Suspicious activity

Alicia144
Level 4
Tyler, TX

Suspicious activity

I am new to Air B & B.  Just had my cottage total renovated specifically to have an Air B & B rental.  My first guests arrived about four days ago.  Since they arrived they seem to be drinking all the time.  My bin is loaded with beer cans.  They have brought visitors into the cottage and am worried as to what is going on in there. The cottage is small and not really appropriate for more than two or three people.  Today, there were 5 guests, all with a six pack of beer. I have no idea how long they stay sinceI go to bed around 11:00 pm.

These people I might add, look dirty all the time.  Today, the guy was wearing white gloves while the weather here is 92 degrees F and had a can of beer in his hand.  Don't think I have ever seen them without a bottle or a can of beer.  They also try to avoid contact with me as much as possible...which makes it hard for me to talk to them.

This couple still has seven days left to stay with me. I am dreading going into the apartment for fear of any filth and smell they might have going on in there.

I am sure I am not the only one that has had this problem but would like to know how some of you have handled it while the guests were still there.  My attorney (my cousin) assures me I have every right(as the owner) to go in and check the premises anytime I wish.

I'm trying to be considerate of guests, but by the same token, worried about the stench possibly left behind and how I will have to work to get it out of the room.   Suggestions appreciated.

12 Replies 12
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Alicia144 I've had a look at your House Rules & you clearly state 2 people only, no heavy drinking etc. so these people are violating your House Rules & you have very right to ask them to leave immediately. Did you add these rules after these guests checked in or were they in place when they booked? The answer to that will tell you if you have any leverage here. If they're breaking a House Rule & you want them out, contact Airbnb & ask then them to leave.

It's a learning experience, that's for sure! I think we've all had to add more & more House Rules as time goes on & guests do yet another thing that we hadn't considered & certainly don't want to allow. If you decide to let them stay and your place is a mess in the end, take (dated) photos & go after them for additional clenaing/damage through the Resolution Centre. Sorry this has happened to you on your first booking, all the best in getting it sorted out - Karen

Karen, thank for your support.  Yes, the website has always said two guest max, but have changed my requirements in the last few days (such as the no heavy drinkers and new age max).  This morning was a weird morning.  My guest told me (when they arrived) that they would be sleeping till 11:30 each morning(seeing now how much they drink and how late they stay up...well, it's all falling together). This was mentioned to me because I offered to bring them fresh hot muffins directly from my oven the following morning.

Going back to today.  Late last night when I saw them leave the house, I left them a note on the cottage door informing them that housekeeping would take place today(as stated on Air B&B website).  I did let them know that I would do it at their convenience.  Being that they are late sleepers and off in the evenings, I did mention that I would be happy to do the housekeeping in the evening when they go out.  Told them I needed about an hour and a half.

Went to bed at 1:30 am and checked to see if they were back.  They were not, however, their car was parked on the side of the house.  They do this when they leave with other friends  When I got up this morning at 6:30 a.m, I noticed that their car was parked in front of my home (so somewhere between 2:30 and 6:30 a.m. the car was moved).

I went to have my breakfast and when I went to my living room (around 7:30 a.m.), I noticed that their car was gone (strange since they came in so late and they are late sleeper).  I decided to go outside and check the lock on the gate.  She had left the gate unlocked.  I locked the gate from inside, which meant that nobody could come in unless someone personally let them in.  Now they would have to call me to let them in.  I waited patiently and finally about 8:30 she came back and tried to get in, but could not, so she went back to her car, which was on the side of the house.  About fifteen minutes later, her significant other came and unlocked the door for her(apparently he had stayed behind).  He went to her car (I could not see what was going on because of my tall fence, but later he came back and locked the door from inside.  He was wearing white gloves the whole time...weather here at that time was 85 degrees F.

Being the optimist person I am,  I keep thinking that perhaps he has some kind of medical problems and perhaps the gloves are a protection or medication of some kind.  What is strange is that the girl never came back in.  So again very uncomfortable.  Waiting for them to get back to me on when I can do housekeeping today. By the way, I did call Air B&B to let them know of my concerns with these young heavy drinkers and their erratic schedules.  Everything has been documented.  I shall go in with my phone and take pictures before I touch anything.  Sadly everything was new and in pristine condition when they moved in.  My heart is breaking for all the work I put into the cottage to make it the perfect lodging for our guest. I shall keep you posted.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Alicia144

I do not do long term bookings bit have seen some Hosts have a compulsory regular cleaning, once a week whatever, that also allows them to check the place.

You may also need to re stock toilet paper etc.

David

David, thank you for your support.  This was a hard lesson for me. And yes, I left 5 toilet rolls for a weeks duration.  Going in today to do housekeeping and my phone is ready for pictures.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Alicia144

You've just reminded me of one of my old tutors who wore white gloves permanently as he had eczema, you well may be right, the place could be turned upside down and filthy, but on the other hand looks can be deceptive, so relax and hope for the best.

