Sunshine Coast Council permit

Gavin23
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Sunshine Coast Council permit

Hi, has anyone had experience getting the right approvals for short term holiday letting on the Sunshine Coast Queensland.

i received a a breach notice from council, following a complaint from a neighbour. Thanks to One brain dead guest who booked for six guests and turned up with fourteen, on a weekend I was unable to meet them.

Ive got quotes from two town planning companies,  both are quoting over five thousand dollars.

With returns from the short term rental being similar to longer term, I'm trying to find a cheaper way to get the approval, as I'm struggling to justify the cost.

19 Replies 19
Deborah729
Level 1
Landsborough, Australia

I, too would like to find out something tangible regarding Air BNB in my home and the Sunshine Coast Regional Council.  I fill out a tax return for the income which I receive from Air BNB for my one bedroom and bathroom.  Does anyone have any concrete information from the SC Council as I can't find anything on their website.  

Regards

Deb 

Rosanna51
Level 4
Queensland, Australia

Have you seen the new Category on the rates flyer issued by Sunshine Coast Council. It’s called “Transitory Accommodation”, which means Airbnb hosts will be slugged an average of over $300 extra on their rates notices.

"Council in all consciousness must ensure that people who are benefitting from an increase in tourism are also making a contribution," Cr Jamieson said.

What about all the tourism dollars we hosts bring to the local area?

Anne1771
Level 1
Sunrise Beach, Australia

How do you find out what the your area is zoned for?

Gavin23
Level 1
Queensland, Australia

Hi Anne

Zoning - Check the council website and look for the council planning scheme,  the planning scheme will have maps / zoning overlays, and you can see where your property fits in. You need to be in a zone that allows short stay/holiday accomodation.

If you aren’t comfortable doing this yourself you need to talk to a town planner and get professional advice, specific to your property, which isn’t a bad thing for peace of mind.

Vanessa664
Level 1
Noosaville, Australia

FYI from Noosa councils web page (proposal). 

Do I need an approval under the local law for short stay letting?

An approval under the proposed local law will be required annually to operate short stay letting. However, an approval is not required for-
  • units within an onsite managed complex (and managed by the on-site letting pool);
  • holiday houses where the premises is only used by the owner for periodic holidays and is not used for commercial gain;
  • where the short term letting is home hosted (owner resides permanently on site). 
Note: Where the on-site manager does not reside on-site, a nominated person (e.g. employee) responsible for the complex management, must be on-site overnight.

Traditional holiday houses 
Traditional holiday homes remaining vacant unless the owner, family or friends use the house for holidays (and there is no commercial gain) do not require a local law approval. The house must not be rented or leased on a commercial basis.

Home hosted accommodation
Home hosted accommodation where the owner is on-site and lets a bedroom, studio or hosts a student or similar do not require a local law approval. Traditional bed and breakfast accommodation or rural cabins also fall within this category.

Proposed Annual application for approval 
The annual application fee for an approval is proposed to be $100. The fee will be waived for applications made within the first 6 months of the commencement of the local law.