Very nervy request!

Kitty39
Level 2
Ponchatoula, LA

Very nervy request!

My guest set up a recording studio and then asked my yard man to be quiet or come back later.

this happened today, a Monday after 12:00 noon and they were given advance notice.

im so pissed right now.

thanks!

Kitty

5 Replies 5
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Kitty39

✔️ You do state that persons will be on site without notice for maintenance and pool cleaning.

You don’t state whether you live anywhere on the same property/ grounds.

🙌🏼 If so, you need to make this clear in your descriptor.

🙌🏼 If not, then guests need to have some idea of workers’ movements as they have rented the space looking for privacy....

👉🏼 How long are these guests staying, and are they there by themselves or a cohort with musical instruments?

🙌🏼 Personally, I would consider a guest setting up a recording studio, unannounced, depending on the circumstances, as an event, rather than a hobby; and therefore, at your discretion, not theirs. 

✔️ You also state the owners and friends may come on site to use the shared pool facility. This implies lack of privacy and that this often entails a level of noise.....

🗣 I think you need to have a cheery chat with the guest depending on the length of stay,

“that to “call back” a maintenance worker, incurs an extra call out fee for you the owner,

and extra charges due to the extended time, as their job list and time allocation was interrupted by the guest.” Colloquially, let them know you will not pass that cost on to them in good faith.

I would document the main points via Airbnb message site. “Cheery”!

👆🏼 - Was the noise level of the job being undertaken, within the normal day sound decibel acceptance range? 

👆🏼 - Is your house (guest suite) soundproofed or fit for purpose as a recording studio?

👆🏼 - Has there been a conversation in print, where the guest has notified you that they intend to use the space as a recording studio? 

🙌🏼 I think if the noise level is acceptable and the house is not advertised for this purpose, or no discussion has been had, then the  guest cannot dictate the movements of a worker they are not paying.

🧐 Maybe you might need to look at the type of work being undertaken and when, and notify that the gardener will be on site using mower/leaf blowers etc at this ...... time, on Tuesday and Fridays. Put this in you rules stating, unless otherwise notified, this happens ...... at these times....

🙌🏼 This way everyone can plan, and no one gets upset.

We have to work around the weather as to when the work gets done.

they were informed of the work.

it is my responsibility to keep the 3 acre site tidy

it was unacceptable for guest to ask gardener to be quiet.

recording studio was never part of the conversation 

Then you have options available to you.

The three Fs: firm, friendly but fair...:)

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kitty39

Your insurance probably does not cover you for commercial activity happening on your property, so I suggest you send a cease and desist notice to your guest using the Airbnb system.

It would be hard to know if this was a commercial venture or a hobbyist. But I agree with you Cormac that insurance would alter if commercial.