7;30pm and I have heard nothing more. My date on the calendar is held up because I pre-approved her reservation.

I have written to her and received no response."

What should I do???

Beginner not so lucky!!

Thanks
6 Replies 6
James1
Level 10
SF, CA

I'm a five year host and I have several red flags for potentially problem guests. Your guest has hit two big ones, 1) last minute bookings and 2) locals. And why was the car impounded? That doesn't strike me as a confidence builder. Everything may be fine but keep a close eye on this guest and make sure they know you are nearby. Good luck.

Linda254
Level 3
California, United States

Ok. I took away the pre-approval. She had 6 ID verifications.
Any suggestion on how to judge potential customers?
Also, the phone number that shows up in my texting app...Is that her phone number or an airbnb number?

Thanks again!
I'm learning!

Ask them (sweetly of course) "so what brings you to San Pedro? Who is coming with you? How many guests? Have you been here before?" and most importantly make sure they know you are right nearby (even if you are not!). Check them in personally. This guest may be fine and you have to get some good reviews under your belt. Just be cautious. Be smart. 

For your future reference I have three big red flags that almost always predict a troublesome guest:

!) Asking for discounts - they are never happy and leave the worst reviews

2) Locals - they are probably coming to party, make sure you get a firm guest number and hold them to it. No extras no substitutions

3) Last minute bookings - I don't take last minute bookings

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@James1 ......One of the best responses I have seen on the forum, to the point and spot on information....Good on you James.

Cheers....Rob 

Aunt-Betty0
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

Pre approvoiing someone does NOT block your calendar. Its only designed for those who do NOT have Instant Book set and lets airbnb know you will permit this person to book. If you have Instant Book set On and pre aprove someone it donest mean another person can Instant Book it before this person. Its open to all. 

Jim-and-Marcia0
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

First, be very careful before you pre-approve a guest. Ask more questions, find out more about them. Make sure your guests are properly verified.

Second, make sure you're ready to host before you go live, which means making sure your place is ready and your settings are as you want them to be. In our settings, we don't allow same-day bookings. If you set yours that way too, then the Airbnb platform won't allow the booking to happen and you won't be caught in this dilemma.

Third, if you pre-approved the guests and  they haven't accepted, then go ahead and withdraw the pre-approval if you're having second thoughts. Let them know you aren't ready and suggest they find other lodging. If they accepted your reservation, then their phone number will appear. Telephone them to clarify what time they will arrive. Check ID upon arrival and have someone with you since it is past sundown.