San Antonio Texas Legislation

Lyn13
Level 3
San Antonio, TX

San Antonio Texas Legislation

LEGISLATION, HOA'S, HISTORICAL AREAS, OH, MY!!!

There is a lot of talk about Airbnb's in Texas. My property is in San Antonio and I have heard that San Antonio is going to make it a lot harder on Airbnb's to operate. Things such as limited number of permits to operate, and to get a permit you have to have property inspected and up to their code of standards, with fire estinguishers, escape route posted, Home owners associations, historical districts, etc. This scares me to death. 

I know that Austin, our neighboring big city, was hit with some regulations also.  Nothing has been inforced since the last county/city meeting, but they will be discussing again this next year. 

Has anyone hear anything, give pointers, or experinces with legislation and restrictions??

Lyn
39 Replies 39

Don't need to be so upset.  I also love hosting.. The license is $130 every 3 years.  My guests are glad to pay the tax.  I put it in the description, and the rules, when they book, they agree to all the house rules.  'They are obliged to pay.  Miriam

Great news. May I ask the about the process? Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area but I cannot find how to go about beginning how to setup. Can you provide the link and steps? If you don’t mind, I would greatly appreciate. 

Lyn

Miriam,

How long did it take for you to receive your permit to operate?

Alex634
Level 2
Austin, TX

This is the form: 

https://docsonline.sanantonio.gov/FileUploads/DSD/STRAPPLICATION.pdf

You are totally right, I don´t know what are they going to do after you register. Does anyone have more information? 

Has anyone found it difficult to register for a permit with the city of San Antonio?

Has anyone received their permit to operate in the City, if so how difficult was it to get it?

I am interested in this also. I don’t think they start I forcing until later this year or at least, the hired person to review violations starts. 

I want to proceed and followed the link provided but didn’t get very far since it seems like it’s just for people already in the system to pay. Not just go online and pay. 

Lyn

I am currently paying the City and County occupancy taxes and have submitted my application for the permit and am currently waiting for a reply from the city of San Antonio.

I hav also been looking at the current listings in the San Antonio area and have not seen any listing displaying their permit number on the listings.

If you are not currently paying the HOT tax all you have to do is contact the tax office and submit your monthly reports with payment and they will set up an account for you.

Would you happen to have the contact information for that? I’m new to this and my home is considered out of the city of San Antonio, I would really like to get ahold of whoever I need to to pay my taxes. I really don’t want to get into trouble 

You have to contact the City of San Antonio Department of Financee Revenue Division. Email is hotelmonthlyreport@sanantonio.gov and the phone number is 210-207-8677.

Has anyone been issued the permit to operate a short term rental? If so, how long does it take to get approval? 

Cheryl334
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Has anyone heard where tonight’s meeting with Airbnb is being held? I understand the time is 6pm, last I heard, the location was tbd.

Kunstler Brewing
Manuel297
Level 2
San Antonio, TX

Hi Airbnb Hosts! I found this petition that I believe is in the benefit of all Short Term Rental owners in San Antonio.

Please show your support by signing this petition that is aimed at having the city sign an agreement with Airbnb that will increase the cities tax revenue by $200,000 a month for improvements to the city while also no longer forcing people renting their homes to pay a 10.75% tax out of our own pockets that would be passed on to the guests visiting the city if anagreement was in place. This petition is trying to drive awareness of this issue, and nobody seems to notice that the city is losing millions a year in taxes from tourists and rental owners are losing thousands of $'s a year because the city hasn't gotten an agreement signed with Airbnb like 370 other local governments have across the US (including the state of Texas)!