Third party bookings

Denis130
Level 5
Lincoln City, OR

Third party bookings

Looking for recommendations on how to better deal with third parties who make reservation on behalf of actual guests.  Two examples.

1. I use "August" smart lock APP for front door access.  Guest was booked by his spouse, so she had all the Airbnb sign in data.  He arrived and could not access front door so we spent 30 minutes with August on the phone who said he (actual) guest  never completely signed into their APP so could not direct anything to happen.  He wrote this up as a check-in problem in his review.  

When his stay ended early and he wanted a refund for unused days another 30+ minutes spent on phone with Airbnb, complicated by his spouse doing the booking and not sharing sign in data with him.  He had to call her while talking with Airbnb, to obtain sign in info.

At a later point I called Airbnb asking if there was a mechanism to alert me (text or email) in advance if a guest had not successfully downloaded the August and/or APP, and she said she had never received training involving Airbnb & August link even though I had seen references to such an alliance on the Airbnb site.  Later I was able to find the link and the very next guest  used it as an Airbnb, and August link, and I got notification ahead of time that they were all set.

2. I now have another guest coming but reservation was made by his sister, who is not going to be a guest at all, but is who Airbnb will be the contact.  Tried unsuccessfully to get her to forward the August APP installation email to her brother,  but since she does not see the urgency has not.  

3. There's also another question wtih regard to 2 above.  If a third party is doing the booking, where is the security screen for actual guest?

43 Replies 43

I included "no 3rd party bookings" as a part of my listing but still get folks doing so because except for a very few they don't read any detail.  

Usually only catch it because of comments at initial booking or when I tell them, through email (Airbnb)I am sending an August Smart Lock to the number listed on booking and they say, "That's not my number, and I'm not staying, just booking".  I call Airbnb and cancel booking after telling whoever did booking to turn that task over to whoever is staying, due 3rd party not allowed, plus would not be covered by insurance.  So far all have been understanding.

In addition to “No third party booking”, there should also be “If you insist on booking on behalf of other guests, you fully agree that you will be completely responsible for any damages/ violations of house rules done by the guests that you’re booking for.”

That should set it clear, whether or not they read the House Rules 🙂

Exactly!!!

See my reply to this original post. There is a way to determine if the person booking is the person who intends to stay. I won't even accept anyone if they don't respond back to my questions when they send a request for booking. If they meet all my requirements and instant book and they haven't answered my questions which I actually mention and point out to them needs to be addressed in my listing description then I would also contact customer service and have them cancel the reservation at no penalty to me.  The longer I host the more I find that more stringent requirements is recipe for success and avoidance of problem guests. It takes a lot of concentration time energy from my life to provide good accommodations for guests and I don't want to settle for people who can't read and who don't really fit my particular circumstance. Last time I was a guest going up to Washington State I brought small gifts for my hosts. I left them in a gift bag and they were a cute little wind chime along with a little sign that welcome guests so they could reuse them. They both expressed appreciation for my little extra Touch of gratitude.

Very well stated. My first 5 months were great, no problems... but as the busy season has slowed, I've had a series of much below average guests... so I've turned off instant bookings until I get a grip on how to manage... as you do! 

Rose125
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

We just had an experience where a travel agent tried to third party book. He represented himself as the guest that would be staying in his reservation request. After acceptance he started talking about “ the guest”.  When I asked him to verify that he was an attending guest on the reservation he ignored me. We contacted Airbnb support right away via e mail and they responded right back...within minutes.  They helped to confirm our suspicion that it was indeed a third party booking and assured us that they would contact the booking individual and cancel the reservation all without any penalty or loss of Superhost status. We were informed that the right thing to do is to contact Support first before canceling the reservation and to let them do it once the case is verified. This is how to avoid any penalty and they handle the whole thing.  Our House Rules state clearly that we do not accept Third Party bookings so their decision was that he was in violation of that. They could not have been more prompt or helpful. Many thanks to John J. and Jay from Customer Support. We have had to contact them for help twice now and they have been great. 

