Subleasing without permission - potential situation

Rosemary4
Level 2
South Padre Island, TX

Subleasing without permission - potential situation

Summer is our busy season.  I had someone book a long-term (30-day) stay and yet they are from a town 1.5 hrs. drive away.  Renter stated it was her parents herself and her boyfriend.    In talking to the building manager, he said that people from that area sometimes sublet the condo without your knowledge for their own profit.    I sure don't want that!    I messaged the renter that I needed the exact names of the (up to) 6 people coming and she hasn't responded yet.   I feel strongly that this could be one of those sublet deals.  

So what do I do?    If I cancel, I think I'm dinged by Airbnb.  If I don't cancel and they try to bring someone else in, I suppose we could do that, but that leaves bad feelings all around, and the original renter might take it out on my condo!

Airbnb is impossible to directly message about this, which is annoying as well.    

I would rather get it back and attempt to fill it up with regular summer renters than have this situation hanging over my head.

Any wisdom on such a thing?

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rosemary4

First, you have no evidence that this is the case - just a warning from your block manager to be careful. Which is good an fine. Howver, they may well be a very sensible and nice local couple who are bringing family to the area for the summer. 

Did they have reviews? Was there anything susupicisous about their original request - I guess you would not have taken the booking if there was.

I would give them time to respond - many people take up to a week or two if their booking is not immediate.

If by then then don't, contact AirBnB and ask them to make contact with the family and if they can't ask them to cancel on your behalf. 

Remember if you cancel, then your calendar will be blocked and you will be unable to let the property to anyone.

You can message AirBnB directly on Twitter - search for AirBnBhelp. Pretty sure they will just ask you to give a bit of time for the guests to respond. 

My question would be: they give you the names of the people staying - what does that tell you? Does that make you feel comfortable about the booking?

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Rosemary4

They may be locals having house revovation done,

Anecdotally my cousin rented a house to a family for a year who lived five houses away because they were having the home completely renovated.

Another point I’d like to make is, your prices must be too low if your Airbnb your apartment to people who in turn are AirBnb your apartment!

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII