Taxes

Wendy149
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

Taxes

Does anyone know what the "legal" thing we have to do in Albuquerque, NM when it comes to taxes.  Do we have a lodging tax or gross receipts tax on renting a space through AirBnb.  My accountant didn't even know the answer and trying to get through to one of our govertnment offices takes up to 30 minutes on hold.  Thought someone locally might know.

4 Replies 4
CarlandDiane0
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

@Wendy149, I'm in the middle of this whole dance in our town of San Marcos, TX, whose City Council will vote on this issue next week.

It appears Albuquerque is in the same boat, though according to this article, it seems ABQ already has a permitting process for short-term rentals, with a current cap of 350 total STRs throughout the city. The article also mentions a 7 percent occupancy tax that you'd have to pay, but it doesn't appear that this has been required yet.

My stance is that the city will most definitely let you know when they expect you to pay taxes. Until that time, I wouldn't worry about it. Meanwhile, the city may have luck contacting Airbnb directly and signing what's known as a Voluntary Collection Agreement. If they arrange one of these with Airbnb, then Airbnb itself will collect and tax and pay it directly to the city on your behalf. No muss, no fuss! Our town is now in contact with them to try to set that up.

Hope this helps...

Carl and Diane

Thanks. This does help.  it is a little crazy as to how hard it is to find out information.

Sarah-And-Jonathan0
Level 2
Albuquerque, NM

Wendy, I'm sure you know that AirBnb is now collecting the NM lodging tax. Did you ever get a definitive answer as to whether the host is liable for NM Gross Receipts Tax as well?

No, I don't think so.  Do you know?