Security Deposit Does Not Secure Your Property

Donna294
Level 3
Orlando, FL

Security Deposit Does Not Secure Your Property

I am rather new to vacation rental since late last year.  Thus far I have had two separate guest parties completely ruin every one of my linens.  The first one because they used them to clean up car grease and the second guests because she used my home as a party house for her sorority girls who backed up the sewer and ruined again all my new linens because of their heavy, heavy jet black make-up they all wore and wiped it onto my linens, in addition to blood on my bed sheets.  Could not get the linens cleaned sufficiently after many soakings and washings.  I was advised to file a claim against the security deposit which I have now received a denial of that claim.  So Air BnB has caused me to hate their process.  The security deposit means nothing to an owner because it is Air BnB who determines whether or not you deserve to receive any compensation when they are removed from the situation. 

3 Replies 3
Dee32
Level 6
Redondo Beach, CA

Donna,

I feel for you. I've had a similar  experience years ago.

It's amazing to me you got no help but 1st did they say why your claim was denied? I know it has to be made within 24 hours or before the next guest arrives. Could either of these reasons be why you were denied? The car grease one is unreal to say the least! I do know that the unimaginable happens that almost seems like it's made up but its not!! You mentioned you were new to vacation rentals so a word of friendly advice especially if your in an area that's a heavy young adult party sceen. Screen your guests very carefully make sure it's not a group of partiers on spring break unless you cater to this type of group? Read between the lines when asking questions and ask lots of them like- why are you traveling? Not sure if your allowed to ask by law but find out how old the people are. What their intentions are? Coming to a wedding? An event? A celebration? 21st b-day party? You will be surprised at just how much you will learn from a friendly conversation or two. It's your right to know what people will be doing in your home. Then you can make an informed decision whether or not to book them.When I hear certain words they are red flags for me so I'm very careful what I ask next. Ex: "we are comming to Florida for a friends b-day" you say- great sounds like fun where is the celebration going to be? How may are comming? Did you know sorority gals would be staying at your house? That would be a big red flag for me. Sorry don't want to offend anyone but we know growing up is a process. We just don't want it done at our expense right:) so now you have had 2 bad experiences that may have been able to be avoided with you doing a bit of investigating before booking. If they don't like questions too bad don't book them. Consider it a bullet dodged. And remember you can only count on yourself. Look for history if the have any reviews? If they have stayed at 3 airbnb' s but 0 recommendations from hosts-red flag. If they have never used airbnb well that's a coin toss. Knowledge is power & maybe this is a learning curve painful as they are. I'd like to know why your claim was denied.

Thanks maybe some of this will help I hope so. Best to you. 

Thank you for your response.  My home is in Central Florida between the Atlantic Coast and Theme Parks which I expected to be booked for family vacations com ing down more so than partiers.   Wrong in part, the first group I thought were coming down to attend the Daytona International Speedway NASCAR races, but they werent upfront and were actually the mechanics and drivers with their race car in tow.  They ruined every single linen in the home by cleaning themselves up and leaving grease on every towel and washcloth.  The second group I asked a number of questions who said she was coming down to get together with family, but she really came down to drink lots of wine with her sorority gal pals and again messed up numerous linens beyond cleaning.  I noticed that a few of my guests were not being totally honest in answering the questions when presented.  Potentially bad guests seem they have become good at wording answers so that they are not rejected for a stay.  I've only filed one claim out of all my losses, the guest subsequently rejected the claim to pay for the items, and Air BnB said they had ruled in favor of the guest.  I filed the paperwork for the claim in a timely manner and provided numerous pictures, along with receipts for the replacement items.  It seems Air BnB is far more concerned with possibly upseting a guests over a host.  

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Donna294

Donna, you're would of the 80% of hosts that are just cannon fodder on Airbnb, increase your price to two hundred dollars + per night and you'll be waxing lyrical about Airbnb helpful approach.

Please read, AIRBNB TERMS AND CONDITIONS, it’s a wakeup call...