Texas Hotel Taxes

Texas Hotel Taxes

WOW!  We just discovered AirBnB is collecting Hotel Taxes for the State of Texas.  The Texas Comptrollers office confirmed AirBnB has been doing this since May 1, 2017.  We were not notified, and cannot find any communication from AirBnB on this process.

Hence, we've paid Hotel taxes twice, and now have the onerous task of recalculating and resubmitting corrections.

On top of that, only AirBnB is doing this.  Our listings on other sites are not.  We are left to sort this out.  

One property is listed on two sites including AirBnB listing, and we have to sort out which booking have taxes paid and which do not.

AirBnB sends Texas one check for a jurisdiction, without property or owner identification.  The State of Texas does not know that there are taxes paid on our behalf.  We could be at risk.

There is no way to Opt Out of the AirBnB tax collection and payment.  They have a contract with the State of Texas.

The Guests are essentially paying taxes twice because we set rates to include Hotel Taxes.   

We are totally baffeled by the mess AirBnB has created.

OH, there is more to the story when it comes to the IRS.......

17 Replies 17
Paula4
Level 2
Austin, TX

I show that Airbnb has NOT taken out taxes for foreign visitors to my Airbnb.   They are ripping off the State of Texas if that is their algorithm!!!!

I got a notice from State of Texas for not filing my 1st quarter Hotel taxes.   Apparently, I filed zero returns for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters of last year.   I  looked at the tranaction history for the 1st quarter of  this year.    Airbnb DID NOT collect or Pay for the Texas Hotel taxes from a foreign visitor...

I'm PO ed because I always had to pay the 6% tax for ALL my guests!

Paula,  I'm in San Antonio. Had guests from Japan and they paid the taxes for them to Texas. Your guest may have given a tax exempt letter to AirBnB. I have had a military stay that was tax exempt due to it being a work related stay. It was only one night, but I did not have to pay the taxes on the stay and refunded the ones collected by HA.  

Maguilu0
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

I need your help leti I am also in The Bexar county and I am reading and I don’t understand do airbnb retain the taxes or I have to start charging taxes , I have my city permit but still very new in this and I don’t understand thanks Maggie