Trying to get support for Short-Term Rental zoning in Daytona Beachside

Krista19
Level 2
Daytona Beach, FL

Trying to get support for Short-Term Rental zoning in Daytona Beachside

Hi Community!

We currently host in Daytona Beach and the city is starting to consider either banning Airbnb all together OR changing the ordinance to allow Short Term Rentals with rules/taxes.  We think it would be great if they would create an ordinance that allows Short Term Rentals with rules that we must follows.  Our goal is to get 5000 signatures and we need the communities support.  Here is our petition, let's stop the ignorance about our ability to share and get this community back towards prosperity!

Thank you!

https://www.change.org/p/city-of-daytona-beach-commissioners-and-mayor-tell-daytona-beach-commission...

42 Replies 42
Donna473
Level 3
Ormond Beach, FL

I read your comment on Daytona and Ormond by the Sea. Does this also apply to Ormond Beach (Mainland)? Ive just recently heard that there is an ordinance banning rentals less than a month. 

Hi Donna and Scott, I was wondering if you heard anything more about the ordinance banning rentals less than a month.  I have a rental property in Ormond Beach and was wondering what the status is on the lawsuite.

The lawsuit is for City of Daytona, there is no lawsuit in Ormond that I am aware of.  We lost our suit and are now in appeals 

I believe Ormond mainland is 30 days or maybe 6 months and is the strictest of them all 😕

Josiah6
Level 2
West Norriton, PA

Please repost your number as **

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

This site does not allow me to do that

Tami60
Level 2
Montana, United States

Hi Krista

Do you have an update to the case?

At this point we lost and are in appeal

Will Daytona Beach ever catch up to the times.  I mean its already not the nicest beach it could be so much better why wont they let short term rentals....!?? Its really frustrating and confusing 

Elaine196
Level 2
Mary Esther, FL

I am currently in Mary Esther, FL.  I am going against the City since they have found me in violation of renting for 30+ days (after they told me I couldn't do less than 30 days.)  They actually made an error initially and issued a license to me.  I called and inquired BEFORE I even purchased the house and put 40K in renovations!!!  Now they are telling me I have to rent long term and even put the utilities in the tenant's name.  There is NOTHING in the LDC showing the duration.  Their LDC doesn't mention anything about No short term rentals in the R-1 District.  It only shows no "commercial activity".  There is a recent case where the 1st DCA appeals court ruled that "A residential property in a residential neighborhood is not considered commercial/business no matter what the duration.  Bay County (Panama City) now has short term rentals.

The case is under Santa Monica HOA v. Acord

You might want to look that one up.  I think we have a great case.  We are trying to get a violation now so we can go before the magistrate to see if they can make a ruling against the City before we go to court.

Also, my fingers are crossed that Florida House will attempt to pass another bill regarding STR and move everything to the State to stop all these little cities from enforcing non-existing rules!!!

I didn't see your ad to sign the petition or I surely would have done so.

My phone number is ** if you would like to call me. 

Elaine

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Jayne34
Level 4
Deltona, FL

I forgot to follow this so never saw all past posts. Is there still a group working on this? I know a lot of Airbnbs in Daytona dont post outside pics so the city cant find them. I was just notified airbnb will be collecting and remitting resort tax so now the city will have a full address list. This doesnt affect me because I'm one of the few that are located in correct zoning however I want to buy the house next door to airbnb also which isnt zoned correctly. It makes no sense to not allow in my location as it's near Main st and the property across the street is commercial. It is definitely not a location a person would buy for a long term home but perfect for tourists. So add me and let me know anything I can do to help!

Jayne Rocco
Jerome246
Level 2
Austin, TX

We’re also interested in any further updates on this. We’ve just recently received a zoning violation notice from the city at our property that’s about a block away from Main St. We have a neighbor who likes to park in front of our property and we suspect she has reported us to the city because our guests have inconvenienced her by parking in her favorite spot, forcing her to park further down the street. We’re interested in keeping in the loop on this as it progresses and support in any way we can.

Jeff759
Level 2
Kent, WA

Does anyone know what is going on with this appeal? When it is rescheduled? Does anyone ever respond to this conversation?