Terrible Experience - Host promised us full refund, now refuses

Heajin0
Level 2
New York, United States

Terrible Experience - Host promised us full refund, now refuses

Here was my experience with my booking:

Initially, when we first got in, we opened the windows in the living room since there was no AC in the living room and many bugs came out of the windows, I let the host know this. We did not wear shoes inside to the request of the host and the listing said slippers would be provided but they were not and floor was very dirty, as we saw our feet were very dirty from walking barefoot. Then we realized the toilet was barely flushing. The water could handle only liquids and it was flushing very slowly. We could not use it.

Then the Wifi was not available. I contacted the host about this and she told me that it was not available but she was coming to set it up the next day. Then we realized the stove was not working. I also contacted the host for this she later told me that the gas company has not turned on the gas for this stove and that they could not come within the time for our trip. On Saturday morning after a couple of us took a shower the ceiling was leaking in the floor below it. Saturday morning, a representative came from Comcast to set up the Wifi, that we were not aware of. The host did not notify us that someone would be coming to set it up only that she would drop off the box for the Wifi.

Then the hosts sent someone to check out the toilet and stove and ceiling leaking. We initially were going to stay at the home because it was raining but it seemed that many people were going to have to come in and out if the house to fix the many things so we left. I was quite disappointed because we had wanted to stay in but did not want to be disrupted by people constantly coming in and out to fix things. When we came back around 5 o clock that day, the toilet and leaking ceiling were fixed. However the Wifi was not working and neither was the stove. The TV that was initially not there was also installed but not working because the Wifi was not working.

The host told me that she was working to get a griddle and electric stove for us. She arrived at the house around 2 and a half hours later with a griddle and electic stove top and the Wifi box. As we started cooking we plugged both the griddle and electric stove top in but every 15 minutes or so the entire power would go out in the house. We would then have to manually downstairs and turn the circuit on and off. The host was in the house as this was going on. She was also trying to get the Wifi set up but was unsuccessful. She said she would get us a 100% refund and speak to her mom about it.

So the day we check out the host texts me saying she will update me but after 12 pm I cannot get in contact with her. Her phone is off and she is not replying to any of my messages. She then messages me that she can only get me a $50 refund. I contact Airbnb, they say that I have to request a refund and just wait 72 hours for the resolution center to help me. Is there any way to hold this host accountable? If she had not promised us the refund we would've left at that point because that was just beyond ridiculous and I've been trying to get in contact with her since then and she is dodging all my calls and messages. I am so upset and I have had a bad experience with the resolution center before hand so I would like to know what else I can do. Please help!

16 Replies 16
Heajin0
Level 2
New York, United States

Thank you @Letti0 and @Linda108 for your responses. I have reached out to Airbnb and they have escalated my case. I do not understand why the host has reported me and blocked when I had just been responding to the messages that she had sent me. Hoping that all goes well and this gets resolved. Thanks again for your responses. 

@Heajin0 I know this is a really old message but would you please let me know what happened after this? Thanks!