Weather situation in UK this weekend

Pippa13
Level 3
Weybridge, United Kingdom

Weather situation in UK this weekend

I have a booking this weekend (2 nights) and the guests are concerned about travelling given the snow in the UK.  They have not asked to cancel - as they will try to travel down if they can.  But if the weather and roads get worse they just may not make it down.

I have a 'strict' canx policy so I guess I could be hard-nosed about it... but want the guests to be happy and not feel hard done by.    I wondered if others are experiencing the same - guests who may not be able to travel to their airbnb in UK this weekend - and if there are any tips or best practice advice on erring on the generous side - but not losing out completely....

Pippa

6 Replies 6

@Pippa13 - as a host and as a guest there is a cancellation exception policy called "Extenuating Circumstances Policy".  If the guests meet the criteria, Airbnb will determine this not you, Airbnb may, regardless of your cancellation policy, refund the guest in full and pay you nothing.  If the guests tell you they aren't coming due to weather, they need to get ahold of Airbnb to be eligible for this cancellation exception.  You can simply send them the links and wish the guests well, it's out of your hands.  This is why you pay a fee to Airbnb - they handle the money and payments. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnb-s-guest-refund-policy

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/311/do-i-get-a-full-refund-if-i-cancel

There are so many threads about how to handle refunds if you want to give the guest one on your own.  People have lots of opinions about how and when to do this.  Search for "refund" here in the forums and read lots for alternatives.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/165/how-do-i-refund-my-guest

No matter what happens, do not cancel for the guest.  It is their responsibility to take this step and you can be penalized for cancelling. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I had something similar with a flood this past weekend, @Pippa13. My cancellation policy is flexible, just because weather does play a part here. Two of my bookings rescheduled, one cancelled citing extenuating circumstances - which I proved with photos - but the fourth decided to come and assess, like yours. The water had fallen by Sunday, but the grounds were very sloppy - it had been river bottom the day before. I promised a credit for a future stay if they decided to go home, since we were well past the point of no return regarding a refund even with a flexible policy. (They did stay, and had fun combing the riverbank for flood flotsam.)

I err on the side of generosity when weather is involved and the guest communicates. I think you have to. If yours don't arrive, they will just use the extenuating circumstances clause, and will be annoyed with you because they had to do that. If you provide a refund, they will be happy. Either way you don't get paid, but the latter makes for less stress. 

That said, if they offer some sort of split, take it!

I hope they come and all is well. 

Actually, @Pippa13, I like @Alice-and-Jeff0's answer better. It fits your circumstance better.

It's funny @Lawrene0 - I think pawning off the decision if the guest is eligible for a refund onto Airbnb is less stressful 🙂  

You're right, @Alice-and-Jeff0. It is when extenuating circumstances gets refused because you try to talk them out of coming and they do anyway that the trouble comes. I had my situations mixed up, and I have experienced that one, too. In that case, @Pippa13 will get paid, but the guest may be unhappy and then there will be a vicious review to try to get down. It will all be okay in any case, Pippa. Do what you think is best, but do leave it completely up to the guest, as Alice advises. 

Pippa13
Level 3
Weybridge, United Kingdom

Thank you Lawrence and Alice - good advice and thoughts.  Much appreciated!