The real Payout?

Colleen6
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

The real Payout?

Hi all out there.  Have any of you ever asked your guests what they paid?  We got quite a surprise when our guest told us how much he paid and yet we were paid out a huge amount less to the tune of R50000 which is about 3000Euros.  When I questioned airbnb they revealed that they take between 6% and 12% commission unlike the stated 3% and then they add the service fee for keeping the site going..... all this considered did not add up to the difference between what guest paid and what was paid out.

Am I the only one to discover this or has anyone else had a similar problem?

Many thanks Colleen

4 Replies 4
Peter32
Level 1
Denmark, Australia

Hi - yes i have discovered a similar discrepancy - in my case it is only a few dollars however leaves me somewhat uncomfortable with the transparency of the organisation.  I am still looking into this. -Peter

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Colleen6,

Yes, I thought this was common knowledge that Airbnb charges 6-12% to guest which can also "be higher or lower depending on the specifics of the reservation."  I also believe most hosts are aware that they get charged 3% of the booking which I am completely fine with.  Am I missing something?

Here is the article on Airbnb fees for guests: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/104/what-are-guest-service-fees

Here is the article on Airbnb fees for hosts: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/63/what-are-host-service-fees

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Guest paid $225 and i was paid $189 - second booking guest paid $75 and i got paid $63 and they returning in 2 weeks the same will happen.

Guest paid in January, Air bnb holds on to payment for 10 months - earned about 5% interest monthly on amount. so roughly $90

when i contacted airbnb - they blame the exchange rate. they must owner the rate in jANUARY.

plus guest service fee was taken, $201 dollars was for mem got paid $189

i'm checking all my bookings.

taking legal action against airbnb

i know activated smart pricing, my rate was dropped to R236 for a family room. NO GUESTHOUSE IN MY AREA CHARGES BELOW R500. DOES JUSTIFY OPERATING COST.

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This is pretty well known among Airbnb hosts. The company takes a fee from both sides.

I sometimes randomly see the price go up or down by £/$/€1, but I chalk this up to currency movements.

Lisa