Unverified guest/no profile photo able to book

Jace4
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Unverified guest/no profile photo able to book

I have one of my guest rooms that I have opened up as a listing for the past month, and it has gone pretty smoothly. I have instant book on with the normal requirements plus pets, noise, stairs, etc, but I have my first guest that has a newly created profile without a photo or reviews that was able to book the room in mid February. I am a little annoyed, and have started being snappy with the support person I have been paired with because on the app it clearly says all guests will have verified profiles and a photo *before* they can book (open app > go to listings tab > select listing > booking settings > Guest requirements > Airbnb requirements).

"Your guests will always meet the following requirements before they book.

Confirmed email address and phone number

Upload a profile photo

Write an introductory message

Provide payment information"

The support guy linked me to these two pages:

1. airbnb.com/help/article/67
  2. airbnb.com/help/article/1170

Article 1170 says that a photo for a guest is optional, but the app makes it seem mandatory. I feel like this needs some attention, as it's a safety issue for everyone. I don't want a random, unverified, unidentifiable people coming into the house. I have updated the instant book so guests need positive recommendations before booking, but that seems like bad marketing since all the people that have stayed so far have been young and just starting their traveling post-university or while on break from school, so they don't have many trips under their belt, yet.

Update: the support guy asked the guest to upload a photo to his profile. It's not a great way to handle the situation. I would like Airbnb to have one rule on this issue; not two conflicting rules.

16 Replies 16

the solution?  (i work in HR and have an I/O psych masters in which i learned how to measure discrimination legal and to promote affirmative action not quota systems) to require race on profile back end with a qualifier that states not used for consideration purposes blah blah only for reporting on demographics. 

if abb REALLY wanted to encourage fairness it would write code and algos that identify and ding or remove hosts who continually decline minorities.  that's the REAL gauge, not concealing a photo--which is laughable and only a face value "see we don't encourage discrimination".  when you go to an interview the employer immediately knows your gender, race and may be able to guess on ethnicity.  and now that's happening at the booking stage not the vetting stage. 

ya'll need to be creative and resourceful, people are easy to figure out and find on SM and LI

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Sammy35
Level 10
Pittsburgh, PA

people this is legal doubletalk
the intent is not to clarify
the intent is to avoid risk and not maintain legal liability

sorry, no one wants to hear that.  its just a fact

fair housing act laws apply here.  photos are litigious.  eventually names (due to ethnicity/racial generalizatoins traditions) will be blocked.  i'm telling ya...wait for it...

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it