Tips for Writing Response

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Tips for Writing Response

Just had a guest from VRBO and when I went to respond to their excellent  review, I noticed these helpful hints they give as a general guide. 

• Address future renters that will be reading your response, not the reviewer.
  • Show your responsiveness and your professionalism, not your temper.
  • A thoughtful, constructive response can add credibility for you and your vacation home, especially if you have other positive reviews.
  • Address any issues that you have already fixed.
  • (My addition - give hints on coming attractions if opportunity arises in the conversation)
29 Replies 29

Ange. You make a most interesting point. Things mentioned in responses, appear to be picked up more by guests than additions or modifications to the general description which go a lot less noticed. Which suggest, responses perhaps can be used for many puposes. 😉

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Fred , we are new on VRBO and we have a question for you: is it possible to leave a text review for your guests on VRBO? Or we can just give them stars? We can't figure it out. 

You sure could and they also give you plenty of time to even 'Edit' your respond (days). Imagine how helpful this is to those that at first left a response still too emotional.  😉

You can only give them stars for your review of them. As Fred says you do have a lot of time to edit your response which is helpful if you were to emotional when you wrote it. However, the tips they give have prevented me from making that mistake.

I have read all your reviews as well as your answers. You added quite a lot of things - not only new mattresses, but new boats, ect. - all expensive things, and more going out, new tips for your guests, etc.

And, no - I did not read what is in your listing description. Though, these suggestions were well mesured.

Lilly, thank God it is all relative, small increments of improvement will do, so perhaps a good rule of thumb is to:

1. Take say 5% of profits to improve one's place along the way.

2. Take a little time each week to ~promote~ one's place; via learning of other ways to list it (i.e. one's own website), new photos, better description, thanking past guests, thinking of incentive ways to cause guests to extend their bookings, etc etc. Something, can't hurt. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Really great topic. I see so many bad host responses to negative (or even slightly negative) reviews, this is definitely something that's needed. I especially agree with bearing in mind that it's for future guests, not the person who reviewed you, and not being angry when you write it. 

A tutorial on how not to respond publically to private feedback would be a good idea also, if you're taking requests!

Aye Alex, it is sooo important and is a discussion that comes up so much all the time, and we ALL have to learn how to response individually, perhaps it merits an easy-to-reference spot in this forum. Imagine what we could come up with.

You are so right! I have made that mistake when upset and regretted it. On ABB their is no chance to make it right, but on VRBO you can.

Rupi2
Level 3
Dehradun, India

Thats a great idea .. Thanks for sharing!

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kimberly54

I think what VRBO means is address a issue that the reviewer complained about  which you have already fixed. For example, if the reviewer says the remote for the TV didn't work. The host would say, thank you for letting us know the remote wasn't working, we have replaced it. In the future pls don't hesitate to tell us about a problem while you are there as we truly want you to have a 5 star experience and we will fix any issue upon finding out about it because if you are happy we are happy... or something to that affect. 

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

@Kimberly0

I think what VRBO means is address a issue that the reviewer complained about  which you have already fixed. For example, if the reviewer says the remote for the TV didn't work. The host would say, thank you for letting us know the remote wasn't working, we have replaced it. In the future pls don't hesitate to tell us about a problem while you are there as we truly want you to have a 5 star experience and we will fix any issue upon finding out about it because if you are happy we are happy... or something to that affect. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

I agree, if an issue arises in a public review, then address it immediately, through the review.

If raised in private feedback, then you can always send an Airbnb message  stating you thank them for there constructive comment, and "you will be happy to know, that we've done this ........

helps if they want to refer you to others."

@Cathie19   Good point about replying only to the public review in public and  replying to the private review in a message to the guest,  if need be.  I have seen some hosts public responses based on private feedback that mentioned issues, even though the public review mentioned none of it and was a good review.

Ariel10
Level 3
Orlando, FL

Thanks for the tips, great post.