Super Host Status - The seemingly UNACHIEVABLE goal

Mark71
Level 2
Norfolk, VA

Super Host Status - The seemingly UNACHIEVABLE goal

I have been chasing the unachievable for 3 years now. That most mysterious of prestigious clubs, the SUPER HOST.

i follow the rules, I have over 100 5 star reviews, my guests love me so much they bring me gifts! Yet this elusive gold medal on my profile never seems to materialize. 

It haunts my dreams that I am not worthy..........

42 Replies 42
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mark71

I found the sinner

"The host canceled this reservation 31 days before arrival. This is an automated posting."

That will keep you away for a year.

Are you kidding?? ONE cancelled reservation out of 100??  They demand solid gold perfection? 

Have they read my reviews? Have they seen my accommodations? I GET GIFTS! I've hosted international guests who have NEVER been in AMERICA!

They SERIOUSLY need to look at this on a case-by-case basis and not go on STATS alone.  It's discouraging to hosts to GIVE THEIR ALL AND GO ABOVE AND BEYOND.

I've heard that in their market research they found that host cancellations were a HUGE dissatisifier for guests. So yes, Solid Gold perfection on that one.

With over 3million listings, they can't award SuperHost status on a case by case basis; they have to rely on stats. If you must cancel, do so through Airbnb support to see if you qualify for extenuating circumstances, or for good cause (like guests intended to break your house rules) so the cancellation doesn't go on your permanent record. THAT's your chance to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

@Allison2 ok crunch those numbers lady!

@Mark71 too bad you can't walk on water, I bet that would help.

I'm not sure if that was an attempt at humor, or a sarcastic quip coming from another host who apparently hasn't hosted nearly the amount of guests nor equivalent accommodations.

all so true @Mark71 - one cancelled reservation does it. you can always look at the superhost requirements and how you are "measuring up" : dashboard>stats>standards. it tells you right away where the "problem" is. so mine looks like this right now:

Screen shot 2017-07-05 at 11.18.22 AM.png

Commitment rate: 1 cancellation and your commitment rate drops under  the required 100% .

Response rate:  for booking "Requests" it is measured by hitting that approve/decline button within 24 hours.

If it is an "Inquiry" only, you do need to answer within 24 hours but need not hit pre-approve or decline, though Airbnb leads you to believe you need to do that also by keeping it red or orange red in your inbox and calling it late response - and then miraculously, that finally just drops off and disappears. kinda deceiving, pressuring you into pre-approver or decline.

5 star trips: that's where the anxiety comes in  about not "measuring up" and hating 4 star reviews.

Review rate : just watch that over 50% of your guests leac ve a review. I hate propmpting guests to do so, worse even is to impress on them that it better be a 45 star review, or else...

Overall, I see no tangible merits in getting the superhost badge - and I say that as one who has it. So you get that shiny lil badge tacked onto your profile picture, what else?

You might think it gets you better ranking in the listing - not so, didn't make a bit of difference for me.

You might think guests will be impressed and thus book with you : I highly doubt that, as most guests don't even know what it means. You will get an Airbnb voucher or so after 1 year of superhost status - but that's about it.

In fact, I am against superhost because it creates so much drama, so much unhappiness about that dreaded 4 star review coming in, it makes hosts uptight, resentful - and fearful.

And all that for possibly  feeling  like "Airbnb likes me - I am special, I am superhost!" - No, not worth it!

It's simply a tool for Airbnb to keep hosts in line and docile, to do "better" - just like lil kids rejoice when they get that gold star in Kindergarten.

I agree 100% with you!! I'm going just fine without it! Plus I am a cohost and have seen places where they have super host status and I have no earthly idea how they ever got one cause the place is gross! I would walk away if I were a guest

Excellent reply -- sharing what I wrote to someone who dissed this guy:

O please, then you have not had any psychotic guests and are lucky.  I had one dude from Australia who stayed 10 days of a 2 week stay, had a psychotic break, freaked out at everyone, then left the next day cause he was so embasassed by his behavior.  To justify his bailing he made up a story about mold in my bathroom air vent.  When I disproved his claim, airbandb found that I had no mold, denied his claim, but then refunded his money out of their pockets, unknown to me at the time, and allowed him to post a review stating I had mold.  They find my evidence, pictures etc., validating, determine there is no mold and his claim is a lie, and still allow him to write a review repeating that lie??  And post a 1 star review?  Puh-lease.

