Suggestions on how to host if we have an infant child?

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Suggestions on how to host if we have an infant child?

Many hosts have children, and some have very young children.  Often as these parents consider having guests at their home, they are concerned about their young child -- either a toddler, or perhaps an infant child -- in the context of having a guest, a "stranger" , in the house.  Sometimes such a host will come to the host community to ask what advice in particular the community members have about strategies for keeping their child safe with a "stranger" (or more than one "stranger")  in the house.  

What would you recommend as strategies or tips for a host who has a young infant child or a toddler?  

5 Replies 5
Florian-and-Theresa0
Level 10
Mintraching, Germany

We have a little baby boy since the end of June and we still host. 😉 But we offer entire homes as accomodations and no private room (studio flats in our family home).

But I think this question is a really good scenario how you feel with strangers in your home. Having a baby/toddler/infant just reveals your true attitude towards having strangers in your own home.

But for the host praxis: I think you should mention children in your listing or in the message exchange if guests come in contact with them. Unfortunately there are people who just don't like children or feel stressed with them and you don't want to have them in your home. 😉

Petra0
Level 1
Prague, Hlavní město Praha, Czech Republic

We have 17 months old daughter. We stopped hosting for the first year as we can offer only shared room and I was concerned about her sleeping more than anything, I wouldn´t want my guests not to get good night sleep because of her cry. Since she started sleeping all the way through the night we started hosting again.

I think it is very important for the guests to know that there is going to be an infant or a toddler in the household. I understand that some people are not very much into children or when they are on their holiday they want to maybe escape their own little ones 🙂

So honesty is the most important thing. The next is to be confident that your little one will be comfortable with strangers. The best is to observe this at the playground or in the park. Does he/she get scared when someone strange is around? Ask your friends that he doesn´t know so well to test him. You wouldn´t want to stress your child when hosting so if he/she is not fine wit strangers I wouldn´t push it. 

From my experience I have to say that all of our guests were so kind and friendly wit our daughter that she is always looking forward to meet the next guests. She comes to the door and gives huggs when new people arrive, she shows her toys and wants to share with her snack. I think this is absolutely amazing ang I am glad Airbnb provided this opportunity for her to meet people from all over the world, realize that we are all the same human beings. 

As to the question about the safety of the child. Obviuosly our little one is too young to be left alone so there is always someone with her or around. I pay attention to the hosts profiles and try to communicate with them as much as possible before their arrival. 

From our positive experience I would recommend hosting with child as long as your child is fine with strangers.

We are in a situation where we live next door, same building, as our rental and are getting complaints about our kids being too loud. The are 1 and 3. Never did we say our rental was super quiet or a santuary and we always made it clear we were right next door. My kids are not even that loud they are just walking around no earlier than 7:30-8am and are asleep by 9pm. I am feeling so defensive since I don't want to stop my kids from being kids. But we can't afford a bad review. We are super hosts and have never had an issue until now. #feeling sad

@Temple0  Many parents become "immune" to the sound of their kids and are able to tune them out.  People like me (30's with no kids) hear every little sounds and cringe.  If you are receiving complaints, obviously your kids aren't as quiet as you think they are.  I would make this clear in your listing to make sure to set the expectation ahead of time.  "We live right next door to the listing and are the parents of two toddlers who are fully of energy and laughter.  Occasionally there will be times you hear squeals of joy or the pitter patter of little footsteps next door.  If you goal is complete silence and relaxation during your stay, this may not be the best listing for you."

Erika500
Level 1
Mar del Plata, Argentina

Hello ! I live with my 15 m baby in a 2 bedroom apt and want to list 1 private room with bathroom .

Where should i mention  i have a baby on alternate weekdays and alternate weekends?

should i split the listings  for weekend where my babay is not home?

Thank you!