I am brand spanking new to hosting and my first two bookings starting Nov 5 are through 3rd party bookings. I listed my property not a week ago and I already had responses. I was pretty pleased! But now reading this thread is making me worried. I don't have a "No 3rd party booking" clause in my listing. The second one is still an inquiry and potentially for a 6 month to a year reservation. Is this the rental scam people are talking about on other threads? Wow, this can get overwhelming and seriously spoil the experience of hosting. I am waiting for a call back from AirBnB customer service. Appreciate any advice you have for me. Thanks in advance!

Third party bookings aren't allowed by AirBNB rules.  You don't need to have it in yours.  I would tell the booker that third party bookings are against the rules and that they will need to cancel the reservation and have the person who is staying book the reservation.  If they give you an excuse, like "I'll be penalized", say "so will I, but this is an AirBNB rule that you agreed to when you signed up.  Please cancel, or I will be forced to contact AirBNB directly".  They usually end up cancelling.

So it gets worse. I contacted AirBnB this morning and they suggested that since this booking has been made for over 3 days, I cannot cancel the booking, even though it was via IB. The CSR suggested that I let the person booking know that they should do this via a business account and have the actual guest register an account and link the two accounts. When I suggested this to the lady, asked her if she worked for this company and if this is the business account, she replies, "No, we don't work for this company 🙂 I myself will be in and out at times during the period stay, so it would be a personal trip on my Airbnb account." (The original premise: Two very adult Tesla technicians visiting - I assumed they are visiting the factory or headquarters. Too naive!)  She is in addition to these two guys. The total number of guests on the booking is still 2. She was not clear upfront and now I feel like I was cheated into this booking I can't seem to get out of without a possible negative review. How do I deal with this situation? 

Hi again Supriya,

Others more skilled than I may have another answer, so look for those too.

Airbnb also has "approved guests" since I have run into this before myself.  Reommend emailing woman doing initial booking and just tell her that in order for you to be covered as a host by Airbnb insurance you need to have all three approved by Airbnb, or the booking will be cancelled.  Most will respond positively to such request, which may require her to have the other two guests get Airbnb approval, but submitting their own data. 

You should also keep Airbnb in the loop about this third party booking, in the event you have to cancel them, so you are held harmless by Airbnb for the cancellation.  Have them communicate that to you via email so you have record.  It is Airbnb's policy not to accept third party bookings, so it should not be an issue.

Cheers

I did this exact thing yesterday ie advised guest to call airbnb- GUESS what , Airbnb sided with the guest and fully refunded the guest. I turned down bookings on other platforms, and further, spent money paying a cleaning company to get my place ready for the guest. The airbnb person was not helpful at all. So 1) don't accept 3rd party bookings 2) when guest arrives, report to airbnb. 

Suggest in future you call Airbnb directly, do not  suggest that the guest call.  If they call they will represent their cause/purpose.  Will not likely be to your benefit.

1. Airbnb does not allow third party  bookings (spouse/secretary/co-worker/scammer/boyfriend/girlfriend) and will not cover third party guests if they break a leg or burn down your house.  Person booking has to be a guest in your home.

2. If you don't call Airbnb directly and request that they contact the third party booking person and then cancel that third party booking, you will be penalized for a cancellation if you do it yourself.

Denis130
Level 5
Lincoln City, OR

Greetings Supriya,

Third party bookings are allowed by Airbnb, with the biggest issue for you is that Airbnb's insurance would not cover anyone in your home under the third party booking.  So that you don't cancel them, and get penalized for a cancellation, be sure to call Airbnb direct and let them work it out with the third party.

You may find out the third party is a spouse that only thinks it's okay to book on behalf of their loved one or it could in fact be a ruse. 

Sorry mistyped.  Third party bookings are NOT ALLOWED BY Airbnb.

Phew! I had a mini heart attack there! :))