Verify my ID

Answered!

Verify my ID

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am amazed by the lack of support from the Help centre! After uplodading six time six different pics of my Passport, AirBnB wants now to access my gmail or linked profile and access all my contacts to verify mi ID!!! Does anyone knows how to get around this? I am not really happy with giving them for free my entire network.

Thank you for your help with this.

Ambroise

1 Best Answer
City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Create a new account on the websites they require and direct them to that account, or upload other contact information but don't give out passwords.  Only include the information you want them to have. 

If you don't have Facebook, create a FB account with a few pictures of your life and minimal information, then use that to link to Airbnb. 

Your potential hosts want to be able to know that you are a real person with a real home and real friends, not a shadowy underworld figure.

Try Googling yourself and see what all you come up with.  Then link your Airbnb account to that, because it is public knowledge anyway.

There is no privacy on the internet.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Ambroise0

If you are unhappy with the setup then maybe airbnb is not for you ?

Well, thank you for taking time to get back to my concern. Not sure in what extend this was really helpful though...

That is a terrible answer Marit Anne. When I joined Airbnb in 2012 I had to prove who I was by 1. a referral by an existing airbnb member and 2. Provide a photo of government issued ID.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO reason airbnb need to infringe privacy by requesting access to contacts in your email or anything else that is IRRELEVANT to being a host.

Your answer is embarrasing.

@Pam-and-Kai0

I also joined in 2012 and had to give a copy of my passport. Cannot say I was thrilled about it, but had no other choice if I wanted to list.  And I did want to list simply because they offered a secure payment option and protected the hosts from scammers.

As a guest one has choices to use platforms where you do not have to reveal so much personal info.  

Checking my profile lately, I found that it had been linked to FB even though I delinked a long time ago.  

Listing on a different platform, I had to give out proof of ownership and that was all. There are other options for many.

🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Create a new account on the websites they require and direct them to that account, or upload other contact information but don't give out passwords.  Only include the information you want them to have. 

If you don't have Facebook, create a FB account with a few pictures of your life and minimal information, then use that to link to Airbnb. 

Your potential hosts want to be able to know that you are a real person with a real home and real friends, not a shadowy underworld figure.

Try Googling yourself and see what all you come up with.  Then link your Airbnb account to that, because it is public knowledge anyway.

There is no privacy on the internet.

Good tip. Indeed, it was worth trying the googling thing! Many thanks.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Some hosts don't require as much verification.  Only if you want to use Instant Book.

I am sorry to bother you again. I scanned my passport and it was accepted. Then I linked my gmail account with the Airbnb account as suggested but the system kept saying that it could not sign in...I checked it manually and I can sign in my gmail account anytime. I moved to the "Lern more" page but could not find something helpfull really. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Many thanks,

The website can be glitchy.  You might need to call Airbnb (Google their number or seach for 'contact Airbnb' on this community forum) and ask them to help you make the connection or to fix it so you do not need to do so.

Your listing looks nice.  I would put some information about yourself on your profile so the guests feel comfortable with you as a person.  I would ask a friend or two to write a 'recommendation' or have someone you know go through the booking process and stay overnight and you can pay them back the Airbnb fees so they can leave a review for you.

If you rent a single room each to different parties of travelers, you need to list the rooms separately (as private rooms in a shared house) and manually block the calendars so you don't double book.  If you rent the whole house, do you want a huge rowdy party?  You need to upgrade your house rules to exclude that kind of thing, unless you don't care about it.

You could also try linking from a different browser.  Are you using a PC or a phone? 

@Ambroise0   I totally understand,  email and phone number with uploaded passport etc. should suffice.  What if you don't have any social media accounts? Plus, I never understand why people put so much faith in it, it's probably the easiest way to fake and create an ID that there is.

@Ambroise0, @City-Limits-Ranch0, @Ange2, I had a guest tell me he could not use his facebook account for verification, as the system told him he had too few friends and not enough recent activity. So setting up a just-for-Airbnb facebook account may not be a complete breeze. Just throwing that in, since it is not something I would have known otherwise.

Bruce53
Level 2
Cygnet, Australia

I am also new to AIRBNB and have been asked to provide govt id. Thats ok, did that but now they want my log in password for linkedin or facebook or etc..

These are private login details and anyone would be naive to give them out.

If this is a requirement I will be terminating the relationship with AirBnB.

Totally unnecessary as my public profile is available without revealing secure passwords.