The Airbnb Community Commitment

Daniel335
Level 2
New Milford, CT

The Airbnb Community Commitment

I am not a host, but a traveler.  I have a trip booked for December of 2016.  Also planning a trip for March of 2017.

Now Airbnb says if I do not allow them to regulate my life, I cannot book.  This is the statement:

"You commit to treat everyone—regardless of race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age—with respect, and without judgment or bias."

I am not going to do that.  You do not have the right to ask me to do that.  You only have limited rights to asks your users to adhere to certain behaviors.  This goes so far beyond that.  It is essentially AirBnB saying only certain types of people, the right kind, can use their service.

Based on this statement, Airbnb can no longer use their service.  They are judging me unworthy, because I do not live up to their standards.  That is a judgment and a bias, based not upon business reasons, but upon their moral position.  They violate their own standards.  It is disrespectful, judgmental, and biased.

I cannot believe this will survive litigation, a hotel company saying only people with their moral judgments can stay.  

Are people upset by this?  How long until is changes?

87 Replies 87
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Which one of those do you see yourself having a problem with: race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age?

Catholics.  I do not like Papists.

Blagoje0
Level 10
Split, Croatia

Everyone has choice. Accept and continue to be part of the Airbnb community or do not accept.  I will, though I do not need this "certificate", cause I respect all good people regardless of race, religion, national origin, ethnicity...

In other words, if I do not think like you, I cannot be part of your community.  Isn't that a judgment?  The statement says "You commit to treat everyone with respect, and without judgment or bias."  I am part of everyone, and you have judged me.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Don't worry @Daniel335 according to your profile pic you are a door rather than a person, so I am not sure that you count 🙂

I have a no door policy..

LOL! That wonderful response made my day. Anyone want to host Daniel???

Daniel. As antipapist how does that effect your ability to be a guest? Are you requesting a non Roman Catholic listing? I'm a bit confused. What's wrong with you having your own opinions? Though not sure how AirBnB knows hosts religious preferences? 

As I said above, the catholic thing was just chum.  I really do not care, I was just responding to a stupid question.

You are agreeing to have Airbnb's opinions if you agree to this statement: You commit to treat everyone...without judgment.

That precludes your own opinions (also sometimes called judgments) about every issue.

The Community Commitment is not restricted to good people, applies to everyone.

David

Isn't "good people" a judgment?  Saying there are those who are not is a judgment.  Sorry, you are out.  You cannot host or rent with Airbnb because you judged.

AirBnB isn't telling you to become a catholic or to agree with them, they are telling you to treat them with respect like you should if you encounter one in the street.

if cannot treat them with respect, AirBnB reserves the right to do business with you.

Very simple.

That is not at all what they are saying.  They are saying I cannot make any judgment about them in my life.  The statement has nothing to do with renting a room, and I am not a renter.  It says to be part of this community I cannot judge anyone.

How do you feel about Donald Trump?  If you judge him to be wrong, you cannot be part of Airbnb.  That is what they are saying.

And since when can a company tell me what do do in the street?  Don't you love liberty?  How dare they.  They have no right to tell me how to live.

Even though politics wasn't addressed, I do not agree on Trump's or his supporters. But That does not give me any right to judge them o treat them differently.
They are people first, then they Have their political opinions.