Smoke damage from a guest who did not open the flue initially when using the fireplace.

Smoke damage from a guest who did not open the flue initially when using the fireplace.

After my guests had departed, I went to the property and upon opening the door smelled a very strong odor of smoke. I then saw the visible smoke damage all over the white painted brick fireplace, ceiling, walls and ceiling molding. The guest had permission to use the fireplace and a Duraflame Log was placed in the fireplace for them.  I have guests arriving in 2 days and don't even know if I will be able to be able to get the home smelling normal again in time for there arrival. The guests did not tell me anything about a fireplace malfunction or problem so, I can only assume that they did not open the flue initially.  The fireplace was tested some time ago and worked properly. There is a chimney cap on the chimney so that not animals can make home inside the chimney.  Has anyone had this unfortunate problem. So upsetting not to even have been told by the guests. How would you handle this?

3 Replies 3
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Did you give/leave instructions on what needed to be done with the flue when using the fireplace. If so then you have a good chance of a successful claim (assuming you had a security deposit in place).

If you didn't have instructions, then I imagine you will find it difficult to have a successful claim. Lots of fireplaces have quirks etc that you get used to if you use them over a period of time. But it's not always something a guest would know about unless told.

Hope you get it sorted and you should at least get a quote for professional cleaning to get rid of the smoke smell from curtains etc

Thank you for your input. I texted the guest on her phone about the situation.  She texted me back but, what she said about the damage really made no sense. Within minutes I recieved a notification from Airbnb saying that she had cancelled her reservation. (She of course, has already stayed at and left the property) .  I guess from the action that she took,  that she is not interested in a resolution and was somehow trying to prevent me from receiving my rental payment. I spoke with Airbnb and they said that Airbnb will be sending me an email within 24 hours about a possible resolution...they also mentioned that she had cancelled her Airbnb account. They assured me that the guest's actions would not prevent a resolution.  My main concern is preparing the home for my guests who will be arriving on Thursday. We will see how the resolution turns out. Tomorrow is a new day! 😉

Hi,

What happened with airbnb, the guest, and the resolution?  I'm curious because I also have a fireplace.  Thank you.