Should I cancel this booking?

Answered!

Should I cancel this booking?

A very young looking lady has "instant booked" my place and says she's bringing 4 boys all under 13 years of age.  She has no reviews and has just joined Airbnb. Don't feel comfortable about it as she's given no more details.  I don't know where she lives or why she's coming to the area.  Would you cancel a booking like this?

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

But Douglas, do under 13's have IDs? And anyway, that won't help with the concerns you might have with the poor ratio adult-child.

I certainly want more adults than children for hopefully adequate supervision. at least 50-50.

Tighten up the rules for who can IB for next time. I would be extremely reluctant to cancel  (I wouldn't, but I wouldn't ne happy either, much like your feelings). Only recommended guests can IB, and add extra conditions if you like. For mine, you can't IB if you are a group as the beds are differently priced. Nor can you IB with children outside my set ages.

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Douglas109
Level 8
New York, NY

I personally wouldn't cancel, but I would request IDs for every guest on arrival. If she complies and they're all related I'd feel at ease, even if it's a loud situation as would be expected with four young boys.

If she doesn't comply then there is something to hide, you don't let her in, and report the situation to Airbnb.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

But Douglas, do under 13's have IDs? And anyway, that won't help with the concerns you might have with the poor ratio adult-child.

I certainly want more adults than children for hopefully adequate supervision. at least 50-50.

Tighten up the rules for who can IB for next time. I would be extremely reluctant to cancel  (I wouldn't, but I wouldn't ne happy either, much like your feelings). Only recommended guests can IB, and add extra conditions if you like. For mine, you can't IB if you are a group as the beds are differently priced. Nor can you IB with children outside my set ages.

@Julie888 you can ask for the guest to fill in more information in their profile, or to explain more about the purpose of their trip. (These were things hosts used to have a chance to do before reservations were confirmed before Instant Book.)

If the guest refuses to provide more information, you can use their lack of cooperation as a reason to ask Airbnb to provide a penalty-free cancellation. The guest should at least be willing to explain how she acquired 4 pre-teen boys and why they feel a need to stay at your place.