Suggested prices too low

Tanelle0
Level 3
Spearfish, SD

Suggested prices too low

I keep getting updates and suggestions to lower my nightly prices.  I have already lowered prices based on Airbnb suggestion.  Now I look at my calendar and it suggests that I lower the prices further!  My two bedroom/ two bath home is certainly worth more than $65 per night.  Airbnb should be concerned with the guests, but also the host, as we are the ones opening our homes!!!

6 Replies 6

Agreed. I've abandoned "smart" pricing and stopped paying attention to automated suggestions altogether because they accomplish nothing but imposing absurd downward pressure on prices. Berlin is the 3rd most visited city in Europe, and a basic hotel room here runs around €100 per night in the off season. But suddenly this year, Airbnb seems to have decided that a spacious, centrally located accommodation during a busy holiday weekend should be as little as €20 per night. This is a step too far past competitive pricing; in the context of this city's cost of living, it's far too little to fairly compensate the hours of work done by hosts to provide quality hospitality. Also, the pricing algorithm does not seem to account in any way for details like location and amenities which add value to the property.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Anonymous

Airbnb don't care Andrew, because they make money on every transaction no matter what the price, with no risk of loss or damage.

When are 80% of Host going to wake up to the fact that Airbnb are treating us like fools, mind you I’ve noticed over the last few months some of the staunchest Airbnb supporters are starting to display some dissatisfaction with Airbnb.

Airbnb should be an outstanding platform, but it is careering into a morass of bureaucracy, ill thought out schemes and mathematical incompetency where their system is suggesting prices which is tantamount to below cost selling.

This won’t change while people still think that AirBnb is the road to riches…

I’m actual looking forward to Airbnb’s IPO (initial public offering) as Hosts can buy shares in the company and perhaps put our voice on the board.

Regards

Cormac

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Tanelle0-They don't care. Hosts are a dime a dozen.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Cormac0- Excellent input. Thank you! Very helpful for me.

Pamela325
Level 5
Racine, WI

When hosts low ball their pricing, we all lose! AirBnB should be aware of this and stop the practice of suggesting such low pricing suggestions. For me, it is not worth the effort and risk of renting out my home if I am not going to make a decent profit. All hosts should adopt this practice and set pricing at a fair but profitable amount, so we all win!
David641
Level 3
Union Bridge, MD

I've decided what my lowest price is and won't go below that. I'm fortunate that I don't have to rent out my property, so if it is vacant, it's not a big deal. My price is my price, just as no children is my policy. If guests don't like it, there are other listings for them. I agree with comments above about other guest under cutting in a market. A good strategy is look at what hotels in your area charge, and compare your service to those hotels and then charge acordingly.