Support for Hosts with Bloody Sheets

Sarah-and-Alex0
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Support for Hosts with Bloody Sheets

This is for hosts who have had guests bleed on (or ejaculate on, or whatever) their linens.  We've had this problem, and handle it in a straightforward way.  More on that below, including sample text (NB: You need to have a security deposit in place, and handle it the day of incident or checkout).   However, since we seem to feel differently about this than other hosts do, we wanted to share our thoughts and possibly encourage new hosts with the same problem.  

Someone else's period (or nosebleed, or shart, or ejaculation) is NOT your problem.  Practically speaking, a guest may refuse to be responsible for her or himself, and may rob you of your time or money (kind've making it your problem).  However, you do not need to feel like you're being unreasonable because you don't want to scrub someone else's fluids out of your linens.  If you're a female host, you can reject your bloody guest's request for solidarity and still be a feminist - she's stealing from you, and telling you to be OK with it because of your gender; that's not gender progress.  If you're a male host, you probably haven't heard this one - and you don't need to excuse this type of damage where you wouldn't excuse skid marks.  Period blood isn't morally dirty and taboo, it's just a bodily fluid that stains, so you don't need to feel awkward asking your guest to reimburse you.  A gendered argument for the host just accepting these costs, where other types of damage are more readily reimbursed, is totally retrogressive. 

So basically, just because a very small minority of guests who cause stains (a small number already) steal your time or money by refusing to be responsible for themselves, doesn't mean you're crazy for not wanting to scrub out their stains.  If you're willing to do it, by all means, but the first time this happened, we called Airbnb Superhost Support to ask for advice, and they seemed **horrified** by the idea that we would do anything but burn blood-stained sheets.  

TLDR:  Don't treat women and men differently - have a security deposit, demonstrate clear boundaries, and ask guests to honor them. 

HOW TO REVIEW THE BLEEDER:  With great civility and honesty.  

If the damage is reimbursed graciously, "We had a small issue with a stain, but Lady Guest was completely gracious about reimbursing us for the cost.  Since we understand that these things happen, and given how politely she handled the whole thing, we'd certainly recommend her to other hosts."  

If the guest refuses, "While Grotesque Bleeding Guest seemed like a cool person, I cannot recommend that other Hosts welcome her into their homes.  She refused to reimburse us for the sheets that she ruined, after agreeing at the time of booking to approve documented charges for damage to our security deposit.  This is a great breach of the trust we have in the Airbnb community, so we hope other Hosts will be able to avoid the same problems that we had with Grotesque Guest."

NOTE:  Airbnb's algorithms seem to give us more InstantBookings when we give fewer guests the dreaded Thumbs Down, so we started reserving the thumbs down for the most truly egregious guests and save most feedback for the comments. 

STEPS FOR MAKING THIS EASIER IN THE FUTURE (again, you need to have a security deposit on your listing before the guest books)

1.  We always include a note in our welcome message that if linens are stained, they'll be charged against the security deposit.  

2.  We send the guest a message telling her/him:

"Hi, thanks again for staying with us!  It looks like there are some stains on the sheets, and for everyone's health and safety, stained sheets need to be disposed of.  Luckily, Airbnb's security deposit system makes it easy to add the replacement cost to your booking after we provide documentation.  We've had this happen a few times, and guests are always gracious in handling it.  If you'll approve the security deposit charges when we submit them, we'll be all set.  Thanks again, and all the best!"

3.  Photograph stains (including tag if possible/relevant - our sheets are Ralph Lauren, so that tag makes a difference)  🙂

4.  Submit a security deposit claim ("Request Damages" or "Resolve an Issue" button I think) including photos, a polite note, and a link to the replacement cost online or a photo of the receipt.

Airbnb does not make it very clear, but guests do not appear to be compelled to approve the charges.  We once had a guest refuse to pay for the sheets, and we ended up making a claim to Airbnb, which paid us 80% of the cost, and then we experienced a serious drop in bookings for that listing (only for the one of 2 identical listings for which we submitted the claim to Airbnb).  We do NOT recommend submitting this type of claim, just in case Airbnb is penalizing hosts who pursue claims for damages that the guests refuse to pay.  

