Supplying Firewood for Guests Using Firepit

Endless supply?  Enough for one fire? Help!

What do you offer your guests for whole house rental with firepit?

5 Replies 5
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

I don't have a fire pit - but if I did, I would supply enough for one night's fire and let the guests know where the closest place to purchase more is located.  Endless supply could get expensive.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Chrissie-And-Rich0

Personally, I would be extremely hesitant about supplying guests with wood for a firepit.

People can do silly things when they have had a drink or two, and you can never tell when that occurence out of 'left field' will happen.

You just don't know how responsible strangers are, and to me it is just another risk that you are exposing yourself to!

How much wood you would supply would (wood wood wood 🙂 depend on what the guest considers an adequate fire! If it's particularly cold they may want feel like they are at the gates to hell and put more wood into the pit than it is designed for! They don't care, it's not their pit, they just want to be warm!

What sort of fire control measures do you have on hand?? Although you say it's a 'pit' as opposed to a bucket or grate, but how much distance from the pit to the seated area?  And is that seated area flammable? What are the neighbours attitude to smoke intrusion into their space?

By the way, I just love your listing, but unfortuantely there are no pics of the firepit area so a bit hard to be more definitive! 

I don't know, your call guys, an inside fireplace is one thing, people in general respect what it is, but I would not leave guests unattended with wood outside on my property. Having been active in the CFS (Country Fire Service) I have seen a few of these things get out of hand! Like pushbikes, keep the wood locked away in the shed!

Cheers..... Rob

ahhhh!  So much to consider!  We just closed on the place in November, so the firepit doesn't exist yet.  Have to wait for spring thaw for the big reveal.  Most vacation rentals around here have firepits.  No question.  Expectation.  

Our first renters are late February.  We are so excited to be AirBnB hosts and have been lurking here and on reddit, reading EVERYTHING hosts are posting.  But, we still understand it won't prepare us for the real deal.  Good luck to us!  We appreciate all and any advice given.

@Chrissie-And-Rich0

Rich, Good luck mate but please, make sure you read the rules, paticularly those which surround  bookings/ enquiries and cancellations. When those bookings start coming you must know exactly what you are doing, and keep Airbnb's phone number handy so that if you do have a query of sorts you know how to get onto someone. The phone numbers in your part of the world are... +1-855-424-7262 / 1-855-4-AIRBNB (toll-free)

It's a funny quirk of life that when you are prepared, nothing ever goes wrong! When you are not the problems stick to you a malaria mosquito in the jungle!

Cheers.....Rob 

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

Defnitely enough for one fire, that's what we do. We've had too many guests make raging fires, keep them going for hours, with no thought to the cost or effort to provide the wood.