To 1st Timer Host or Not?

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

To 1st Timer Host or Not?

We have always given 1st time Airbnb'r babies a shot. We love the culture and community so much, we want to share it with others--and honestly, the vast majority pass with flying colors...

However, after yesterday, I'm rethinking this,  and want to hear from all of you. Heres what happened:

Inquirey comes in with the following message from a user registered August 2016-- First name only:

"message_to_host"         (yes, This was the actual into/request) 

HA!! I'm thinking, WTH is that?

In her second message she addressed me as "hun"

"Hun?" are you kidding? Are you an over-worked waitress in a diner taking my order at 2AM?  I probably should have just hit "Decline" as I can already tell this one has red flag written all over it. Yes, I accepted it, but immediatly had regret.

Do you accept first time users? Why?

Do you NOT accept first time users? Why not?

Your thoughts on this scenerio?

9 Replies 9

I can't see the message! !! Now I'm really intrigued and I am left hanging here.... how do I see this person's message?

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

David and Robin, You didnt miss a thing... Her "I would love to come stay at your beauiful home" message was literally,

message_to_host

message to host that WAS the message- with underscores between_the_words.

It was like she was just to busy to write an actual message, say hello-- tell me reasons for coming...you know the drill. 

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

She may just not have known how. We get mostly newbies and a fair number of them over 50. (We are in that age group too.) Sometimes they have trouble with the site and knowing how to use it. We sometimes have to walk them through the process. We have had good luck with newbies and enjoy introducing them to airbnb. It is fun to give them a great first experience and make them into airbnb fans! Best of luck.

Nancy67
Level 10
Charleston, SC

We are too. (Mid 50's) ADORE my newbies in that age range.!!!! This one looks early 20-something. The young ones freak me out-- they have  high expectation for what they think this is about, and what they should "get"   but have little regard for the way they act, treat my home or communicate. Youth-- wasted on the young.  😉 

Rhonda20
Level 2
Mobile, AL

I recently started just renting a room out instead of my whole house and my first fifteen guests have been newbies .  I love hosting them!!  So far they have loved it!!  Rhonda. 😉

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I have come to discover that anything less than friendly communication from a guest, newbie or not, has resulted in less than satisfying experience. This one would not be sitting well with me,aand  I would either decline or ask for more information to see if her communication style improved.

Jude 

Christine218
Level 3
Solana Beach, CA

I have hosted numerous newbies - I find it an opportunity to both educate them on what it means to stay in an Airbnb and also to make a good impression on them. 

Elizabeth156
Level 2
New York, NY

First time users never seem to read any further than the listing titile but then often this applies as well to seasoned travelers. I suggest airbnb give every listing a number as VRBO does as many of my users dont remember which property they are booking as I have a few in the same location.

Most of my first time users are lovely but all of us hosts get a feel for the fools out there and thus I try to dissuade them from coming.. I often get the abuse of five people booking a one bedroom and I tell them no way only two to a room is my  limit.Hang them if they dont like it my listing says it and thats just the way it is!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Nancy67,

Great to speak with you. 

I hope you don't mind, I have just moved this thread from Host Voice as that is specifically for Ideas, into the Host Board here. 

Happy discussing! 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.