67 Replies 67
Violet11
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

I am very upset, because after being an Airbnb host for two years, and cleaning lots of bodily fluids/wine food stains up after guests with no problems,  I can't believe my first experience of staying at an Airbnb. I got my cycle and left the smallest blood stain on the sheet, and now the host is trying to Charge me for a new matress! As well as some sort of extra cleaning feel for all of the bedding including matress topper, duvet cover, etc. Only a tiny part of the fitted sheet had anything on it! I actually feel like crying as this is humiliating and I feel is is very unreasonable. If the host had asked for 20 euro, because they wanted a new sheet I would be fine with it, but a new matress? They also called it disgusting, and it is a women on the host picture, but a man that we met. All feels very sleazy. 

@Violet11  Have you asked for photo's of this damage you have supposedly caused? I would.

@Violet11   It does sound like the host is trying to get you to pay for things you shouldn't have to and I hope you can resolve it satisfactorily. But I have to say that if I were a guest in someone's home, whether it were the home of a friend or somewhere I had booked, and saw that I had gotten blood on the sheets (which just happened to me recently, scatching a mosquito bite in my sleep), I would tell my friend or host right away and ask them how they wanted me to deal with it, not just walk away without mentioning it.

My husband and I never even met this host, we met some man who was unfriendly and did not explain who he was, and we left early in the morning. For me to go in search of them, potentially wake other guests (all the rooms seemed to be airbnb rooms) to tell them about a little period blood on the sheet is the equivilant in my mind of waking them to let them know about some drool on a pillow. In the two years my husband and I ran an airbnb we never had anyone wake us or write us to mention the wine stains, blood stains, and god-knows-what else stains I cleaned up. But ultimately what does it matter? This person is not trying to charge me for the horrible shock and trauma of walking in the room to find a little period blood on a sheet, they are trying to claim that this caused damages out of the ordinary that they should not have to pay for. When the reality is all that must be done is to soak the sheet in a little salt and cold water, before washing as normal. If this person wants to leave a review saying I am an inconsiderate guest, because I didn't wake them to let them know, than so be it that is their perogative, but that is not the situation here. 

@Violet11 Thanks for giving a little more info on the situation- I understand why you weren't in a situation where making it known was an option. 

I guess I've been lucky- I host a room in my home and I've had a couple of female guests who've had similar accidents, but they right way told me and asked if I wanted them to wash it out, or if I would rather do it.

Sounds like this host is just trying to scam a new bedding set, complete with mattress.

Honestly - we've had projectile vomit from chaperoned teens, unidentified stains (including on a mirror) from an overexuberant couple who hadn't seen each other in a while, etc.. We use high quality sheets, presoak, hydrogen peroxide when warranted, hot water washes. I was even able to get red wine out of microfiber sheets (the guest tried to hide them,  had to bill a guest for the ruined comforter which wouldn't release the stains - but they paid promptly) I don't charge unless the problem is particularly egregious.

For what it's worth - right now Costco has Queen sized Charisma sheet sets on sale for $12.99 including four pillow cases, and dual sets of XL twin sized sheets for $14.99 (after the back-to-school rush is over they were half price last year so we bought multiple sets of the same color).  They're microfiber sateen and are good at releasing most stains. In the rare case there's something that doesn't come out I can just toss them or use them for rags.

But a good soak has pretty much fixed most guest accidents. The rest I chalk up to being human.

FYI, I have found that Big Lots has a line, Aprima, that are 100% cotton, nice and heavy, high thread count, and they stand up pretty well to a lot of washing and hot water.  I get them on sale for about $30 for Queen size, they also sell cute non cotton patterned sheets for about $15.  I've also found cute non cotton sheets on sale at Target for $15 to $20.  I know some people spend a lot more on sheets, but my feeling is that the more money I have spent, the more stressed I am if they are ruined. 

@Mark116  Thanks for that tip. I'll check it out. We have a large linen closet and it's pretty helpful to have multiple sets of sheets for each bed to help with turnover for incoming guests! The high thread counts are the easiest to clean. 🙂

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

I had a guest leave a small amount of blood on the sheets. I survived.

