The host doesn't answer anymore and won't cancel the reservation

Answered!
Thomas697
Level 1
Temse, Belgium

The host doesn't answer anymore and won't cancel the reservation

The host don't response anymore. She said the reservation can't continue but wanted me to relocate and I said no. After that no response anymore, but she needs to cancel so I can search for another place. I contacted Airbnb, no response. and I already made a request for canceling from her side. But I can't see the status of this request anywhere.

If I cancel I will lose 200+ euro's. After 40 hours still no response, very annoying. All the other apartments are getting full. I need to be there for business. And I have only 11 days left, to get my money back and find another place.

Kind regards,

Thomas

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

24 Replies 24

This didn't help even though it's a good idea.

Rubén16
Level 10
Vermont, United States

@Matthew285 @Bruna144 @Sandra856 @Marit-Anne0  From what I have been reading it seems the best course of action when a guest requests a cancellation is to decline?  am I correct?, since it seems any other option ( to accept or ignore) will be detrimental or cause harm to the hosting status of the host?

Rubén
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Rubén16 It is only if the host actually needs to cancel it makes sense to accept a request like that. When accepting a request like that, it is looked at, as a host cancellation and airbnb will penalise the host. 

As you probably know many hosts do not know that and accept realising to late that even though it was the guest that wanted to cancel the host is penalised. If the guest needs to cancel the guest can do so without sending a request. Some hosts may not see a request within the timeframe because they are on holiday themselves and the guest would be able to cancel the reservation on behalf of the host getting refunded if there is such a thing as a "silent accept".

Lifrancis0
Level 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Cynthia578
Level 2
Bayan Lepas, Malaysia

hello,

what if the guest decides to cancel and the guest has requested for the refund well in advanced of the date but the host has not responded.

its been 3 days so what should i do?

regards,

cynthia

Hi @Cynthia578 🙂

You can always cancel as a guest and you will get the money back according to the cancellation policy on the listing. So the host doesn't refund you. It all happens automatically. Also the host is not paid until after a guest checks-in. You pay airbnb when you book. 

So you just need to cancel as soon as possible when you know you won't be able to stay. Also you are blocking the dates so no one else can book the listing. 

So cancel and get whatever money back you are entitled to according to the cancellation policy.

Kind regards Sandra 

Hi @Sandra856 

Thank you so much for responding.

Do you by any chnace know how long it will take for the money to be refunded?

Its been about a week but so fr i've not received the refund.

Regards,

Cynthia

@Cynthia578 Hi 🙂

Did you cancel the reservation? If you did you can now see how much the refund/pay-out is on the reservation page. I don't know how long it takes for the refund to get back on your credit card but you can always reach out to airbnb asking them through the reservation. There is a place/link on the reservation page where you can contact airbnb.

Best, Sandra 

Hi sandra. thank you so much for your help.

I have cancled the reservation and made refund claims at the resolution center.  

as u can see below I was told my refund is on its way but it has been well over 5 business days now and im a little worried now as i still did not receive any refund.

i'm lost as to where else i can proceed from here. 

Your refund is on its way
We issued a refund of RM1462.61. While this refund is immediate on our part, you might not see the money reflected in your VISA •••• 5970 account until 5 business days later. Please contact your payment provider for additional information.
Get receipt

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Cynthia578 🙂

You can contact airbnb using this :

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/m-p/1072724#

Hope this helps you. 

Best, Sandra