Violation to Hosts

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Violation to Hosts

I have had a disput with Airbnb regarding ratings.  A guests "**" who did not know how to communicate, tried to tell ME the right way to communicate with other guests.  This person was the booking guests and there were six in total in her group.  She took off on her own agenda without introducing me to the others in the group.  She did not have her cell phone with her.  The other guests did not lock the house when they left for the evening and left the key on the table.  ** did not think that to inform her friends that everyone was on their own to do as they wished.  The house was cluttered with gargage even though there were five trash bins provided.  She left me a one star review in communication because she did not feel it was her responsibility to let her friends know that there was a lock box and a code number.  When I put the key in the box and locked up the house, I emailed her through airbnb messaging.  She accused me of locking her friends out of the house.  Sorry honey...but we always lock doors as I would think you do too.  They young kids dont think and they are entitled to do what they wish.  

Airbnb said she was within the policy guidelines to view her opinion without incidence.  She gave me glowing review on everything else.."but" and I was rewarded a 3 star because she didnt appreciate being interupted to be told of the key in the lock box.  Lazy person if you ask me.  Ive been in the wedding industry for 40 years and I know that there is always time to speak to other people besides the bride.  She made it seem like she was glued to the bride all night.  What about the groom...please give me a break!  I had an arguement with Airbnb over the review system and that this first time guest was less than knowledged about proper ediquette when staying in private accommodations.  Shame on this guests...and shame, shame, shame on Airbnb.  I can assure everyone this will catch up with someone at some time sooner or later.  In the meanwhile, there is a warning and read reviews of young adults  who just dont think beyond their needs being met.  You cant argue reality with them...they dont hear you...and neither does Airbnb.

**[Sensitive information hidden - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Reply 1
John-and-Tim0
Level 4
Palm Springs, CA

@Judy29,

We're sure this situation was frustrating for you.  And it appears it was frustrating to the guest as well.  When we run into these situations we always ask ourselves what we could have done to help the situation or what process we could have followed to turn it into a win. Sometimes we're so close to something we can't see it clearly.  I know we're that way sometimes. 

We work in the events industry too and we understand people always don't get it.  That's ok.  It's up to us as hosts to make sure they do in a positive and constructive way. Time always usually brings perspective.  

happy hosting!