Setting up payment

Answered!

Setting up payment

New host so learning the ropes. Setting up the payment method - and my bank tells me there is a different routing number for direct deposit or bank transfer versus a wire tranfer to the account. I am assuming Airbnb does NOT wire the money given it takes 5-7 days fore the money to hit my account. If I choose the bank tyransfer method of payment, does someone know it is a transfer and not a wirte?

Thank you

**[Made into a new topic–title updated]

1 Best Answer

@Fran-And-Rose0 - yes there is a difference between a Wire Transfer and a Direct Deposit.  Officially, both are "bank transfers". Your bank is correct that there is a different routing number for your Direct Deposit vs. Wire Transfer.  

A Direct Deposit is processed via ACH system (Automatic Clearing House). ACH is essentially US based and there are versions of it abroad.  If you have automatic deposits from your work, social security, or investment accounts, these are ACH transactions.  Also, if you use your bank card to make purchases at the grocery or at the gas station, these are also ACH transactions. The routing number you need for Direct Deposit is the same routing number on your physical checks in your check book.  It's the first set of numbers printed on the bottom of your checks, on the left side. 

A Wire Transfer is done using the SWIFT system.  The SWIFT network is universal worldwide and the fees are typically higher to use. SWIFT stands for the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications. It is a messaging network that financial institutions use to securely transmit information and instructions through a standardized system of codes. The Wire number is a dedicated number associated with the physical bank itself (not your account per se). The number associated with your specific account is called the IBAN. So SWIFT is the code to move the money and the IBAN is the number to make sure it gets to your account. You would need to get these numbers from the bank for a wire transfer.

There is no way for any of us to know if you are getting wire transfers or direct deposit.  You can check your payout method within your account settings.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/54/how-do-i-edit-or-change-my-payout-method

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/425/when-will-i-get-my-payout

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2

@Fran-And-Rose0 - yes there is a difference between a Wire Transfer and a Direct Deposit.  Officially, both are "bank transfers". Your bank is correct that there is a different routing number for your Direct Deposit vs. Wire Transfer.  

A Direct Deposit is processed via ACH system (Automatic Clearing House). ACH is essentially US based and there are versions of it abroad.  If you have automatic deposits from your work, social security, or investment accounts, these are ACH transactions.  Also, if you use your bank card to make purchases at the grocery or at the gas station, these are also ACH transactions. The routing number you need for Direct Deposit is the same routing number on your physical checks in your check book.  It's the first set of numbers printed on the bottom of your checks, on the left side. 

A Wire Transfer is done using the SWIFT system.  The SWIFT network is universal worldwide and the fees are typically higher to use. SWIFT stands for the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunications. It is a messaging network that financial institutions use to securely transmit information and instructions through a standardized system of codes. The Wire number is a dedicated number associated with the physical bank itself (not your account per se). The number associated with your specific account is called the IBAN. So SWIFT is the code to move the money and the IBAN is the number to make sure it gets to your account. You would need to get these numbers from the bank for a wire transfer.

There is no way for any of us to know if you are getting wire transfers or direct deposit.  You can check your payout method within your account settings.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/54/how-do-i-edit-or-change-my-payout-method

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/425/when-will-i-get-my-payout

Appreciated. Thank you