Smelly guest body odor

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

Smelly guest body odor

I have a really smelly guest from Egypt right now. I was advised not to tell him he smells because it's cultural. I have another guest in the house. The body odor on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 10.

I am also worried that the room will smell when they leave or that the mattress would be damaged by a lingering smell. I have another guest who booked with us the same day the smelly guest leaves. We are worried the room will have a lingering stench of body odor. 

What should I do?

120 Replies 120

@Jessica-and-Henry0 but different might be bad 🙂 To be honest I've hosted people from other cultures with different body odors and as bad as it might sound it was "bad different" for me as I might not be used to people from that particular culture and their different personal body odor. As I said before when someone asked why i was defending him, I am not, I always feel with the hosts and I understand him. But everyone is assuming he is a dirty non-showering person and maybe he is, but he might have some health problem hence the odor.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unwashed is unwashed. One culture doesn't smell any worse than the other. Washing habits are key. Scrub up or ship out. 

Man  my guest showered every day and he STILL smelled so bad. I think one key piece here is deodorant. I guess this might be were culture comes in.

Well, as someone who has been to over 65 countries and has at least 7 different nationalities in my immediate family (own and inlaws) I can tell you that some countries haven't adopted modern (western as well as NE Asian) hygiene habits.  Fact.  Awkward issue to deal with, but some of it is definitely cultural.

Perhaps you need to chill out and kindly accept this person. You are creating anger and hatred. When you could be calm and empathetic.

Take a step back and relax

I think some of us just need to learn to set boundaries of our comfort/discomfort, and make sure to let our guest know about them, about what makes us very uncomfortable. If people break the house rules, let them know. I learned from experience. And I keep learning... still. for example, now I have a very smelly younge lady who has very poor personal hygene. the whole condo smells. and I'm looking for better ways to let her know that it bothers me tremendously! 

What have you tried/ did try? I was leaving the fan on in the washroom. I hate confrontations so I never did just tell them straight  up.

Jay235
Level 4
Kent, WA

I say "bad" guest because we told them not to send their mail to my house. They did anyways. I told them not to cook in the bedroom. They did anyways. I telI them not to cook after 10 pm. They do anyways. They left my front door unlocked. The body odor is unbearable. Its not a health issue. It's just plain old bad body odor, they don't use deodorant. It's him and his wife. And when he showered, once it was with out the shower curtain and water got down the air duct vents!! They just "don't get it". It's like they booked a room but wanted to take over our house. This is why I sad they are a"bad" guest.

Should I ask them to leave?

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Jay235 Yes you should and let them know it is because they broke most of your house rules.

Thanks for your help

I see your point. It's useful to update your house rules saying that you are renting only a room! The cooking to be done from that time to that time other wise you can withold your permission to use it. ... and print it out and ask them to read it in front of you preferably.  and it's always good to have communication over the airbnb chat. people do not understand that it's not a hotel, that airbnb is your house and they are guests. they do not get the concept. respect yourself. communicate well. make sure you educate your guest if it's needed to make sure you are on the same page. 

Yes))))!!!!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Jay235 , thanks for the headsup, now we know what the problem is. They do not now how to shower.

"To shower" does not mean to open the showercurtain and spray water into the air duct vents, the original concept of how to shower is, so spill water onto Your body, use soap or shower gel and then go ahead and clean up Your body. They are just not familiar with this concept. I'm sure there are showerclasses out there somewhere.

🙂 So funny!! 😄 Should I ask them to leave?

@Jay235, no, You should tell them to leave.