Should I review this guest?

Cathryn2
Level 2
Elkton, MD

Should I review this guest?

I have been a host for 1 year.  It has been a wonderful experience.  Love meeting and greeting my guests!  All of my guests have been extremely respectful of our apartment and have left it practically spotless.

Until yesterday's guest.

I went against my better judgment and accepted a reservation to someone with no reviews.  She looked harmless enough.  She's a student at the local university and said she wanted to "cook a good meal for her boyfriend's birthday."  

She showed up an hour earlier than expected.

She began frying fish about an hour later.  

When she left the next morning I went into the apartment to clean/change linens, etc.  Apartment REEKED of cooking oil, fish, and other cooking odors.  I opened the door to the outside, turned on the fans, sprayed with odor eliminator, lit a candle -- everything I knew to do.  

The floor was STICKY with cooking residue and splatters of pinkish/red sauce.

The top of the stove was covered in cooking grease splatters.

The bottom of the microwave over the stove was splattered with grease.

The interior of the oven was splattered with a pinkish/red sauce.

After doing the dirty dishes left on the counter I opened the cupboard door to put them away and discovered that the other dishes had been run under running water and put away dirty.  I opened other cabinets and drawers and discovered the same.  So I had to wash all the pots, pans (encrusted with grease and food), all the utensils, all the dishes.

The floor was littered with rose petals and leaves.

i am boiling vinegar and water in the apartment now (one day later) to try to neutralize the odors.

It took me 3.5 hours to clean the studio apartment.  Normal cleaning time (including changing linens and cleaning bathroom) is 1.5 hours.

I am hesitant to leave a review because she is local.  I am, quite frankly, afraid of her reaction if I give her a poor review.  

Should I just not review this guest?  

Husband wants me to invoke a $50 cleaning/damage deposit which we've never had to use.  

I'm disgusted that the apartment was left in such a state.  

First time I've been burned.

Thanks for any input.

16 Replies 16
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Cathryn2 uhhh, I can feel your pain 😞

But this is exactly why we do not offer oven usage in our apartment. It is there but we removed the grill and put it out of order. With back to back bookings we just don't have time to scrub the oven or vent the place for days.

We also have in our house rules this sentence: "It is forbidden to cook spicy, smelly food, fried fish etc..."

I advice you to do the same. In one year of hosting we had just one jewish couple who cooked very smelly food and after their short stay we had to vent the place 2 days. 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Cathryn2  Please post this this review and warn other hosts; I don't want her staying in my place.  

"XXX was a nice person, however, she left the kitchen in a disgusting mess.  She put dirty dishes away in the cupboards and  there was a sticky red sauce all over the floor, surfaces and oven.  I would never host her again."