Security Deposit

Mary496
Level 2
Wall Township, NJ

Security Deposit

Just had a couple leave who had stained brand new sheets and after requesting of guest what had caused the stains was told "what stains?" after using everything in my arsenal to extract same stains and now Airbnb is apparently not going to access the security deposit to replace those sheets.  So now I was just sent updated rules and regulations regarding my responsibilities and from what I can see very little responsibility (or enforcement) on the part of the guest.  I requested a $500 deposit for damages and now I see its arbitration and so they outright lie and you get screwed--what's the point of the security deposit if they don't access it? Do not think I'll be doing this for much longer, very disallusioned with people in general and corporate specifically--people lie all the time and corporate does nothing but cover their a--.

**[Title Updated]

50 Replies 50
Jane352
Level 1
Hortonville, NY

I have added a security deposit in extra charges as well as a $100 cleaning fee but have yet to receive either. I would think the guest would be charged security and cleaning once they book but I have not gotten it as yet. Airbnb makes it sound like once you add it, it is charged automatically but this does not seem to be the case. 

Airbnb is impossible to reach, they have no customer service. I really need to know that there is security being put up on my home. Anyone know how this is done, nothing I read makes sense to me? I added a fee for cleaning and a security deposit and I have yet to receive either.

Jane

@Jane352

You should be paid your cleaning fee, you are not paid the Security Deposit, a theoretical amount you can claim on if needed.

David

@Jane352 , about reaching Airbnb: Go to Airbnb Help here in the discussion rooms, look for the post "Contact Airbnb" by Dave and Deb. it's close to the top, a great resource.

You haven't had any recent rentals, but rest assured, the next rental will include your cleaning fee of $75.00. your security deposit of $1500  will never get collected up front by Airbnb, and neither by you, Airbnb puts a hold on it and in case there is a claim, they might, or might not, decide to get you some compensation from that fund. It never just happens automatically, you need to submit proof of damages, etc.

You have listed cleaning fee and security deposit in two different places:  in the additional prices section (where it belongs), but then also under house rules. the amounts are different. What counts is what is in additional prices, that is what Airbnb will consider.You never collect $$ outside of the Airbnb platform. Best is to go back into your listing and take out the second set of fees listed in the house rules. 

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I guess I have a different take on this than many. As a guest, I would not expect to be charged for an entire set of sheets over a stain that they could not remove and would probably fuss a bit over the charge. We have hosted about 150 guests over 2 years and had our fair share of stains. I have always been able to remove them, sometimes with a lot of effort!!! I find blood pretty easy to remove with hydrogin peroxide. I usually go on the internet to hunt for a solution. My arsenal includes dawn dishsoap, oxy clean, baking soda, bleach, white vinegar and h.p. Good luck and happy hosting.

I agree that a 500$ charge for sheets also seems huge.  Even though this is what my sheet sets cost because I decided to invest in 600 count egyption cotton 5 star hotel quality sheets which are visibly very luxurious.  That's a choice and a marketing argument I put on my listing, I know sheets are fragile and if someone stains them I will not expect to get the full price of the set back. 

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

After extensively reading about damage deposits I have come to the following conclusion:

- most guests will NEVER accept responsibility for damage and getting into it with them can cause a lot of negative things for the host

- lots of the damage reports seem to be about sheet stains

- most of the problems seem to be about attitude, the host has to realize where his interest is. 

Seems to me that the host can perhaps try in a non confrontational way to mention the damage and get a friendly agreement from the guest to pay for it.

If the guest resists, the host is probably better off sucking it up and doing nothing, to preserve their review status and avoid ugly posts and retaliatory posts.

You have to chalk it up as part of the running cost of your airbnb operation, especially for sheets.  Airbnb brings you a huge client base and you just have to consider that occasional stained sheets to replace are part of the cost.

Sheets are a huge problem as costly to wash and replace, very hard if you are only charging a small nightly fee.