What are the responsibilities of the guest re: bed stripping and making?

Answered!

What are the responsibilities of the guest re: bed stripping and making?

Hello!

This is my first time spent in an Airbnb, and I'm admittedly both confused and frustrated with my experience, and I could use some clarification.

Because I knew that I would have to return this room I'm using to the way I found it before, I kept it very clean and I regularly made sure everything I could was neat. I even washed the sheets and put them neatly back on the bed because he asked me to strip the bed. I would like to think that I'm not an ungrateful or a rude guest. However, I just got lectured because two giant packages in the owner's name arrived at the door and they were new sheets, and I was told that stripping the bed entailed taking those packages up and putting these new sheets on the bed. I did not know that these packages were for my room, and to be honest, I feel a little hurt and offended. Moreover, I understand stripping beds being a responsibility - When I was growing up, stripping the bed meant removing the sheets and pillow cases and leaving them folded on the bed for others. But I didn't think I would have to prepare the bed myself? And since the owners regularly bring in cleaners, I don't understand why they were yelling at me about such a minor mistake/misunderstanding. 

I just wanted to know if I was breaking some unspoken rule that I didn't know of before. I don't mean to offend. Thank you.

1 Best Answer

@Daniel1824  Sounds like a confusing and upsetting experience.  But, expectations do vary from host to host, I do not expect my guests to do strip their beds, best is to read the description and rules and if in doubt ask.  If it was not clear or not mentioned in the rules I suggest you relay this to the host and suggest they make it crystal clear for future guests.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Daniel1824  Sounds like a confusing and upsetting experience.  But, expectations do vary from host to host, I do not expect my guests to do strip their beds, best is to read the description and rules and if in doubt ask.  If it was not clear or not mentioned in the rules I suggest you relay this to the host and suggest they make it crystal clear for future guests.

Thank you! I just checked the rules, and it wasn't specified, but I'll definitiely keep that in mind for the future. Much appreciated!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Daniel1824,

There is no fixed rule to it. It also depends on the lenght of stay.

If you have booked a short stay, for example upto 1 week, simply leave the bed as it is when checking-out, unless house rules or host mention it otherwise. When it is a longer stay, then useally the host (or the cleaners) are changing the bed. But can also be they  just provide the bedlinnen and you have to change it yourself. I myself allways ask the guest what they prefer.

Houserules and communication with host will make it clear what to expect in a specific situation.

Best regards, Emiel

I see! Thank you very much, this was very enlightening and it's greatly appreciated!