Sorry, another thread about reviews for bad guests ...

Cat-Phuong0
Level 7
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Sorry, another thread about reviews for bad guests ...

Hello the Community,

An everlasting concern for hosts, apparently, and in any case for us: how to review bad guests?

We have read many similar threads, we have reviewed several bad guests already ...

But since we've just discovered 2 public harsh responses to our bad reviews (which were harsh as well, but deserved in our opinion), we're rethinking again about the best way to handle bad guests.

Some facts first. We rent brand new modern apartments in a tower. We don't live there, this is only for business. We aren't far, though. We know that comparatively to local competition, our standards of quality are extremely high, regarding our places and our personal hospitality. We mostly have good guests, who keep praising both week after week.

So, we have the following policy to review our guests:

- best/perfect/top guests: 5* everywhere, warm-hearted comments, thumbs up

- good guests: 5* everywhere, nice comments (more neutral), thumbs up

- so so guests: 4* here or there, neutral (ok) comments, thumbs up

- bad guests: less than 3* here or there, bad comments, thumbs down

- worse guests: down to 1* here or there, harsh comments, thumbs down

We feel that, as much as guests showing consideration for their hosts (through politeness, cleanliness, gratefulness ...) deserve to be praised, those who don't care at all about their hosts should be penalized, to warn and protect future hosts.

Whereas the majority of our guests are great by being courteous and responsive, simplifying our work, being open-minded, making sure they leave our place in decent condition (or better), respecting our rules and us, why should a minority be totally careless, behave like in hotels and leave without being flagged?

Some of them had many good reviews, like "clean and tidy", from hosts who probably never met or dealt with them ...

Whenever we face that kind of guests, we almost always observe the same pattern: careless or absent communication, only to ask things, never hello/please/thank you, (much) dirtier than the rest, no respect of several of our rules, etc.

We don't buy the excuse of cultural differences, because we've hosted top guests from all corners of the world.

We don't buy the excuse of having a big family and/or no time, because we've hosted top family or busy guests, likewise.

We know it's due to bad/poor education, immaturity, arrogance, etc.

And yes, those people are never wrong and always have something to retort instead of doing self-criticism.

They're used to easy going hosts, actually, who provide little and expect little or nothing ... So they demonize us.

Sorry for that long introduction, but now our short interrogation:

Should we go into (harsh) details in our reviews, or should we just say "better suited to hotels", that kind of things? Are low ratings and thumbs down enough to do our job towards other hosts?

When they make us suffer and stress for days, it's human that we want to trash them after they leave, given all the attention we give to all our guests.

Thanks for reading us, and sorry for being a bit long 🙂

Cat & Alex

32 Replies 32

@Judith131, I had a look on your profile and your listing texts, as you attract an unusual amount of deceptions. My impression was that your listing description calls for them. 

Every chapter mixes a normal offer, a way exxagerated offer, a rule and lots of excuses. That gives the impression of a generous perdon, who has no idea how to stop giving of even a notion what is enough. So every profeteer reading it, knows he will have a field day. 

To avoid that, you have to structure the listing as it is intended and to set limits. 

The first part is intended to sell your place: write a good description what there is in the room, bathroom and breakfast. (I would not mention the meat and oatmeal in the listing, only write that guests have the possibility to cook a light breakfast during breakfast hours).

in the interaction part, cut it down to areas they can access (during specific hours for some, if you need privacy too) and that either you or a family member is available for help or information. It’s not important for all that read the add, where the several people reside. It even gives the impression, that there could be so many in charge, that in the end nobody is in charge and a guest will get away with everything.  

I did not read everything. If you do not have it, add a descr If the area and what you can do there and how to reach interesting destinations. That attracts people more likely to be outside and active. 

Finally: all rules belkng in the house rules chapter to be enforceable. Put important rules there, things like where to put used towels can be explained in person or by notes in the room. 

Phone numbers cannot be published. That you do not know that, sends a signal to potential scammers, that you will not know either how to get help. 

In the chapter of your account where you set the location, you can scroll down and write a message sent directly after the booking. You could add infos how to reach you, some rules and other things there. Or in the chapter house manual. Only booked guests get this information. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Marit-Anne0Excellent recommendation on that article, which was well, well written. One passage in it called my attention: "The US legal system in fact seems to roll out the red carpet to malicious liars, as it has never heard of a lawsuit worth throwing out. Sally thrives in this atmosphere where lies get you so much mileage, and figures Airbnb renting should be no different. " Very perceptive of the author. I have always thought a society is only as good as it demands of its people.

Marie152
Level 2
Southampton, United Kingdom

The reviews should be open and honest I feel as I have had guests with short reviews. Solo male guest for example "polite guy"  "pleasant man" etc etc only to discover they may present as a polite or pleasant person but they break the house rules such as smoking in the apartment and leaving it as though there had been a party!

By not being honest in reviews, how is a host able to know whether they are a good guest or not to have in my flat?