Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

Answered!
Randy0
Level 3
Portland, OR

Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

I provide guests with a dedicated private bathroom along with their rented private room.

I am currenlty providing shampoo and soaps (along with some other personal items and toiletries)...however I buy a regular size bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that can be used for multiple guests; mainly because it's cheaper and more economical.

However, as I have skimmed through other listings I see some hosts provide 'travel size' or 'single use' items for each individual guests (similar to a hotel).  Is this normal?...good?...or acceptable? or should I consider buying single use and travel size soaps and shampoos?  

I just started hosting so I haven't heard of any negative feedback on the issue, but I don't want to make a guest feel 'yucky' about it.  I've traveled through Airbnb and have used normal size bottles of shampoo and shared bars of soap and have been fine with that, but I'm not sure if that is OK with the general community.  

I'm looking to guage what other hosts are doing in the way of providing bathroom essentials.  thanks! 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700501237776.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97

Hi @Ron29 I buy in bulk from Rocky Mountain Soap Company in nearby Canmore, Alberta. They have a "Green Bubbles" program & provide everything you need - all the refillable bottles, bulk containers and shower stands. It would be worth having a look to see if there's something similar in your area. I've used RMS products for years and discovered their Hotel Amenities Program through a google search. You just never know what you can find nearby! 

https://www.rockymountainsoap.com/pages/hotel-amenities

Guest comments have been very positive - it's a green practice, keeps thousands of tiny bottles out of landfills, saves gallons of partially used product from being wasted and it's easy to maintain, just refill as needed. I also supply small soaps, individually wrapped, but for hygenic reasons, throw away the left overs. My daughter makes the soap in very small bar sizes, so I have an endless supply. - Karen

Hi I go on amazon it has everything for airbnb soaps toilet paper etc...and ships free to most places its fantastic! 

Hi Richard,

We are just starting up, and I wondered with bar soap and shampoo if you provide them in smaller, hotel-style amounts?  I like the way you do it, which is just what I'd appreciate as a guest, but I don't want to waste unused larger bars of soap, etc., for short term guests.

Thank you!

John

@John559 tried to find your listing????? did you stop hosting??? just checking

Good advice.  Thank you. 

Deborah8
Level 4
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Hi .. My tip is to buy pretty dispensers for the consumable items that you can refill from economy size products , without looking cheap or stingy . Maybe buy very small individual soaps that can be replaced new , in the wrapper for each new guest .

All the best   x

Travel-sized essentials are generally preferred; adds value to the listing too.  You may check out getting travel amenities here:  http://www.essentialsgo.com

Sorry I tried that link http://www.essentialsgo.com and got:

Sorry, this shop is currently unavailable.

Hey!

I actually own a soap business called Shore Soap Co. and we've just introduced wholesale pricing to hosts. We offer liquid hand soap, body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. 

You can find out more here: **

**[Advertisement removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to advertise on the Community Center. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700501237776.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Raquel13
Level 10
Miami, FL

I do prefer to offer single use items like soap, shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste. For those of you who live in the US, Big Lots and similar stores sell single use (travel sizes) brand name produts for $.25. I don't think I'd be comfortable using products that were used by previous guests. Frankly, I'm always surprised that many of my guests don't use any of the products. Even wine and goodies are left behind untouched. Interesting, isn't it?

Steve36
Level 1
Cayman Islands

i provide. soap shampoo, conditioner. toiler tissue. coffee, tea etc and some fruit for my guests arrival.

if someone books for a month should i stock up on kitchen roll. toilet tissue. ?

also curious today i received a mail from a potential guest asking how much 1 night would cost him. my price is clearly displayed im guessing. why would he ask that?

thanks guys in advance. great site.

Of course we had someone walk off with the spare toothbrushes, toothpaste, and earplugs that we put in the room. It was very upsetting. We live by the trainstation so we have the earplugs to avoid complaints. We didn't have time to purchase new ones before the next guest came in, but they took a full pack of earplugs. It was really unnecessary. I was surprised they didn't take anything else. 

Timothy8
Level 1
Austin, TX

I always leave a bowl with qtips, lint roller, makeup remover, cotton balls, sunscreen, toothpaste, toothbrush, aleve, and razor for guests to use.  Most guests don't need anything and leave the bowl untouched.  Then last weekend my 9th group (2 guests) stayed 2 nights and cleaned out the cache all except the toothbrush.  I had to laugh - they even praised my nice selection of toiletries in their review.

So I will continue providing travel size toiletries as I think it is a nice touch but may add a small placard.  Just not sure how to phrase it best.  Something like "For your convenience during your stay" or "Take what you need - Leave what you don't - Thanks!"

Any other suggestions welcome:)

Tim

Brandee0
Level 3
New York, NY

I've just started hosting on Airbnb. I'm on my 5th set of visitors. So far every group has consisted of 6 people. The group i have now is the first group that has continually asked for more tissues and paper towels. The last few groups were fine with the amount I provided. I'm not being cheap but normally when my husband and I stay in a cabin upstate we use what is there and just buy more from Walmart. Is it my job to provide endless toiletries? They are even here for that long and have already gone through several rolls of both. My other group were here for a much longer time span and never complained. I know this sounds petty and I didn't complain to my guess I graciously refilled but I would just like to know going forward if there is a standard. Can I supply a reasonable amount and then post something in the house rules that states once it runs out they are responsible for refills? If I'm being unreasonable please tell me! Thanks