Spam Fake reservations

Zelda2
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

Spam Fake reservations

I am starting to get fake reservation requests that are in fact spam trying to sell me services. I am stuck with either declining the reservation and being penalized by Airbnb or accepting and allowing a scammer to have access to all my personal information including address and cell phone number. I am not referring to real people asking questions which has always been that way. I am talking about SPAM and there is no solution that I can see in the current format. I do not want to give out my personal information to spammers. Hosts should be able to flag spam in some way.

13 Replies 13
Linda410
Level 2
Waiuku, New Zealand

I have just had the same! From a member called Karl who is trying to sell portable sleep out units. He has made an enquiry, gave me a whole heap of rubbish to read about how he was dealing with other hosts until it got to point of trying to sell to me. I went back and asked him if actually wanted to book the room. He said no. I have adked him to withdraw his enquiry will see what happens. How do we report it and get rid of them? I don't want to be penalised for declining either. 

Joe-And-De0
Level 1
Anchorage, AK

I have had at least 6 text messages with the same one night stay in 2018.  There is only one sentence in the text.  Nothing is pulling into my Airbnb inbox however. 

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

1.Decline on a computer, then you can flag it as spam in the drop down menu. 

2. On a computer you can flag a contact as spam without declining, but you would need to answer something ("Vade retro, spammer!" Would do)  😉

3. Even if you accept a reeuest, it's not a booking and very improbable that someone would pay a night's fee to get your address. On the darknet, he could get a few valid credit card details for less. 

Zelda2
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

Helga, thank you. I will check out the flags you are talking about. About #3 though, they don't have to pay. They make the reservations in the future. As soon as you accept, they have your information. They can then cancel their reservation - so they would never have to pay.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

If you only pre-approuve, they don't get any information. 

If it's a booking, they pay and when they cancel afterwards, they don't get the airbnb fees back. 

If it's an organised spam, it's a robot, a program that runs alone. It would be a bit of an effort, to give the robot a valid credit card. 

Zelda2
Level 2
Annapolis, MD

Thank you Helga,

I thought Airbnb didn't collect until they checked in. But if what you say is true then that would be a deterrent. I didn't realize they didn't get their fees back. Thank you!

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

No problem, @Zelda2

Airbnb collects as soon as the booking is concluded, either by Instant Book, booking after pré-approuval or, in case of a normal booking, as soon as the host accepts. This money is held in trust for both parties - and it generates a bit of interest in the meantime;-)

There are special cases, "extenuating circumstances ", where a guest may cancel with 100% refund, including fees, but those involve human intervention. 

Dave153
Level 1
New York, NY

I got a similar request. I am copying and pasting the text from this person. Please advise what shall be the next steps

Text from the reservation:-

Hi Dave! Your listing is one of the most beautiful in New York! Would love to help you expand, details at dave543744.host.vacations

Hi all,

Just want to share what your though about my case. Somebody booked my room and I checked everything before preapproval. 

Date is due to check in, but the guest didnt turn up. Ive been tried contact Australian mob but its seem wrong no or not connection.

On the system bnb is overseas mob contact no.

Doesnt meants this is spam ??? Please need your advice. Thank and looking forward from your experiences

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Sisca0, you contacted the Australian mob? 😉 Be careful with this word. 

If the foreign mobile phone does not work, it may mean that they did not switch it on to avoid roaming costs or that it does not work in your country. Send them messages via airbnb, most people find free wifi whilst traveling. 

If you did not agree upon a certain check-in time, you are committed to wait during your checkin window. Write on the message thread how long you will stay and how to reach you afterwards. 

Next time ask for flight details to look up the flight in case of delays. 

Some people just do not arrive. If they do not dhow and do not cancel, you ae paid nevertheless. Contact airbnb nevertheless, so that the review is blocked. 

Thanks Helga for your advice. 

I found that this tenant using another no. tht why I coudnt reach her mob before.

I think i found another problem with her. Look like she planned tht she doesnt  want check out from my place. Instead of check out, she is looking sleep in my sofa bed. which is in the couch.  (I really dont want her stay longer as she is bit stubborn as I knew that she has problem in the house but I hasnt rise the problem). I will have another tenant will check in, the day after she will check out. Could you please give suggestion in regards to this problem. Thanks and looking forward back from you. 

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Sisca0, Iwould send her a message via the airbnb thread to remind her of the checkout day and time and indicate that as by airbnb terms, overstaying costs the double normal rate. You have another guest arriving and need the room vacated at the hour agreed upon by the booking terms. (Repeat the checkout hour of the listing)

Suggest that she can easily find another place cheaper than “your double rate”. 

And send a message / call airbnb as well to inform them a problem in that sense may arise,  but you are working on it. 

If you are thinking anout letting her stay on the couch, set up a shared room listing with strict house rules and a higher price. 

I rent the same room as private room at 35 to 40 for longer stays, with normal rules, but when I’m in the apartment as well, I rent it as shared room at 43 (with breakfast), but they need to be out of the house between 10 am and 5 pm. A week maximum. 

That works very well and gets repeat guests, both tourists and business travellers. 

Personally, I would hesitate to let a clingy person stay, or someone searching for a home without really searching. I would offer the couch to a guest with a reasonable explanation why tgey have to stay a defined period longer. Never for free and only via a booking, if there was a tiny doubt. 

Don’t forget to set a deposit, if you create a new listing. 

Milja1
Level 1
Budva, Montenegro

I am receiving few reservations with the same message in russian to send them email, to talk outside the airbnb, and when I declined, and reported as a SPAM, I am receving from new user ( name of the user also just capital letters: GHGYBVNJ) saying the same, just different dates and trying to book another apartment. So far, today I had 4 of new users and those fake reservations! It is frustrating!!! :(((( I just don't see how this can stop!