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

@Sarah-and-Alex0

Leave a stain stick in the room with a note or a verbal instruction "if by chance you have any accidents on the sheets you would really be helping my laundry out by dabbing it with the stain stick before you check out, and I'll handle the rest".

As long as they make an effort theres no reason to shame them in their review or ask for reimbursement. And at least youre being proactive about the problem.

Jennifer1191
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

I agree with Sarah and Alex completely. Excessive staining is rare but is also out of the ordinary behaviour and should be treated as such. We host in Mexico and have to carry down decent quality linens ourselves when we travel. We just had a family stay and in the master bedroom a top quality, brand new designer duvet cover and pillow cases were left for several days stained with urine,  juice and some orange sauce that is impossible to get out. We went over and above for this guest to set up the space for their children, and they will be charged for ruining the master bedroom linens. Otherwise we will have to charge everyone more, reduce the quality of the accommodations we provide, and stop allowing families with children because one family did not respect the property. I am stunned the parents did not soak the stains right away (just seems common sense and we provided spare linens for this kind of situation plus we have a house manager who is only a text away). If top quality linens are part of the experience you provide as a host then you are right to seek damages. We are and will in the future. Our house rules now indicate this clearly.

@Jennifer1191  As you can see, I also host in Mexico and fully understand the unavailability of quality bedding here and the need to bring it down with you. 

However,  "top quality designer duvets" are not a very good option in a listing catering to family beach vacations, any more than expensive antiques and irreplaceable items.

Unless a listing caters to CEO executive types, and adults only, there is no need for such high end items. We all want our places to look great, but reality is that these things will happen, so....

Not suggesting you use sleazy 200 count polyester sheets and duvets, but nice, attractive cotton bedding would be a better option and is available at Ikea and many other places, and replacing from time to time is just the cost of doing business.  Really no need for designer linens. 

If you stay there yourselves sometimes, I know many homeowners here who have linen and towel sets for themselves, and even pillow and cushion covers, which are kept locked away, and other sets for the guests. 

Sarah - I do have sets for myself and my family. And by and large it is not an issue with most our guests. However, there have been two guest parties, both Mexican nationals, who have completely ruined brand new linens. Replacing linens or towels after just one guest, at the same cost I earned from rental is not acceptable.  I am talking extreme damage such as guests who checked out yesterday and used a coverlet as a napkin while eating food with chili sauce. Not to mention the woman who had her period all over sheets, brand new towels, then went to sit on a outdoor cushioned chair and bled through on the cushion then turned it over and bled through on the other side. We hosts should not have to swallow this kind of extreme damage. A hotel would charge for these kinds of extreme problems. Just telling me to reduce the quality of my accomodations is not a solution. By the way, it was adults who created the most damage.  

@Jennifer1191   Yes, I totally understand, and of course it's not acceptable for guests to be disrespectful of the place and they should be held to account for damaging things beyond repair or cleaning. I was just suggesting that having items that are quite high-end can be upsetting and expensive for you when guests aren't careful and refuse to pay up. Many guests will appreciate what you offer, but some won't. Unfortunate, but true. 

I've had two lovely Mex. national guests who left their room and bathroom super tidy and clean (of course I expect to handle the heavy-duty cleaning) and one who left it an unbelievable pigsty.

Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

@Sarah-and-Alex0:

Thank goodness, I haven't had a guest soil my sheets. My towels yes. If I can't wash the blood out in a single wash using bleach, I have to toss it. It's just not sanitary.

But I do know that if there is blood on the sheets, I will not wash. I'll just throw away. So before I here a ton of I'm wasteful or I can just wash. I'll be strict and say NO NO NO NO NO

I work in healthcare. I'll not go into details as to what dangers that can be in blood other than it's safer to spend $40 for a nice new set of sheets from Costco and not worry about transferance of diseases. 

I already know I wouldn't hesitate to let a guest know they'll need to pay for the sheets. Good job Sarah & Alex for staying firm. And yes, it's a health hazard and best to throw out the sheets.