Talking to a potential guest

Laurie42
Level 2
Carlsbad, CA

Talking to a potential guest

I would like to talk to my guest before renting our house to her.  How can I do that? I noticed that I can't send a phone number and I don't think you can send an email address either for security features.  Is there a way to connect other than through the app?  

7 Replies 7
Renee16
Level 3
Sonora, CA

I have the same question?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Basically no, not how ABB operates.

David

Exactly. Using the platform protects you both by leaving a conversation trail in case something goes awry during the booking - airBNB can then intercede.  And this way your private details (address etc) aren't available for anyone (you don't know) to see.

From their point of view, if people could contact one another off platform before a booking, that would raise the risk of people booking offsite and AIrBNB would be providing a service and getting no fee for it.

Makes sense for everyone to use the platform.  Chat away!  And after a booking is made you can call them (but you still may want to put things in the message thread)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Julie205
Level 1
Fairfield, CT

Before I rent out a 2.5Mm house...I am not allowed to even speak with the potential guest? 

Correct

David
Rebecca683
Level 2
Loveland, OH

I am having the same problem. I do understand by now reading the post here. 

@Rebecca683 The responses here are not informative and they are incorrect. If you wish to have more control over who you approve to book your home, and speak with them first, you can opt not to use Instant Book- then all prosective guests have to send you an Inquiry or Booking Request. You then answer their message, asking them to please tell you a bit about themselves and why they are coming to your area, if they haven't already volunteered that info in their message. You don't give them an inquisition, you just start a friendly chit-chat converstion with them. This is a good time to also ask whether they have read through your entire listing description, are aware of the house rules, etc. and mention anything that guests often miss. "So, just to make sure, you're aware that we don't allow smoking (pets, children, whatever)" "Just want to note, that as we mention in our listing, our place is a 20 minute walk to downtown. That's no problem for you, right?"

A response to an Inquiry doesn't have to be Pre-approved or Declined- as long as you answer within 24 hours, you won't be penalized. If it's a Booking Request, you do have to Approve or Decline within 24 hours. But that still leaves plenty of time before to exchange a message or two with a prospective guest. I find you can tell a lot about someone by how they write (did they actually respond to the questions you asked them? Did they make a bunch of demands or try to get you to bend your rules for them?), and how promptly they answer.

A message stream like this can also come in handy if the guest, after arrival, wants to cancel and demands a refund over something that can be seen to have clearly discussed when they asked to book.

A good indication of someone who will be a problem free guest is a first message like "Hi XXX, just found your place and it looks perfect. I'm coming to take a 3 day course in XXX at YYY, then a couple days of relaxation and exploring. Will be travelling with my sister. Haven't ever been to your area before, but am quite excited to come. Look forward to meeting you."