Maybe your listing is just bland.  I have a pool, hot tub, and stunning grounds -- so when the instant bookers who book my 4 person rental and state in their comments they intend to have a party and I have to cancel them because, well, they intend to have a pool parties at my place when they are just supposed to stay there, and I cannot allow 30-50 people to trash my neighborhood and yard then I get punished.  This happens almost daily in the summer -- everyone who sees my place wants to stay here and have a party and if I say no party then I get trashed.  I can show you 50 inquiry's from upset people who are mortified they cannot rent the unit for themselves and have a huge party.  And 50 more from instant bookers who ignore my restrictions and state they intend to 'have a little get together for family and friends' at my pool while they stay here.  Even tho I am very specific about that several times in the description.

Like I said, you guys are lucky.  I work my ass off and cater to each person that stays here, I get 5 star glowing reviews from 98% of my guests -- we treat them like family and have become lasting friends with many of our guests.  I promise you I am on my toes as much as you -- from fresh flowers and treats and beer and great coffee to helpp with bags and rides around town I fully cater to my guests.  But when we get crazies or rule-breakers we get zero support and lose our superhost status.  Completely bogus.

Another glitch for you @Annette33:

Filtering for SuperHosts through the app is not an option. You have to use the pc to tic it.

This might explain why it does not make a difference for you? Who amongst the young use anything else than a smartphone when booking??

Mariann 🙂

Jack90
Level 6
Queensland, AU

Hi Mark,

I can see from your listings and profile that you are definitely a fantastic host. Superhost criteria is a bit weird and specific, but definitely attainable. Though, a couple of picky and difficult guests can make that very difficult. 

Keep working towards gaining that superhost status. I feel that the reward of being a superhost is moreso in achieving it, than actually having it. I've been hosting for around 7 months now and been a superhost for just over 3 months. It really is not as beneficial as some may think. he badge is nice to let guests know that I'm a reputable host, but most people don't seem to notice. Phone support is fantastic if I do need some help as they is pretty much zero hold time. The recognition for my hard work is appreciated. But other than that, there aren't really other benefits. 

Your listing seems to be doing quite well Mark. The finicky criteria of superhost doesn't mean you're not a good host. It's very easy to not be able to fulfill a stay or have a few guests leave a poor review. The value of superhost is in trying to achieve it, and you seem to embrace that. Wish you the best of luck hosting!

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

Superhost is not a big deal.  I don't think guests care either way and I don't see how it affects listings.  Strangely, I got superhost right away.  This time around I've missed it by just one five star review...one not five star review and that was that, knocked me out.  This was because last time around EVERYONE who stayed reviewed me.  This time around NOBODY reviewed me, unless they had a knit-picky complaint like 'strange odor in the bathroom' (which that day I had used a special shower scrub for the tiles that smelled like peppermint). if you barely have people reviewing you and when the few people do they give you four stars...that stinks as a host because it's not representational of every guest.  I remember calling once about an issue and the Airbnb CSR said to me most people do not leave reviews.  So....if that's the case, and this whole 50% needs to be five stars...it seems kind of a weird way of labeling 'better' hosts.  There could be a better way to differentiate good and better hosts.  Like I really don't think my first three months of hosting is as good or better than, say, Annette, who is a seasoned host and been around for a long while.  I also don't feel it's fair if these investors who have multiple properties compete with those of use who just rent a room out of our homes...it's not apples to apples. I cannot get wrapped up in it.  It is what it is.  I do the best I can with each and every guest.   I still stand by having four stars should be great...my place is not a five diamond resort and to me...in real life I stay at a two or three star hotel and I am fine with that because it's in my budget and I realize I cannot expect Ritz if I can only afford Motel Bates.  

@Joanna85, I laughed out loud at your mention of Motel Bates.... really hope I never stumble on that one!! 

I kind of wish they made you do 10 reservations a month to get superhost status, and make the bar that much higher, and actually give people good benefits.   

I'm in a similar situation with reviews.  I'm always at 79 percent, no matter how many five star reviews I get.  I've tried to explain to customer service that it's almost mathemetically impossible to get higher, based on how they way their reviews.  A one star review is essentially a 4 star review... that's the real problem in the system.

Also, you said you cancelled someones reservation.   That's not cool.... there's your answer.

I personally think there are too many amatuers trying to get their way into the hospitality business, and that makes it harder for the people who are doing this full time.   I get the spirit of airbnb is essentially renting your couch... but I think we all know tons of hosts in our neighborhoods that just shouldn't be doing this at all.