Strange unexplained notifications in my calendar.

Strange unexplained notifications in my calendar.

I am seeing some things, that seem notifications, in my calendar that I don't understand.

They are:

- a red dot next to the nightly price on certain dates

- a green light bulb (?) in the top right hand corner of certain dates.

Not all dates that have a red dot also have the green light bulb. But a few dates do have both.

These notifications only show in my calendar on my desktop computer. They do not show in the phone app.

What do these symbols mean? 

15 Replies 15
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I 'think' they mean what Airbnb thinks about your prices: perfect, a bit high or too high. The little lightbulb one escapes me.

@@Fred. No, abb never tells anyone via these little calendar notes that pricing is good or low. (Smart pricing may occasionally raise pricing)

ABB seems exclusively focused on lowering pricing. Most business people and/or economists would not endorse this strategy

They (color of dots) appear to do just that in my calendar @Kelly-And-Dan0.  Red/Orange (I am a bit color blind) appears to be telling me the price is too high. At first I tought it was a 'deviation' from previous price, doesn't appear so. I just tested it. Either way they look cute, I still ignore them. The light bulb - no clue.

(I corrected this message 4x, sorry, but needed to test it a few times)

Addendum: I see now what the lightbulb means below. Cool.

Airbnb tell me my prices are about 20% too high and I have the next 6 weeks fully booked with even the odd day between bookings getting filed with last munite overnighters.

How can reducing my prices be any good for us or airbnb

Josie-and-Paul0
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

The green light bulb means “someone who was looking at your listing for this day booked elsewhere for $x cheaper”

Yes, this is what the lightbulb means. Someone picked a different booking after they looked at your place. Is it always cheaper??? I’m not sure. But abb seems to think that price drives all decisions. You may think otherwise. 

The red dot means that abb thinks you should lower your price. Why they think this no one can tell you. 

I have them all over unbooked nights on my calendar too.  No explanation anywhere I can find.  Price still listed some days have light bulb and red dot.

I also would be interested in knowing what the green/blue light bulbs mean. A comprehensive "map key" for the calendar would be best.

Airbnb said I set that so they could basically screw with me price. If I chose that how do I I choose it? No answer. It’s not smart pricing .... but it is with another name. 

@Connie0, I can't understand your question...

"Airbnb said I set that so they could basically screw me with the price. etc etc. 

Karen307
Level 4
Durham, NC

The lightbulbs mean that your place showed up in a search but someone booked a place for x$ lower. I wonder why they don't let us know also when someone books a place for y$ more? That would also be useful info. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

How absurd is it to have symbols used on a website but nowhere explain what those symbols represent?

I get messages sometimes saying that someone looked at my place and booked a listing for 24-50$ less than mine. My questions is: is there a listing in my town that charges 25 to 45 dollars a night? If that is that so, I do not care, I will not list my spot for less than 60 dollars a night, not worth my trouble. 

So, the red dot means my price is too high? 

Also, I do not understand, I guess the guest that books 6 months in advance pay 20 to 30 dollars more a night than the ones who book 3-2 months in advance?! One of my guests is paying about 450 for 4 nights and another is staying for 7 o 8 and is paying not even 600 ? Just a week after? In August? Can someone explain to me how they they manage Smart Pricing?Thanks a fellow super host

Jo-Ann61
Level 2
Hampstead, NC

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off these calendar notifications?  If so, where are the settings located? Thx!