Uncooperative Guests

Kristiina0
Level 2
Tallinn, Estonia

Uncooperative Guests

Hello,

There was a sudden bout of very low temperatures, which resulted the kitchen water having been frozen. The plumber asked to place a hot air blower next to the frozen pipe in the bathroom in order to thaw it. I asked the guests to keep the blower on, but when I went to check it 24h later they had switched it off.

The pipe is still frozen, there is still no water in the kitchen, the guests are still unhappy.
I have given the guests 100 EUR as a compensation for the inconvenience, but feel that they need to cooperate.

Kindly advise how to proceed.

With best wishes, and a very Happy new Year!

Kristiina

4 Replies 4
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Kristiina0, your guests probably turned off the hair dryer because of the noise and I wouldn't blame them.  Also, I would think a hair dryer might be dangerous as it could short out and cause a fire.   Perhaps a small electric heating pad of some sort would be better? Something that isn't noisy. 

By the way, your house is beautiful! Question about your pricing:  If I came with 4 people, could I rent the entire place for the price you listed? I have an entire home too, but I charge about 4 times more than what you listed.  Are you charging per person?

Hope this helps!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi again Clare, I think Kristina's listing reads quite clearly. It reads as a Duplex with sleeping accommodation for 4, and it goes on to say $82au pr night for 2 guests and $15au per additional guest!

And I agree with you Clare, it looks just wonderful.....as does yours.....you must be most proud of it!!! Cheers....Rob

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi Kristiina, Here is Australia we don't have the problem of frozen pipes but in situations where it could possibly be a problem ie: air conditioning systems, we insulate the pipes. Now I am not familiar with Estonia but, from your listing you are by the sea which should mean the ambient temperature should not be as cold as an inland area. Water pipe insulation can be bought very cheaply and, if possible could solve your freezing issues. Having to refund money 'sucks'..... you work so hard for what you get. It may be better to spend a little bit of money on insulation rather than having to refund.

I agree with Clare, your listing looks wonderful...when can we come!!!   Cheers....Rob

We have just had the same problem with a guest.  Her personality and demenour upon arrival was one of anger (not a happy woman).  We went out of our way to make her welcome and did extra things to be gracious hosts.  The temperature then went down to below -30C and the shower froze.  Not all the plumbing mind you - just the shower on the last morning of their stay.

She's now "shaking us down" for a rebate.

We've had nothing but stellar reviews and would like to keep our track record.  It is understood that we can't please everyone, but some feedback would be appreciated.