When was the last time you had your gas flu inspected? Just a thought. Hopefully you catch my drift.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer’s Club Krakow III

The Explorer’s Club Krakow VIII

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Alicia144,

Any news? 

Keep us informed!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Quincy, you are a doll for asking.  This morning was a weird morning.  My guest told me (when they arrived) that they would be sleeping till 11:30 each morning(seeing now how much they drink and how late they stay up...well, it's all falling together). This was mentioned to me because I offered to bring them fresh hot muffins directly from my oven the following morning.

Going back to today.  Late last night when I saw them leave the house, I left them a note on the cottage door informing them that housekeeping would take place today(as stated on Air B&B website).  I did let them know that I would do it at their convenience.  Being that they are late sleepers and off in the evenings, I did mention that I would be happy to do the housekeeping in the evening when they go out.  Told them I needed about an hour and a half.

Went to bed at 1:30 am and checked to see if they were back.  They were not, however, their car was parked on the side of the house.  They do this when they leave with other friends  When I got up this morning at 6:30 a.m, I noticed that their car was parked in front of my home (so somewhere between 2:30 and 6:30 a.m. the car was moved).

I went to have my breakfast and when I went to my living room (around 7:30 a.m.), I noticed that their car was gone (strange since they came in so late and they are late sleeper).  I decided to go outside and check the lock on the gate.  She had left the gate unlocked.  I locked the gate from inside, which meant that nobody could come in unless someone personally let them in.  Now they would have to call me to let them in.  I waited patiently and finally about 8:30 she came back and tried to get in, but could not, so she went back to her car, which was on the side of the house.  About fifteen minutes later, her significant other came and unlocked the door for her(apparently he had stayed behind).  He went to her car (I could not see what was going on because of my tall fence, but later he came back and locked the door from inside.  He was wearing white gloves the whole time...weather here at that time was 85 degrees F.

Being the optimist person I am,  I keep thinking that perhaps he has some kind of medical problems and perhaps the gloves are a protection or medication of some kind.  What is strange is that the girl never came back in.  So again very uncomfortable.  Waiting for them to get back to me on when I can do housekeeping today..  By the way, I did call Air B&B to let them know of my concerns with these young heavy drinkers and their erratic schedules.  I shall keep you posted.

@Alicia144 , sounds to me like it is time to be pro-active instead of politely asking when cleaning can be done. To observe their comings and goings, it all is nerve wrecking. bottomline: it's your property, you need to protect it. Rules are only as  good as you are willing to enforce them. Sure, to confront them is highly uncomfortable to do - again, it's your property, and they are breaking your rules. Go for it, get clarity! If need be , get them out asap, it's worth the peace of mind.

about rules: seems to me that you probably put that long paragraph about drinking into your rules in reaction to the present guests- but it is aimed at future guests who probably don't deserve this and might be put off by it. As long as you say, "no excessive drinking", I think that does it.I would change it to something a bit more low key. 

Good luck with the whole situation!

Annette, thank you for your support, and you are right.  I will change the wording as you suggested.  I have been so stressed this past week, I am making myself sick.  Had a weird incident again this morning.  Going in today with camera in hand.

Thank you again, Annette, you suggested was warmly welcomed.

Alicia

And how did it go, @Alicia144?

Was your nervousness called for?

I hope everything is allright?

Mariann 🙂

Mariann,

So sweet of you to ask. All turned good, although I had been a nervous wreck.  Entering the cottage I was armed with my iPhone, ready to take pictures.  I did not have to.  While the cottage was full of beer cans in every room, including the bathroom, I found no damage or signs of drugs(drugs being my main concern).

All in all, I would give them a B rating (which I believe to be good). The cottage was as I would have expected from anyone staying in for five days. 

I was in the cottage(still doing housekeeping) when my guests arrived(wth guests in tow). I thanked them for being great guests and asked them if they would mind turning up the air conditioner, and putting out the lights when they left the cottage for an extended time.  The air conditioner was being run at 66 F, and the fans at full blast. Lights were always left on...

I also mentioned that regulations were, two guests in the cottage.  However, had noticed that they seem to have many guests visiting them at late hours.  Told them I would make an exception this time, as long as their guests were out by no later than 10:00pm.

I said all this in a nice manner, as I did not want to offend or upset them in front of their guest. They apologized profusely.  I told them not to worry, that I really enjoyed having them, and I was looking forward to giving them a great review.

The beer is still flowing, but the lights are off when they leave the building...Ha, ha, ha

I learned a lot from this first experience of being an Air B & B host, and am looking forward to my next guest next week.

Alicia

Rose125
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

I sure hope that this all ends well for you. We learned to be more aggressive regarding our rules after a bride booked for herself and her maid of honor but showed up with the bridal party of 6 expecting all to stay. Now Instant Booking is turned off and we ask each request directly to confirm in writing that they have reviewed and agree to our house rules. I continue to be amazed by how many people still request to bring pets and small children even though we are not in a position to accommodate either. Good luck and I hope that it's clear sailing for you in the future!